Windows cannot read the <Product Key> setting from the unatten

Ok Max, getting my head around this throwing ei.cfg & pid.txt into the mix now has got me thinking.

I insert my valid key to the pid file & setup with my xml ans file, windows asks to confirm "W8pro 64" & then "partition" & off it goes! No pop up re "product key" Yay!!!!

Well then how to automate this from here??

Edit: Gotta say W8 appears to install abit quicker than previous versions!

You should not really be needing to do this but try

ei.cfg also in sources folder with the pid.txt. Something similar to below. You said Pro so Edit your other things like Channel and VL

ei.cfg tells it what version and the pid.txt supply the key later on at OOBE http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824952.aspx

[EditionID]
Professional
[Channel]
Retail
[VL]

Ok Max, I tried adding the ei.cfg info for Pro but no luck. With the xml in the Root & pid.txt & ei.cfg in Sources setup starts, asks me to select W8PROx64, (eg. only one available in image.) Then

asks to accept Eula, then partition setup starts & runs.

However totally silent there until desktop loads & complete! user account creates as xml. Generally the partition info & modify partition stuff is not?

While you're testing this I'd use the test install key instead of your own especially in VM

Professional = XKY4K-2NRWR-8F6P2-448RF-CRYQH – retail key Invalid now

Note: These keys are just for installing windows 8 -_-They not activate windows 8

:w00t: I used 1 of my technet keys and reinstalled about 30-40 times changing stuff and my key became invalid

Edited by maxXPsoft

• 2 weeks later...

capture your Panther using this and attach the setupact.log

http://www.msfn.org/...post__p__888486

Setupact.log attached.

Setup still not behaving how it should my answer file?

1.Still asks to confirm W8Prox64!! (Only one image in wim)!

2. Asks to accept Eula!!

3. Confirm partition info!!

All above info is included in xml!!

However following confirmation of the above 3 items unattended install works exactly how it should as per my answer file!

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE

didn't redo your image did you?

IBS Callback_Productkey_Validate_Unattend:Product Key found in pid.txt < I said remove this and ei.cfg from your sources and reburn in other post

And this no good

CallBack_Cleanup: Attempting to remove protection from archived directory [C:\Windows.old.000]

Need the <WillWipeDisk>true</WillWipeDisk>

In VM you may have to start over to wipe it completely

Because this is what happens'

Found unattend file at [C:\Windows\Panther\unattend.xml]

Reusing xml from previous attempts

Edited by maxXPsoft

Hi Max

If I remove the pid.txt from sources It gives the dreaded "cannot read product key"

I have done many reinstalls using new VM's

When I receive the above "cannot read product key" if I try to shift F10 to access either setuperr.log

or setupact.log gives access denied!

I do have "will wipe disk true" in the xml, same ans file I posted on page one of this thread.

I used your first xml and put my key in and it starts right away installing after I discard VirtualBox VM and start fresh.

The one I modified for you MAVERICKS CHOICEAutounattend.xml removing some things out of place works also here

Apparently your image is messed up?

should not have this C:\Windows.old

Did you use an upgrade key and then capture the disk for your image? It sure looks so.

Edited by maxXPsoft