Add shortcut to quick launch or desktop

Hi everyone i have some problems with shortcuts creations for unattended xp.

Maybe someone knows how to add working shotcuts for all users using registry for quick lauch or for desktop programs ?

I know this can be so easy but i do not know how to do this.

Cuz i can't find how to do that anywhere.

I know where to add them but they just do not work so simple.

in the simple way i add shotcuts for programs but they do not work.

and your help would be so great B)

Edited by mrblackscripts

I know this can be so easy but i do not know how to do this.

Cuz i can't find how to do that anywhere.

I know where to add them but they just do not work so simple.

in the simple way i add shotcuts for programs but they do not work.

You said your shortcut is not working.

Perhaps you can explain how you do it so we can have a better idea your approach.

if possible provide current code/script for your shortcut

I also presume you are using nlite for your unattended stuff.

Well it is actually not to hard to do this like i do ;)

But this method does not work for unattended xp only as you use it normaly in xp.

here is how i do that.

Just copy any program and click right menu and select create shortcut.

Maybe it sounds stupid and anyone can do this simply but it's true this is all i know how it works simple in windows but not in unattended version.

So how can it be done in other way ?

I have tried and like this method of cource %systemdrive%\program files\my program.exe and add this to program shortcut.

but nothing happens.

and this method does not work too c:\program files\my program.exe

I hav just asked for people how to create silent installtion method but none of them worked correctly in only one way i have descovered how it can be done so easily ;)

what i have done it is so amaizing way.

I just added and created, compresed program using winrar and just put the winrar sfx setup in cmdlines.txt like registry tweaks and when what i saw i couldn't believed that i have done this work correctly in simplest way as posibble as i know now ;)

I hope someone it will like it to know what i have just done.

I know that this is not a news but for new guys it will be nice to know how it works in simplest way.

It installs any programs you want silently and create it in start menu program but do not add program shortcut to desktop or to quick launch.

That's why i need to know how it can be done from registry or in the another way and show it on desktop or add it to quik launch.

I actually have found 2 methods one in cmdlines.txt add and other method to extract program with universal extractor and add program to program files location and create a shortcut but none of 2 methods do not work for shortcuts in unattended xp.

Edited by mrblackscripts

Maybe it's a good idea but the problem is that i can't find how to use it.

tjhere are not explanations how to use it.

Can you show how ?

I found read me document but i'm confused with it :blink:

Edited by mrblackscripts

What are you talking about ?

So can you help or how i do not understand you.

There is not tut out there internet how to use it so how can i create shortcuts with it if i see this program first time and i do not know how it works no example anything :realmad:

This is a sample usage that create Windows Movie Maker and calculator on current user's desktop and quick launch using shortcut.exe.

First you create a text file with .cmd extension (say Myshortcut.cmd) into the same folder as shortcut.exe

Copy and paste the code into Myshortcut.cmd. Then test run it. You can compare it's shortcut properties against the original shortcut (from the Start Menu)

@echo off
Title Creating custom shortcut
::cwnd.exe /hide @||:: cwnd.exe is an external optional console tool to hide the console box while this script is running.
::http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5017

shortcut.exe /F:"%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Windows Movie Maker.lnk" /A:C /T:"%programfiles%\Movie Maker\moviemk.exe" /R:3 /w:%%HOMEDRIVE%%%%HOMEPATH%% /D:"Capture and edit digital media on your computer and then share your saved movies by e-mail, the Internet, recordable CD, or on a DV video tape."
shortcut.exe /F:"%userprofile%\desktop\Windows Movie Maker.lnk" /A:C /T:"%programfiles%\Movie Maker\moviemk.exe" /R:3

shortcut.exe /F:"%AppData%\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch\Calculator.lnk" /A:C /T:"%systemroot%\system32\calc.exe" /R:1 /D:"Performs basic arithmetic tasks with an on-screen calculator."
shortcut.exe /F:"%userprofile%\desktop\Calculator.lnk" /A:C /T:"%systemroot%\system32\calc.exe" /R:1

I hope you can figure out the syntax for your custom shortcut base on this sample.

As to how you are going to integrate this shortcut stuff into your unattended windows, I do not know what tool you use for unattended stuff as you did not provide any information, hence I'm not able to suggest/help over this part.

Ok i have tried and tested your method the good news it creates the shortcuts on desktop and in the quick launch ;)

But the bad news the shortcuts can't find their locations.

And yeah i found how to do this without any program like console to hide.

And it works now :D

How did i do that ? Simple.

Here is how it's done.

I copied and created shortcut with target: "c:\program files\folder name\program.exe"

in the start in: i created "c:\program files\folder name"

on desktop i created shortcut.ink with the same name as my program and put the real program files location.

Extracted program and put it $oem$\$progs folder.

if you wanna that shortcut to be added from setup you need put setup in the same $oem$\folder as where is cmdlines.txt

In cmdlines.txt i put "myprogram.exe" in silent mode (need only compress setup with winrar do not need extract them.)

And when it finished installing xp i saw shotcut on desktop and it works ;)

I have installed 10 programs and their all shortcus works.

Simple and works great.

And i almost forgot to say that for setup do not need create shortcuts it install during windows installation this is only if do not mess everything with registry install programs. for extracted files from setup need to read how it's done.

Now i'm happy with this results and i wanna to thank you for your help guys.

Edited by mrblackscripts

Try Shortcut v1.11 (Shortcut.exe) [it's at the end of page]

It's a console tool

Shortcut 1.11 (from Optimum X) does not often create valid shortcuts (though the defects are often repaired by Windows), and I would recommend against using the tool.

The command line utility XXMKLINK works well and creates valid shortcuts correctly (I have tested and use XXMKLINK). XXMKLINK is available at: http://www.xxcopy.com/xxcopy38.htm

MakeLink might also function (I have not tested it). MakeLink is described at: