Windows cannot read the <Product Key> setting from the unatten

Autounattend.xmlHi everyone,

I am new here and I am trying to install Windows 8 64bit Release preview with an unantented answer file made with the new windows system manager but I am receiving the following error with my xml

file Windows cannot read the <Product Key> setting from the unattended answer file

can someone please take a look at it for me I don't receive any warnings from the wism.

Thanks for your time.

Hi chlje,

Thanks for the quick reply even when I use your xml file it still fails at the same point I tried putting the file directly on the dvd and on a usb memory stick I am using the latest download iso from microsoft please help if you can.

Thanks,

Corey

you should replace all "x86" wording to "amd64" if you want x64 version unattended and use another RP key, the only one key offically provided sometimes do not work, attached is my file fyi, it works for me.

put the xml file under the Root directory and sources\

like d:\win8rp\AUTOUNATTEND.XML and d:\win8rp\sources\AUTOUNATTEND.XML

it did work for my iso file with only choose which disk to install OS

do you test it in VM8? pls remove floppy disk support in VM8 settings if yes.

btw, my file is for x86, you need open it with notepad and replace all "x86" to "amd64"

Edited by chlje

• 3 months later...

Generally run my test builds through Virtual Box, previously testing W8 ent edition with a modified W7 ans file & worked well.

Recently swapped over to Pro if I manually install without ans file & type the product key no probs.

If I specify in & use it in the ans file it gives the above "Windows cannot read the <Product Key> setting from the unattended answer file"

Read all over the net re the VM Ware floppy boot problem, which is not selected in my Virtual Box.

Anyone else experienced this or a resolution perhaps?

xml can be on root of dvd or better on a floppy or usb stick so you can make changes if error

portcorey1 this is wrong InputLocale in your xml change to <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>

remove the <UserLocale>EN-US</UserLocale> also from settings pass="windowsPE"

I am installing Pro here but using a Technet version dvd and key

VMware I remove the floppy and my AutoUnattend.xml is located on a usb jump drive and works. I just have to connect it real quick when setup starts but Setup delay for a short period to connect them as it say

Unattend: Setup is running in WinPE; will wait for removable storage devices to initialize before unattend search

Edited by maxXPsoft

xml can be on root of dvd or better on a floppy or usb stick so you can make changes if error

portcorey1 this is wrong InputLocale in your xml change to <InputLocale>0409:00000409</InputLocale>

remove the <UserLocale>EN-US</UserLocale> also from settings pass="windowsPE"

I am installing Pro here but using a Technet version dvd and key

VMware I remove the floppy and my AutoUnattend.xml is located on a usb jump drive and works. I just have to connect it real quick when setup starts but Setup delay for a short period to connect them as it say

Unattend: Setup is running in WinPE; will wait for removable storage devices to initialize before unattend search

Max that's not very Bloody helpful!!

I'm using Virtual Box, could you do me a favor & run your W8 Pro with Virtual Box & report back? Asking nicely :yes:

Max that's not very Bloody helpful!!

I'm using Virtual Box, could you do me a favor & run your W8 Pro with Virtual Box & report back? Asking nicely :yes:

Run's just fine with VirtualBox-4.2.4-81684-Win

I did have to add the Oracle_VM_VirtualBox_Extension_Pack-4.2.4-81684.vbox-extpack

for Usb 2.0 support, after that it picked up my usb and it is installing right now

post-9484-0-50266800-1352232512_thumb.pn

Ok updated to latest Virtual Box ran my same build & still the dreaded "cannot read product key" pops up!!

I omit the key info & install waits for the product key which I type in manually & installs good. So thinking it's not a key issue?

Does windows 8 look @ the "product key" xml info differently to previous versions perhaps?

See my xml attached with some info removed only.

Running the 64 bit version if that makes any difference?

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

Does windows 8 look @ the "product key" xml info differently to previous versions perhaps?

No sir, still the same. In fact most xml settings from 7 still apply to Win 8

Remove pass <settings pass="auditSystem"> you have no <settings pass="auditUser pass">

Several other default things you have in there and I'd remove them. If they default then that will be what they will do anyway

try this file

EDIT: If that don't work then capture your Panther using this and attach the setupact.log

Edited by maxXPsoft

Thanks Max for the xml, though it's still popping up!

set the panther.cmd on the root of a usb & the virtual machine appears to enable the usb key & attaches it.

When I shift F10 & check available drives using:

wmic logicaldisk get caption

that gives:

Caption X:

C: D:

Tried to execute the panther.cmd from each drive & cannot find path!

Make sure you set USB to 2.0. I don't have any 3.0 devices and had that problem before where it wasn't connecting. Also add the device like in my pic with the + sign

That requires adding the extension pack available same place for download

My usb usually is the C drive early on in the install. I cd there CD C: <enter and run the Panther.cmd

post-9484-0-92914300-1353028144_thumb.pn

I also had another problem today using an N version and with wrong key it gave me error that there was no images. I had to put the N ver key in my xml.

Are you using ei.cfg and pid.txt in sources?

Edited by maxXPsoft

Ok Max, getting my head around this throwing ei.cfg & pid.txt into the mix now has got me thinking.

I insert my valid key to the pid file & setup with my xml ans file, windows asks to confirm "W8pro 64" & then "partition" & off it goes! No pop up re "product key" Yay!!!!

Well then how to automate this from here??

Edit: Gotta say W8 appears to install abit quicker than previous versions!

Edited by MAVERICKS CHOICE