Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

under explorer 7, After I double click C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts and select notepad to open, it automatically make the C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc window active, instead of it should make the notepad window active.

no problem in explorer 8.

I also tested it same thing happened in a clean installation of Windows 8 Core RTM x86 in VMware.

here is Windows 8 Core RTM x86.

PLEASE READ

Several UI bits missing:

- "You have new program to handle this stuff" toasts won't show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.

You know, after spending re reading this post by nth time, I've come to notice that I do have the "handle this stuff" toast. It usually happens whenever I install a new browser.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been testing with Windows themes and when I applied High Contrast theme, then I couldn't refresh the customization window any more and I couldn't load more themes. Finally I've solved changing to the explorer of windows 8. Can you fix it in next version? thanks! this application is really great

• 2 weeks later...

Tihiy, this project has been written about in the following article ...

Disable the new Windows 8 interface for good with Ex7ForW8 ( BetaNews 2012-12-11 )

All in all a favorable article. The comments of course turn a bit feisty when fanboys show up to cause trouble because you are ruining their Apple-esque dreams. :lol:

Tihiy, this project has been written about in the following article ...

Disable the new Windows 8 interface for good with Ex7ForW8 ( BetaNews 2012-12-11 )

The commenter "pforbes" said the following:

I've used it for a short time and I've just uninstalled it after detecting that shortcuts don't work any more. I like this program but won't go on using it until this bug is fixed.

Does anybody know what he's talking about?

--JorgeA

• 4 weeks later...

PLEASE READ

THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS-IS" AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING

LIMITATIONS:

- Metro programs won't run. Metro UI screens won't show as it's not loaded, cannot and won't be.

- You may get more UAC prompts since explorer.exe is not in win8 UAC-approved whitelist.

- You can't add new user. Run netplwiz.exe for that.

- No default language input indicator. Enable language bar via Control Panel->Language->Advanced Settings->Use desktop language bar.

- No multi-monitor taskbars. Maybe more multimon issues.

Several UI bits missing:

- "You have new program to handle this stuff" toasts won't show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.

what about the "Copy, Move, and Delete" file feature? does it still work if we run 7explorer in Windows 8? I think Windows 8 has much better performance in copying, moving, and deleting file than Windows 7.....

what about the "Copy, Move, and Delete" file feature? does it still work if we run 7explorer in Windows 8? I think Windows 8 has much better performance in copying, moving, and deleting file than Windows 7.....

It still works.

• 3 weeks later...

I love this!! :D But I have a few problems...

1. I use this with Classic Shell and Classic Shell will take longer to start up under the Windows 7 explorer. Not a big issue.

2. However, occasionall the Windows 8 Start Screen will pop up reverting it back to the Windows 8 shell and its Metroness. Is there a way to prevent this or do I just have to re-enable the Windows 7 shell again?

• 2 weeks later...

If only i could use some metro apps with this... :(

still no updates? any news?

Guys. This program has been dropped.

Windows 7 Explorer For Windows 8 has been transformed into Startisback

http://www.startisback.com

Unfortunately you need to pay for it.

I got my license for it on Black Friday @ 1 U.S.

This allows you to run metro apps, and much more. It's fast, fluid, and Windows 8 works 100% with it.