Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Yes! Yes! thank you :)

I thought about that registry thing myself and found few of the following keys you've used to make reg file, but seriously, your work is like heaven. Almost full functionality is brought back

Found this small bug, nothing special but more like a formal one:

startmenubug1.png

Edited by kala

That's uhh, not my bug. Copy IE shortcut to desktop and you will notice same thing in context menu, in explorer8 too. I guess some value is missing from win8 registry... :whistle:

That's uhh, not my bug. Copy IE shortcut to desktop and you will notice same thing in context menu, in explorer8 too. I guess some value is missing from win8 registry... :whistle:

Microsoft....

By the way, is it only me or does the RTM lack Group Policy (using "Core" edition)?

By the way, is it only me or does the RTM lack Group Policy (using "Core" edition)?

I haven't gotten a chance to build a Core image yet, but from what I understand it is similar to previous Home Premium SKU. So it probably has some of the same limitations.

Thanks for this beta 4. It's surely better than the previous one. I'm glad to have back big icons on the start menu!

Btw, I don't know how W8 RTM looks like. Now I only choose to use bright themes because it's hard to see the text on the title bars with dark themes. If I have the text bold then it's easier to read but it looks so ugly!

PS. Hmm... whenever I see people talking about W8 RTM I just want to download and install it immediately!

Thanks for this beta 4. It's surely better than the previous one. I'm glad to have back big icons on the start menu!

Btw, I don't know how W8 RTM looks like. Now I only choose to use bright themes because it's hard to see the text on the title bars with dark themes. If I have the text bold then it's easier to read but it looks so ugly!

PS. Hmm... whenever I see people talking about W8 RTM I just want to download and install it immediately!

What are you still waiting for? W8 RTM looks... bright enogh I think

Excellent news, Everyone!

Beta 5 is here - attached to first post - major improvements

- Network systray icon works (Metro UI)

- Programs MFU list: improved performance

- Programs MFU list: now collects shortcuts from desktop too

- Fix: Alt-Tab window didn't show application icons

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

I'll probably slow down, i spend whole week digging this. With network icon working, this is finally usable with Wi-Fi connections.

What are you still waiting for? W8 RTM looks... bright enough I think

OK, I'll manage to get and install W8 RTM to see how it looks myself. I just feel scared when I think of having to install a lot of stuff again after I have the new Windows.

I've just got beta 4 and then there is beta 5! Why not posting it a day sooner? Or better if post it a few days later?! Guess I should say thanks anyway.

Edit: Already replaced beta 4 with beta 5. Works fine as usual. Thank you.

Edited by Aloha

Tihiy , great news. love beta5 and discovered how you could possibly fix one bug.

Go to control panel. user accounts and safety, user accounts, manage another account you notice add new user doesn't work but try, family safety, click some administrator user, it says you cant add family safety to it , do you want to add new user, click yes and you can add new user :)

Edited by kala

Hy Everybody!

My problem is that my patched Windows 7 explorer.exe don't start under Windows 8. When it tries to start after logon, just a colorized screen appears and the pointer. I can run everything with the task manager, and restoring the original shell with patchex7 is working. I think the problem is with my languange I using. I'm using Hungarian version of Windows 7 and 8, so I've used the Hungarian explorer.exe, and the explorer.exe.mui from the hu-HU folder. This can be the problem, or something that I've not tried yet?

My problem is that my patched Windows 7 explorer.exe don't start under Windows 8. When it tries to start after logon, just a colorized screen appears and the pointer. I can run everything with the task manager, and restoring the original shell with patchex7 is working. I think the problem is with my languange I using. I'm using Hungarian version of Windows 7 and 8, so I've used the Hungarian explorer.exe, and the explorer.exe.mui from the hu-HU folder. This can be the problem, or something that I've not tried yet?
If you have Hungarian versions of both Win7 and Win8 and placed explorer.exe.mui to "hu-HU" subfolder you should be fine. If not, you must use "en-US" explorer.exe.mui.

You can download MUI for win7 from Microsoft, any language:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-mui-language-packs-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Open downloaded exe with WinRAR and find explorer.exe.mui inside.

Edited by Tihiy