Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Beta 6 is here - attached to first post

- Fix: shell could crash if broken shortcuts were on desktop

- AutoPlay now works (no toast)

- Win-P now works

- Other minor improvements

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

So impressive, especially so for 'strange hacker who never finishes his work'! When you're satisfied you've gone as far as you can with your wrapper, you might want to consider putting the whole shebang in an installer that asks for the User's Windows 7 or Server 2008R2 DVD, and does the rest for them, and asking for some remuneration or at least donations for your effort!

:)

Unfortunately I just un-installed Windows 8 and forgot to check the following with Tihiy's Windows 7 shell for Windows 8, and if anyone would like to follow up I'd be very interested in what you discover...

Windows 8 now requires the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service running as it hosts the OpenGL compositer which is now required for the Windows 8 Explorer shell to run. This was not the previously the case in Windows 7 and you'd just get the 'Native Unskinned' UI, could save considerable resource by disabling the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" and "Themes" Services, avoid ssues with some applications and gamas that use OpenGL and/or DirectX, and also see substantial performance improvements with some applications and games...

I'm wondering if the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service can now be stopped with Tihiy's shell installed/enabled, and if that is the case, if the Metro/Modern boot recover UI requires this Service in order to be accessed?

:huh:

Edited by hoak

I'm wondering if the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service can now be stopped with Tihiy's shell installed/enabled, and if that is the case, if the Metro/Modern boot recover UI requires this Service in order to be accessed?
Yep, it can be stopped (disabled). Logon ui would be black and boot gui - likely. Edited by Tihiy

Yep, it can be stopped (disabled). Logon ui would be black and boot gui - likely.

Thank you Tihiy! This will likely make you're project essential for a lot of Developers that that use 3D render software, as well as Gamers that are already seeing issues with the default inability to stop the "Desktop Window Manager Session Manager" Service in Windows 8.

Sooner or later (probably later) I'll get a look at how having this Windows Service disabled actually effects configuring and using the Windows 8 restore and recovery options.

In the mean time this is probably one thing for people that may jump on board with Tihiy's 7 Explorer Shell just to get this Service out of their way to be aware of; i.e. if you hose something up with the Service disabled you may need to find a way to get it going again to use Window 8 recovery options, or recover your system.

Awesome project! Impressive progress!

:thumbup

Edited by hoak

do you know why the "show desktop" button is now larger? In former patches it has the same size like in Windows 7.
It is found that win8 thinks you have touch input and thus gives you touch-optimized button. Are you sure previous patches had smaller button? Can anyone confirm? Test with previous version. Edited by Tihiy

Tihiy,

Thanks.

It makes a huge difference to my pe build.

It might look like there haven't been many downloads - but your patchex is being used widely all over the world.

Youe efforts are appreciated. :thumbup

I'm using beta 6 on RP now. Show desktop button looks small as usual. I didn't notice how it looked like with beta 5 or older version, but I believe it always looks small.

BTW, Happy Birthday Tihiy! Wishing you good health and happiness in life!