Windows XP Drivers

I have just this second rwad summet...From this thread

FullUnattended

Specifies a fully unattended GUI-mode Setup. If you do not specify a required Setup answer in the answer file, Setup generates an error.

During an attended Setup, improperly signed hardware drivers generate a warning dialog box. If UnattendMode = FullUnattended, then Setup does not install hardware drivers unless they are properly signed.

With my lates test i used

[unattended]

UnattendMode=ProvideDefault

With every other test I have used

[unattended]

UnattendMode=FullUnattended

Could either of these be causing a problem...

On the very last test i DID NOT add

[unattended]

DriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

NonDriverSigningPolicy=Ignore

When it came to updating my drivers manually and browsing for them i DID get the driver unsigned error pop up...

Any pointers on the correct WINNT.sif setting for installing drivers ?

Listen......

Sorry if I am going on a bit with this..... :angel

It will be probably more difficult then you think ;)

INF files should go to %systemroo%\INF, not to system32. You drivers have got a CAT file so they are probably digitally signed.

INF files should go to %systemroo%\INF, not to system32. You drivers have got a CAT file so they are probably digitally signed.

Ahhh. This is a good bit of info which I did not know.

So I should just ave my .inf copied there. Will look carefully how to do this.

Cheers.

Well i have just done another test.

I have this TXTSETUP entries,

[sourceDisksNames.x86]

1980 = %cdname%,%cdtagfilei%,,"\i386\NewDrvs\LAN"

[sourceDisksFiles.x86]; LAN Drivers

netrtle.cat = 100,,,,,,,1980,0,0

Netrtle.inf = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0

Netrtle.inf = 100,,,,,,,1980,0,0

Rtenic.sys = 100,,,,,,,1980,0,0

Rtenicxp.sys = 100,,,,,,,1980,0,0

Rtnicprop32.dll = 100,,,,,,,1980,0,0

Rtnuninst32.dll = 100,,,,,,,1980,0,0

I was wondering about "%systemroo%\INF" and noticed in the TXTSETUP,

[WinntDirectories]

1 = "\"

2 = system32

3 = system32\config

4 = system32\drivers

5 = system

7 = system32\ras

9 = system32\spool

10 = system32\spool\drivers

11 = system32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3

12 = system32\spool\prtprocs

13 = system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86

14 = system32\wins

15 = system32\dhcp

16 = repair

17 = system32\drivers\etc

18 = system32\spool\drivers\w32x86

19 = system32\drivers\disdn

20 = inf

21 = Help

20 = inf

Now I thought this must have been the place for the .inf file to go. Thats where I got

Netrtle.inf = 100,,,,,,,20,0,0

However after the drivers did NOT install automaticly I went tracking down C:\Windows\INF ( Hidden folder ) and could NOT find my file in there. It was in "System32 folder"

Now this has stumped me a bit...........

JUST THIS SECOND REALISED !!!!!!!!!!

It copied the file into System32 because of the frst number "2"........... "2 = System32"

"20 = inf"

It took no notice of the zero in 20 = inf....

Right..In that case what code do I have to write to copy the files into inf folder.......

Well after a few failed attemts I am no further to solving this.

What ever i put in the TXTSETUP my .inf file always ends up in Sytem32,

After an install I look in Windows\inf and I selected Battey.inf. on the install cd this file lives in I386 and its TXTSETUP entry is battery.inf 100,,,,,,,20,0,0 and fter the install completes thats where it lives.

When I write the same for my file it does not work neither does 1980,,,,,,,20,0,0

I have my source folder set as 1980.

Getting realy stumped.

Hi...

Update...

Well been messing for the last couple of days and still coming up short. Buttttttt. Well the last install I have had just done got me thinking. I Told the drivers to update. I had to manually browse to find my .inf file.....I stopped...

I manually copies the .inf into Windows\INF. Then I went back to update the drivers,this time I had to browse to find the containing folder but I did notice it was trying to find them in System32. I stopped..

I manually copied the rest of the files into Sytem32. I then went back to update the drivers. I did not have to browse for any files,the PC found them all by it's self. This tells me thats where they should live. I now think the .inf file should be copied from the cd and installed into Windows\inf and the rest of the files should be copied into System32.

I should forget all about my "New Drivers" destination folder. It is clearly not working and concentrate on installing all my files to where i just spoke about.

One way of installing the .inf file could be $OEM$\$$\INF.

Well I already install to Sytem32 my OEMINFO.ini and OEMLOGO.bmp via $OEM$\$$\System32 so would it be just has easy to sling my driver files,uncompressed into the same folder....

Only one way to test this out i suppose......

Gunna do it right now. Will report back.

That was interesting.

It sort of worked. The PC picked up my .inf and started to install the drivers but I stll had to manually browse for them..

obviously it was never going to be so easy but a fun little experiment none the less.

Been reading all sorts of posts here there and every where,with some conflicting ideas too.

I am thinking i am nearly there. I am playing all the right notes but not in the right order....Yet ! ( Little reference to Morcambe and Wise there. ) :whistle:

Just a thought...

You might need to change the path of [sourceDisksNames] within the .inf so that it knows where to find the files...

Just take a look what is the current string. Here is one site for a general description of SourceDisksNames.

To be frank, I don't really know much how to go about it but it is good you are trying to see what works. Keep us posted. :thumbup

An idea comes to my mind. How about use 3rd party program to save, then restore later.

I come to know of this program from Seven forum because someone mention it there. DriverBackup! 2.1

It requires .Net 2 framework to run

Support commandline restore operation. (maybe this is what you want)

Personally, I have not tested it so can't say if it works as stated.

Edited by Geej

Just a thought...

You might need to change the path of [sourceDisksNames] within the .inf so that it knows where to find the files...

Just take a look what is the current string. Here is one site for a general description of SourceDisksNames.

To be frank, I don't really know much how to go about it but it is good you are trying to see what works. Keep us posted. :thumbup

Thanks for the link there. Not seen that one before,logged it. my list of sites is getting really long now. In there somwhere is the answer...

Gunna definatly have a look inside my .inf file. this is summet new so hopefully helpful..

Cheers...

yesssssssss... Summet interesting in my .inf file. I have not looked at it till now.

It has this

[sourceDisksFiles]

Rtenic.sys = 1

Rtenicxp.sys = 1

Rtenic64.sys = 1

RTNicProp32.dll = 1

RTNicProp64.dll = 1

RTNUninst32.dll = 1

RTNUninst64.dll = 1

So if i am thinking right if i chanege the values and make them point to my particular folder when the PC picks up the .inf inside of Windows\INF then i should not have to browse.....

Sounds very interesting.....Need to read more i think regarding this....

My next test was going to be a bit simpler and something I have not yet tried.

Making my new folders. having the driver files copied there at install. Not worry about the .inf being in Windows\INF but adding to WINNT.sif

OemPnpDriversPath="Windows\NuDrvrs|Lan" ( not sure if the inverted commas are needed )

This is like a mixture of the simple $OEM$\$1\Drivers and the more complicated TXTSETUP editing and new folder srtucture...if that makes sence.....It sort of does in my head but to bee honest there is that much whirling round in there i could be mixing myself right up...

mmmmmmmmmmmm tnx thinks...... :blink:

I'm looking at it right now. Integrating drivers in a way that they will be automatically detected and installed is more complicated ;) Just give me some time. I hope I'll be able to accomplish it today.

I'm looking at it right now. Integrating drivers in a way that they will be automatically detected and installed is more complicated ;) Just give me some time. I hope I'll be able to accomplish it today.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...Sounds great. :thumbup

Time hey.....take all the time you need. :rolleyes:

Foor me this has become one of those problems which does not really need getting over. What i mean is nLite does a pretty good job,but summet about it bugs me. Then installing the drivers after an install is no big deal really either..Butttttttttttttttttt,welllllllllllllll..

It's got to the stage where I NEED to do it or i wont be happy with my self,if you know what I mean and to get extra help,well thats fantastic....

Just a thought...

been thinking a lot about what you put in your post. I have spent all this time trawling the net looking for info. Found a lot of stuff but I dont really undersatnd it.....

What i am just about to do now is install a fresh XP OS onto my test drive but one I added the drivers to using nLite. What i am hoping to find is where all the files are located. Is the driver.inf actually in Windows\INF and if so as nLite altered the driver.inf file at all

What i will do is copy all the files that nLite installed and compare them using "Beyhond Compare 3" This will show all,any differences in the files after install.

But here is what is in my driver.inf file

[sourceDisksNames]

1=%DISKNAME%,,,

[sourceDisksFiles]

Rtenic.sys = 1

Rtenicxp.sys = 1

Rtenic64.sys = 1

RTNicProp32.dll = 1

RTNicProp64.dll = 1

RTNUninst32.dll = 1

RTNUninst64.dll = 1

At first I was confusing my self thinking the "= 1" was a reference to the TXTSETUP [WinntDirectories] 1 = "\" ( what ever "\" means )

But is is obvious to me now.....So it gets me to thinking that my driver.inf file

[sourceDisksNames]

1=%SystemRoot%\NuDrvs\LAN ----- This is my folder which is created at install and all the driver files are copied to......

This then should point the .inf file right to all the other driver files enabling them to be installed.......I have to test this. To me it does sound like it could be the missing piece in my puzzle...

That is,if I have %SystemRoot%\NuDrvs\LAN correct being my foler which is in Windows\NuDrvs|LAN

Time will only tell..

Well not learnt much after install XP with intergrated LAN drivers using nLite.

It makes a folder structure similar to mine and does NOT install the driver.inf file into Windows|INF.

All I found out is it made a file called

INFCACHE.1
and I have no idea what this does.

Off to read up on this