Create a shortcut with credentials?

Tripredacus

I am designing a new application that requires something to be run after a reboot but doesn't exist on the computer. To save against the program being left behind, I wanted to create a shortcut to execute the program on a network share. I have some other options available to me, but wanted to know if such a shortcut is possible.

Shortcut sits on the Desktop, points to a program on the file server using a UNC path. This part I can do. The problem is that when the shortcut is executed, Windows prompts for credentials to log into the share. Is it possible for me to create a shortcut that has this information in it already, so that the login is handled automatically?

My other option (if this isn't possible) would be to build a .cmd file to sit on the desktop, which would map a drive to execute the file instead.

Or set the share permission to allow anyone (thus weakening a lot the security of the server hosting the share if the client and the server aren't member of an AD domain).

But you might want to try this way but i find it worse.

I will try out the second option in the link. The first option is NOT an option at all. The problem is that the client is not on the domain, but the share is on the DC.

I already have an account to use to log into the share and it isn't an admin account in production. It is an admin account on the dev servers but that is just to make things easier for me. :whistle:

I'm not particularly concerned with the credentials being in the shortcut, since the EXE on the share is supposed to delete it anyways.