win98 + VIA ac97

Trancelistic

Hi all, I'm trying to give my old laptop some new life with installing windows 98 again.

I do have most experience with this old OS, However I cannot get the sound to work.

The install (for win98) does find it, and install properly but after a reboot it gave the following flag in the decive manager: ( I'll try my best to translate the info into English):

-

"The NTkern.VXD, MMDEVLDR.VXD device program(s) are unable to load the driver(s) for this device. (CODE 2)"

Checking out the installed drivers, they are all there. ( well it shows a bunch, check screenshot)

I've provided some screenshots, taken on win98 and on winxp ( dual boot, same system)

On winxp, the sound automaticly installed, during setup, saying its a via ac97 WDM etc. So Therefor I've googled for the via ac97 for win98 and installed that on the win98 OS. It installed fine, but still no sound and a flag in device manger as said above.

Any 1 knows what I'm doing wrong?

A solution would be awsome.

Some specs:

Its a compaq evo n150 laptop, 700 hz celleron 64 mb solderd memory minus 8mb for the video ( wonder win xp ran with 56 mb of memory) . I believe with the appollo chipset and via southbrigde. I can look it up wich one with cpu-z if needed.

Greetz trancelistic.

EDIT for some spellings ( I hope i got all )

Ps: On the official HP/COMPAQ site, onder the page for driver for my Compaq EVO n150. It has all drivers but no sound provided. Wow HP why? It doesn't even give info where to get it. :(

Ps2 offtopic. How to make a flash drive work under win98?. Now I keep rebooting to wxp to copy /try new drivers for w98.

post-358993-0-99910000-1343565068_thumb.

post-358993-0-96848600-1343565087_thumb.

post-358993-0-93971700-1343565100_thumb.

Edited by Trancelistic

Wow, thanks for a reply on a short notice. I'll check it out.

I'll keep you updated if it works

ps. If my post decent? Its been a while I've been on a forum lols.

EDIT. No good:(. Problem still not solved. What a shame the official site doesn't provide drivers. Not gonna buy a new I5/I7 laptop from hp/compaq because they lack support:/

Any 1 who can help me, i luve you<3

Edited by Trancelistic

On winxp, the sound automaticly installed, during setup, saying its a via ac97 WDM etc. So Therefor I've googled for the via ac97 for win98 and installed that on the win98 OS. It installed fine, but still no sound and a flag in device manger as said above.

Some specs:

Its a compaq evo n150 laptop, 700 hz celleron 64 mb solderd memory minus 8mb for the video ( wonder win xp ran with 56 mb of memory) . I believe with the appollo chipset and via southbrigde. I can look it up wich one with cpu-z if needed.

Ps: On the official HP/COMPAQ site, onder the page for driver for my Compaq EVO n150. It has all drivers but no sound provided. Wow HP why? It doesn't even give info where to get it. :(

HP is well known for not providing drivers to their hardware. I've run into similar situations where I could not find an HP created driver at all.

However there may be a way to determine EXACTLY which device is installed by name, version, etc by using a discovery program to see what the actual hardware on the motherboard is.

My favorite method for doing this is running Knoppix v5.1.1 "Live CD" and letting the O/S display the various video, audio, LAN, and drive adapters and chipsets. It will describe the actual adapter name and version for everything that it "sees" so the user can find out what is inside the board. Be quick to write down all the information, because depending upon the speed of the machine the screen may go blank quickly. If it's too fast just reboot, no worries.

Installing any AC97 drivers won't do, especially recent ones on old hardware.

loblo is correct. I learned the hard way that not all "valid" drivers will work on older hardware.

It might be necessary to completely remove all drivers and adapters in the Device Manager first then reboot with the correct version of files ready to install on CD or diskette. Of course, always back up your registry files and data before making any significant changes such as deleting devices arbitrarily.

The only way to know if you have the correct version is to know what is on the motherboard. This is where the discovery program (or Knoppix) will help.

HP is well known for not providing drivers to their hardware. I've run into similar situations where I could not find an HP created driver at all.

A few years ago, a HP rep told me they were going to remove all Windows 9x Drivers from their website. I spent the next few months downloading their entire website. It ended up being almost 500GB after I removed foreign language and non-9x files. Lexmark did the same thing that year as well.

Hey thank you all<3

I'm not even sure I've got win98se. I think its the normal windows 98. But where are thoose drivers lol. Even win95 or 3.11 had drivers haha:D

How to check if I'm running w98se or plain w98? Accessing the internet on w98 is diffelcult because I'm forced to use wireless ( usb dongle ) and I can't even get my usb flash drive to work on w98:(

So i keep rebooting to winxp to copy some new test drivers, then reboot back to w98. etc etc etc. Its a pain. lol

Again thanks to all, but I hope some 1 could help me.

Edit: Can i download a stand alone upgrade from w98 to SE, then a sp1,2, then sp3 stand alone file/install? Meaning I just download it on my main pc, and put it on my flash drive etc?, so i can install it.

Edited by Trancelistic

First of all, sorry for a double post but I tought it would be beter to show theese screenshots in a new post

So, is this w98 or w98se? How to tell, I tried to bring up as much info as possible on a 1024x786 desktop screen lol.

Thanks in advanced.

To reply to Loblo's post: On the screen in red ( the text, is of that install/driver that you;ve suggested. When trying to execute the install it simple says its not made for this OS.

Greetz all

post-358993-0-14674200-1343824899_thumb.

post-358993-0-80767100-1343824906_thumb.

Edited by Trancelistic

4.10.2222 - Windows 98 Second Edition (Win98SE)

How odd! That EXE file is specifically for Windows 98 Second Edition. Do you have any "unofficial" updates installed (eg 98SE2ME) that would make it "think" that it's not 98SE? It's an Update for the USB Bus, AFAICT.

@loblo - do you mean (e.g.) "A404"?

Here is apparently a v4.04 (dated 2008) that include all of the OS WDM Drivers -

ftp://ftp.tsu.ge/drivers/Audio/WDM_A404.exe

(18mb file)

BTW, the Driver you have is for a VERY specific model. The one I give is for many - I have an even older version on my current PC (A3.90)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a Via AC97 at the time on an AK72 motherboard and did not have problem with w98 drivers. I think I used those from the mobo's site then maybe even updated later to the Via's site. You can check these here:

http://www.aopen.nl/userdownload_List.aspx?RecNo=4018&Model=202

http://www.viaarena.com/displaydrivers.aspx?PageID=1&OSID=7&CatID=1500&SubCatID=104