Broadcom NIC driver messes up 98SE shutdown

aurgathor

I'm trying to install 98SE onto a machine that has an on-board Broadcom gigabit NIC. After installing the the NIC driver, shutdown/restart/exit to DOS cease to function, and the machine will just hang there. I already tried v10.24 and v9.52, but as far as I can see they behave identically.

Any idea on what's happening, and how can I fix it? Adding another NIC and disabling the current one is not a viable option. MS used to have a good 98SE troubleshooter for shutdown issues, but that's no longer available.

TIA

What 98SE updates, if any, do you have installed?

Maybe unrelated to your specific problem, but you might have a look at this update:

(which is no doubt included in the Unofficial Service Pack if you want to go that route ;) )

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=239887

http://download.microsoft.com/download/d/d/8/dd8e4f2d-3b66-41d7-8a4a-cefefd8deb2c/4756US8.EXE

The PC is a Dell Precision 490. During install 98SE bluescreens several times (always on the same places) because it doesn't like the HD controllers, but eventually it installs fine -- 98SE, including shutdown, restart, and restart in MS-DOS mode works fine. No extra driver or update is installed at this point -- it's plain 98SE as it comes from the CD. Then I install the Broadcom driver, and that wreaks havoc with shutdown. I tried installing SP3, but it didn't make any difference. I also went through the built in troubleshooter to no avail. I'll try the shutdown supplement later today.

In any case, since I did only one thing, somehow it must be related to the NIC driver, or network functionality.

Yeah, I know that. But a generic driver seem to work OK in other respects. Also, according to bootlog.txt, the shutdown process *is* complete with the Kernel terminated, but something is obviously still missing.