Two-way network solution requested

I have two systems, both 64-bit capable, networked via my router which is connected to the cable modem for online access. I am the Administrator, the only user of both systems, and I'm really tired of getting "Access Denied" or "You don't have permission" messages when trying to access one system from the other.

Prime system: XP Pro w/SP3, XP Pro x64 w/SP2, Win7 Ultimate w/SP1 32&64 bit.

Secondary system: XP Pro w/SP3, XP Pro x64 w/SP2, Win7 Pro w/SP1 x64, and Win8 Consumer Preview x64.

I would like to "Share" things so that I can easily access any of the files/folders on the prime system from any of the operating systems on the secondary system and vice versa.

For example, if Prime is running Win7 Ultimate x64 and Secondary is running any one of the four operating systems listed I open Explorer > Network > (Secondary) Name > and all folders selected for "Sharing" (XP, 7, or 8) are listed. The same would also be functional in the reverse direction, from Secondary I would readily find the "Shared" folders on Prime.

This functionality must be possible when I'm running any of the Prime systems and any of the Secondary systems - no denied or permissions error messages in either direction.

If there is a set of instructions available somewhere a link or web address would be appreciated.

So both of those boxes multi-boot all of the listed OS's? Are you using (ie, do you prefer) simple sharing or advanced sharing? Are you comfortable with the idea of disabling all security within your LAN?

Do you have this setup?

PC-A (doesn't matter which OS, requirement is the same)

- User-A + User-B both with Pswd

- Signed on as User-A

PC-B (doesn't matter which OS, requirement is the same)

- User-A + User-B both with Pswd

- Signed on as User-B

Both PC-A/PC-B

- File and Printer Sharing Enabled

- For the Win7 - check your Sharing settings

* (Home/Work Groups and Public - Win7 needs HomeGroup if not member of Domain)

- Firewall has to allow it (check the Firewalls for those options -TCP/UDP)

Simple File Sharing may be a factor depending on your needs (google it for each OS) - for XP will give you some insight.

The above is a "Generic" description. I just de-Trojan'ed a Win7 x64 and had 2-way access between my Server (2k3, basically the same as XP) and the Win7 just fine.

Edited by tain
fixed the broken link

Let me clarify for tain and submix8c (above)

Both systems multi-boot the operating systems as listed.

I am the ONLY user of both - there is NO user B - I am the Administrator on BOTH.

There is NO Win7 Homegroup in either system - all of the operating systems are networked to be a part of a common workgroup and that has been working just fine.

This may be extreme but here is what I'm getting at:

Multiple drives and/or multiple partitions containing the operating systems as listed. I boot into each OS and "Share" the root of each drive/partition in turn. This is done on both systems.

Then, I should be able to easily access any drive/partition on either system form whichever system I am in; for example I boot both to XP Pro, open Explorer - I should readily 'see' the shared drives/partitons on computer #1 from #2 and vice versa.

Same situation and result in XP Pro x64, Win7, or Win8 from either of the systems; and, in doing this, I am not Denied Access or told I don't have permisiion to read/access anything on #1 from #2 or #2 from #1.

Hope all this is clear.

You cannot be signed on to both PC's with the same User-ID at the same time. Does not work - you are attemptinmg to sign onto an account remotely that is ALREADY SIGNED ON. A Password MUST exist or is does not work - REQUIRED.

Question, how did you set up the Win7/8 Sharing? "Workgroup"?

"Simple File Sharing" DOES affect any other folder than "All Users" "Shared Folder" (aka "Public" in Win7) as far as ANY OTHER FOLDER (read the link)! In addition "Everyone" doesn't cut it as far as a "Share" on any other Folder unless you want to live dangerously - You SHOULD specify a given group OTHER than "Everyone" (it's up to you - or just use "Administrators") for "All Accesses". I believe that the "All Users Shared Folder" aka "Public Folders" (given by default when Sharing is enabled) has "All Accesses" for the purpose of Standard Sharing.

I clearly understood you. Again, I just went through this on a Win7<->Srv2k3 - It DOES work that way!!!

edit - read my post (#2) here for more info/links. Also read through this thread (about Win7+Win98) for some more.

Edited by submix8c

Understand the issue about being signed on two systems with same User-ID; that is a problem as I am not willing to go through the process of creating a separate identity just to link the two systems. To me, a waste of time - it would be easier just to copy the files/folders/info I want to copy/move from one to the other to a flash drive and accomplish things that way.

Win7/8 were setup the same way as XP - no Homegroup, just put them in the workgroup as I had been using for XP. Besides, Homegroup is not compatible with XP so using it is out of the question.

Reviewed the comments in your links - guess I'm not the only one wanting to network two or more ystems the way I had mentioned.

Thanks for the info - this posting can be closed.