Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

I also changed C: to X: in the registry file and "Switch shells" works fine now. Just one more thing. C: is where I have W7. Did the registry I merged last night change anything on drive C? I mean the registry that I hadn't changed its content.
No, changing registry does not change file system. :hello:

I dont have tested with the original explorer.exe but I think I have found a bug / limitation with bluetooth.

If I double click in the bluetooth icon, it show an error. Add / Show (and probable allow) a bluetooth device shows the same error.

Sorry for my bad english.

post-20998-0-15409600-1349182987_thumb.p

I dont have tested with the original explorer.exe but I think I have found a bug / limitation with bluetooth.

If I double click in the bluetooth icon, it show an error. Add / Show (and probable allow) a bluetooth device shows the same error.

Sorry for my bad english.

And just tested it... and it's true.

Haha, I've never clicked the Bluetooth icon before. I always use right click and receive/send a file. It works like a charm with this program.

What I'm saying is that Bluetooth works flawless by right clicking on it.

Edited by superjose

I know why it didn't let me choose the path last time! I had 0.9 as a portable so I only deleted its folder before installing 1.0. Today, (after having 1.0 installed successfully) I tried uninstalling it and ran the setup again. Then, I see that I had no trouble to change the install path at all!

Guess Tihiy will be swearing but I don't care! :lol:

With Bluetooth - yep, I came across the same thing.

I've been fiddling with Windows 8 quite a bit to make it like Windows 7 (there are aspects I like of the OS), but I uninstalled a bit too much. Most people probably won't have to do this, but what I did was use "sfc /scannow" in the command prompt (elevated) in Windows 8 desktop mod. Rebooted back into Windows 8 shell and Bluetooth was working fine. That bit of info is for anyone who removes too much and stuffs up Windows 8. Then I switched shells back to Windows 7.

Now in Windows 7 mode, the send/receive file dialogs work fine, but the Show Devices doesn't (thereby making it next to impossible to add a device such as speakers or headsets and so on). I think the reason for this is because that part of the OS uses the PC Settings screen, which is Metro. How I got around it is booting into Windows 8 desktop and add the Bluetooth devices in there, then back into Windows 7 mode.

Personally it shows how much of a half baked attempt (no offense to the MS developers out there mind you) Windows 8 is for the desktop user.

But really loving this app, love starting Windows and having no Metro stuff! Oddly enough I liked the Metro/Tiles at first, but after a while it just got really frustrating!

One more limitation: User Accounts -> Manage Accounts -> Add a new user in PC settings . Same error, Explorer.exe Function not implemented.

Again, not a big problem, but I think it is good to know the limitations of the software.

One more limitation: User Accounts -> Manage Accounts -> Add a new user in PC settings . Same error, Explorer.exe Function not implemented.

Again, not a big problem, but I think it is good to know the limitations of the software.

Had you read Post #2, you'd know that already... Here, I've quoted it for you and highlighted in red the relevant part... :whistle:

PLEASE READ

THIS PROGRAM IS PROVIDED TO YOU "AS-IS" AND I'M NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING

LIMITATIONS:

- Metro programs won't run. Metro UI screens won't show as it's not loaded, cannot and won't be.

- You may get more UAC prompts since explorer.exe is not in win8 UAC-approved whitelist.

- You can't add new user. Run netplwiz.exe for that.

- No default language input indicator. Enable language bar via Control Panel->Language->Advanced Settings->Use desktop language bar.

- No multi-monitor taskbars. Maybe more multimon issues.

Several UI bits missing:

- "You have new program to handle this stuff" toasts won't show. You need to use Default programs to change associations.

With Bluetooth - yep, I came across the same thing.

Now in Windows 7 mode, the send/receive file dialogs work fine, but the Show Devices doesn't (thereby making it next to impossible to add a device such as speakers or headsets and so on). I think the reason for this is because that part of the OS uses the PC Settings screen, which is Metro. How I got around it is booting into Windows 8 desktop and add the Bluetooth devices in there, then back into Windows 7 mode.

Personally it shows how much of a half baked attempt (no offense to the MS developers out there mind you) Windows 8 is for the desktop user.

But really loving this app, love starting Windows and having no Metro stuff! Oddly enough I liked the Metro/Tiles at first, but after a while it just got really frustrating!

Have you tried going to Start -> Devices and Printers -> Add device? That's how I added my Phone to the PC

Sorry if this has been asked before, but in the future will you try to get Metro working along with Windows 7 explorer?
Staring Metro in explorer7 is not possible. However, there is another big thing coming. Stay tuned.

It's awesome if there is a chance that Explorer 8 with the ribbon can work on W7!

Edit: ignore this post, Tihiy! I just want this thread always on the top!

Edited by Aloha

It's awesome if there is a chance that Explorer 8 with the ribbon can work on W7!

Edit: ignore this post, Tihiy! I just want this thread always on the top!

It being one of the forum's stickies (notice that there are just three of 'em) isn't good enough for you? :hello: