Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

You should. Also try to find a precedent of legal persecution for patching windows files to change ui with various programs.

Will do.

And I have no interest in legal persecution. I merely stated that it isn't (to my knowledge) legal.

Registering just to bash my work i consider trolling. Or obsessive agressive behavior, you call it.

Please, I don't wish for you to misunderstand me. I've only come here to prevent another Windows from being panned. Your patch is to my objective...how do I put it delicately? A fly in the ointment.

Now on the surface, this appears to be a contradiction, since people may actually want to use Windows 8 due to your patch. However, sometimes a product becomes such a convenient whipping boy that we lose sight of what it really is... Windows 8 is maligned in the same way, and by the same crowd of clueless tech bloggers. Your patch gives the impression that the start menu is absolutely necessary for the operating system to be usable, not to mention throwing out Microsoft's hard work.

Edited by JJerome

Windows 8 is maligned in the same way, and by the same crowd of clueless tech bloggers. Your patch gives the impression that the start menu is absolutely necessary for the operating system to be usable.
Ah so you hate everyone, not just me. That's good. Long story short, there is target audience for this product so there is point for it to exist. I agree it's technically not the best implementation possible, but it's good enough. Feel free to bash.

As someone that collaborated on a project that took a similar approach to what Tihiy is doing, that actually became a retail 'product' called 98lite, now hosted and still sold apparently here -- I can offer that we contacted numerous Attorneys and even Microsoft and no one felt there was ground for concern none less legal redress.

While Microsoft may have become a more litigious company since then, their attitude toward small independent projects, even those that make money and/or may walk a thin line of legality (like MDL) has ranged from benign curiosity to passive indifference.

Many Micrisoft Employees used Mark Russinovich's System Internals Tools before he was hired by the company which he sold (and did require substantial reverse engineering of Windows System Internals); as well even more Microsoft Employees use Nir Sofer's excellent tools and utilities today, some of which take a far more aggressive approach then anything Tihiy has done...

I can confidently report there are Microsoft employees that are as pleased with Tihiy's project as Fans in this thread, and if there is ever any contention over Tihiy's work he'd have probably heard from Micosoft already and will have a very generous notice if that changes...

:)

Edited by hoak

I wonder how Microsoft would feel about such an endeavor?

Actually MS already know, some member of this forum already try to post about Tihiy's excellent works on MS forums.

And their reaction? They delete it on sight, almost to made it never there.

And no, they not even bother to comment their feeling abot Tihy's works..

So, i'm trully suggest you ask them, again.

not to mention throwing out Microsoft's hard work.

Hard work can be misguided though,

with many who find a way to circumvent the Metro or Start Screen (full-screen taskbar) floating in the net,

why can't MS take hints about it?

- How to disable Metro (now dubbed as Name-less Crap) Interface?

- Wheres my aero/glasses? why can't folk at MS take hints that Ugly-Fication is more DisTractIng than beautificaion? (as folk at MS want us to believe the otherwise?)

- Why are hell, I must use my computer like I use my tablet ?

MS Hard work should be directed at something more useful, not for crap like windows8 user-interface.

Hi Tihiy,

Since I installed "Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8", the "Screen Sharing" function of Skype conversation does not work.

Someone else has the same problem?

Edit: and when I hung up the call, the conversation window with that person gone mad

Edited by sonyu

here windows 8 RTM Core x64 is non-english (zh-TW), when I right ciick a shortcut to exe on desktop, it shows me "Pin to Start Menu" which sould display in my native language zh-TW here.

below is my file structure, explorer.exe version 6.1.7601.17514 from Windows 7 SP1

zh-TW\explorer.exe.mui
7.reg
8.reg
explorer.exe
patchex7.exe
Readme.txt
wrp32.dll
wrp64.dll

@Tihiy

How about adding 7 shell32.dll.mui to explorer7 folder and load pin/unpin text from it?

2 things I've noticed while using explorer7 :

1 - The MRU programs and the start menu pinned list missing the pin/unpin text in context menu

2 - The "nice" closing of explorer doesn't work, the process remains in memory

cheers.gif

"Screen Sharing" function of Skype conversation does not work
Can anyone confirm this?
it shows me "Pin to Start Menu" which sould display in my native language zh-TW here
It should be fixed by next version.
How about adding 7 shell32.dll.mui to explorer7 folder and load pin/unpin text from it?
Yep, should do it.
The MRU programs and the start menu pinned list missing the pin/unpin text in context menu
Yes, that's an issue but it's minor since you can still pin by drag&drop and unpin using "remove from this list".
The "nice" closing of explorer doesn't work, the process remains in memory
Thanks, i'll look into it.

Thanks for this lovely mod, worked great, Microsoft should really listen to consumers and customers if they want their product to succeed because Windows 8 lacks its soul without the start button, don't know WTF was Microsoft smoking when they thought "nobody" uses the Start button anymore and decided to remove it, what a stupid idea.

Now if somebody can bring back Windows Aero I would use Windows 8 as a full time OS.

Groundbreaking News - Totally New Version!

http://tihiy.net/files/ex7forW8_0.8.zip

ex7forw8.png

- New, automated Andrea Borman-proof GUI installer / patcher. Automatically extracts or copies needed Windows 7 files.

- Explorer7/8 are treated as the same program on taskbar; no need to re-pin

- "Pin to Start Menu" strings are localized from shell32.dll.mui

I'm not dead and bring you goodies! Now Ex7forW8 (that's how i call it for short) is totally awesome.

NOTE: registry is no longer changed when you switch shells, 7.reg/8.reg are obsolete. That's is the reason you must uninstall previously installed beta versions!

Edited by Tihiy