Win8 classic start menu

chlje

That file contains: WinStart.exe

Size is 314,280 bytes because it is UPX packed.

Actual size is 518,296 bytes unpacked.

Out of 62 online virus scanners (here and here) using the unpacked file ...

60 report clean

2 report problems

- ByteHero :: Trojan-Downloader.win32.Small.gen.105

- ClamAV :: PUA.Win32.Packer.PrivateExeProte-15

(probably two of the most obscure scanners)

Nonetheless, I doubt anyone will be downloading and executing a file called WinStart.exe! If you were serious and on-the-level you would be linking to an in-depth explanation of the file, why it was patched, what it will accomplish (and why it is packed).

Just IMHO.

to #2 & #3, it is not my design and just share, i trust it, not first time UPX version is often took as virus, whether use or not it is up to you :)

Please read again, I said the unpacked file was scanned, not the UPX'd original. I know this because I sent it to both sites.

Why still no links or detailed explanation?

File Properties ...

Description: Win8开始菜单

Copyright: Copyright 2012

Company: 青岛软媒网络科技有限公司

File Version: 1.0.0.6

Internal Name: WinStart

Language: Chinese (PRC)

Original File name: WinStart.exe

Product Name: WinStart

Product Version: 1.0.0.6

I can't get to the company's website (Ruanmei) but their certificate is valid.

I can access the page, but I can't find the software :rolleyes:

Yes, it supports 3 languages: English, simple Chinese and traditional Chinese, not German or so. It can't build any other language, there is no interface has been built-in.

Company's name translated with Google: Qingdao soft media network Technology Co., Ltd.

• 3 weeks later...

I can't get to the company's website (Ruanmei) but their certificate is valid.

I can access the page, but I can't find the software :rolleyes:

Yes, it supports 3 languages: English, simple Chinese and traditional Chinese, not German or so. It can't build any other language, there is no interface has been built-in.

Company's name translated with Google: Qingdao soft media network Technology Co., Ltd.

http://www.win8china.com/windows8master/

this soft :windows8master

win8优化大师

I have not touched Windows 8, nor do I desire to. But, I have followed the conversation here out of curiosity and to be able to forewarn friends about what is coming.

It appears that they just have to keep twisting the knife. Found the following on slashdot.org and thought I would share it, in case it hadn't been seen.

colinneagle writes with this excerpt from Network World: "The final build of Windows 8 has already leaked to torrent sites, which is giving the propellerheads a chance to dig through the code. One revelation will probably not sit well with enterprise customers: you can't bypass the don't-call-it-Metro UI. Normally, you have to boot Windows 8 and when the tiled desktop UI (formerly known as Metro) came up, you had to click on one of the boxes to launch Explorer. Prior builds of Windows 8 allowed the user to create a shortcut so you bypass Metro and go straight to the Explorer desktop. Rafael Rivera, co-author of the forthcoming Windows 8 Secrets, confirmed to Mary Jo Foley at ZDNet that Microsoft does indeed block the boot bypass routine from prior builds. He also believes that Microsoft has blocked the ability for administrators to use Group Policy to allow users to bypass the tiled startup screen. There had been hope that Microsoft would at least relent and let corporate users have a bypass, if only for compatibility's sake."

I guess Redmond knows what is best for all of us. :wacko:

• 1 month later...