Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

I think I can't shutdown Windows Server 2012 workstation after I applied this update:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/10/09/updating-windows-8-for-general-availability.aspx

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2756872

I'have Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8 installed before install this updated

is a problem with your program?

Edit: I re enable the original explorer.exe and I can't shutdown the computer, when I tried it windows only close the current user session

the only I did today is install debian in a partition and install this update in windows. what could be?

I can only shutdown the computer running this: "shutdown -s -t 01"

Edited by sonyu

as I said, I had the GRUB of debian installed, and thinking about the "Fast Startup" Windows 8/S2012 .. I tried to reinstall the boot manager of Windows 8/S2012. and now my pc shutdown correctly .. I don't understand why :}:no::huh::unsure:

Edited by sonyu

• 2 weeks later...

I would like if you implemented a service or some kind to register when explorer crashes, or has to be crashed by installation tools that request it.

Simply because your solution is not added back to the taskbar when explorer crashed.

ok guys first off good work in working on apps that restore win7 behaviour.

However my question to the guys who like me clearly hate windows 8 UI.

Are you using it as your main OS simply because its newer? I hate windows 8 and as a result I only toy with it in a VM, its not on any physical machines. Windows 7 isnt EOL and there is no real reason to stop using it, its only 2-3 years old, compatible with modern hardware features such as TRIM.

@Tihiy:

Pal, I really appreciate all the work you've done. Been using it since beta 0 and I couldn't be happier. I see this solution and Startisback better than Start8's.

I'll try donating some money tomorrow, as long as I can get around some bucks. :P

ok guys first off good work in working on apps that restore win7 behaviour.

However my question to the guys who like me clearly hate windows 8 UI.

Are you using it as your main OS simply because its newer? I hate windows 8 and as a result I only toy with it in a VM, its not on any physical machines. Windows 7 isnt EOL and there is no real reason to stop using it, its only 2-3 years old, compatible with modern hardware features such as TRIM.

There are several reasons to this statement.

First of all, I never owned a legit copy of Windows 7, due to its high price. I managed to do the "activation period trick" thing for 120 days (Wait for activation period expired and then rearmed 3 times) and then I would format the computer for maintenance and resetting the counter.

With Windows 8 so cheap, I just needed to ugprade my old Vista for just 40$. Furthermore I won't be installing an array of updates for some time, since I'll be using Win 8's refresh feature each 3 months or so.

Regarding the start screen, I'm pretty neutral about it: There are things which are better, others which are worse. IMO it needs to be polished further. Meanwhile Thiyi's solution brings me back the start menu jump lists which reduce the amount of space of putting my programs on the taskbar, since I do constant switching and I don't have a specific sets of apps, aside from 11 always on applications.

Second, the start screen hangs when I put my old lappy's CPU to 100% (Core 2 Duo Mobile @ 2.4GHz) for encoding videos, so it stresses me a little bit the thought of an unexpected shutdown after spending 1-4 hours of encode (depending the video quality).

Other than that, I'm fine and really really happy with Windows 8 (Or 7.5 ;) )

I would like if you implemented a service or some kind to register when explorer crashes, or has to be crashed by installation tools that request it.

Simply because your solution is not added back to the taskbar when explorer crashed.

^this.

^this.

Agree with this, hoping ;-)

I used this before a few days, without any problems.

Now I intalled an used Office/Outlook 2013 and now I notice the limitations of Ex7forW8:

Through limitations you won't get any toast-screens...Outlook 2013 comes (in Win8) with an absolute new desktop notification system - depended on toast-screen-settings (in ModernUI) - and so if you use Ex7forW8 you will have no desktop notification for incoming E-Mail.

Edited by geneticplasma