Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Beta 7 is here - attached to first post

- Tray icon settings are stored separately for explorer7; wipe no longer needed

- Show Desktop button has slightly different style

- Windows start-up sound is always played

You must uninstall previous versions first to reset tray icon settings for the last time.

Only 26 Downloads And I know Two are from me?? really people? This hack this the best, I like to think that most people are not downloading because they can't get the Windows shell files correctly. Happy coding and mods thanks for deleting some of my posts. ;)

Probably not many forum users are using Windows 8 :whistle:

Guests are unable to download files.

@Tihiy

Great work keep it up.

B.T.W You derserve all the credit for being able to enable aero glass in Win8RTM. :thumbup

I know it not working GREAT BUT ITS A START.

I think you could make it work PROPERLY, I hope you will look into IT.

I will not be making any more POST :hello:

I have registered only to thank you for this, you've turned Windows 8 into something usable. It's working great for me so far, the only issue I had is that I had to unpin Windows Explorer from the taskbar, and pin it manually again because two instances were showing on the taskbar before that.

Thanks again.

isn't this in violation of the EULA? oh yes it is!

"- You may NOT repackage, translate, adapt, vary, modify, alter, create derivative works based upon, or integrate any other computer programs with, the Product in whole or in part."

"- You may NOT decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Product except to the extent that you may be expressly permitted to reverse engineer or decompile under applicable law."

Microsoft is not forcing anything on anyone, if you want to use a Start Menu, use Windows 7 or earlier. Or use a third-party program. I personally love the Start Screen. They (rightly) decided to move forward in Windows 8. Much like Windows 3.1 - > Windows 95.

Nevermind that the Start Screen still has instant search, pinning, and also live tiles, better screen estate, item grouping, etc.

If we had your way, we'd still be using the Program Manager.

They kept the new Start Menu until Windows 7. That gave it a good life of 8 years. Now we're on to bigger, better things.

When Windows 7 was in beta, adherents of the Classic Start Menu were told "it's time to move on", yet the same people who rebuked these adherents don't want to lose their Windows 7 Start Menu. Irony at its finest.

Oh and as for the people complaining about it being "hard to shutdown", do yourself a favor and press Alt+F4 while you're on the desktop.

If memory serves, you can create a shortcut in Windows 8 to shutdown or restart your computer. Place it on the desktop, taskbar, or pin it to the Start Screen.

To shutdown,

Shutdown.exe -s -t 00

To restart,

Shutdown.exe -r -t 00

Problem solved.

Edited by JJerome

"- You may NOT repackage, translate, adapt, vary, modify, alter, create derivative works based upon, or integrate any other computer programs with, the Product in whole or in part."
I didn't. Who use do, but adapting programs for personal use is absolutely legal in most countries.
"- You may NOT decompile, disassemble, reverse engineer or otherwise attempt to discover the source code of the Product except to the extent that you may be expressly permitted to reverse engineer or decompile under applicable law."
You didn't. Someone else did (under applicable law), otherwise we wouldn't be having any kind of programs which change Windows UI.

This talk is pointless because my work is legal for me. For you, it is too, unless you have a law which explicely disallows this. Also it's pointless because you troll.

In other news, i didn't have time to work on project but hope to bring good news soon.

You didn't. Someone else did (under applicable law), otherwise we wouldn't be having any kind of programs which change Windows UI.

The user of your patch doesn't modify any Windows files, but someone else does for you. ...Isn't that a loophole?

This talk is pointless because my work is legal for me. For you, it is too, unless you have a law which explicely disallows this.

Oh contraire. I wonder how Microsoft would feel about such an endeavor? Perhaps we should ask to make sure that it's O.K?

Also it's pointless because you troll.

...One post is trolling? That's new.

Edited by JJerome

Oh contraire. I wonder how Microsoft would feel about such an endeavor? Perhaps we should ask to make sure that it's O.K?
You should. Also try to find a precedent of legal persecution for patching windows files to change ui with various programs.
...One post is trolling? That's new.
Registering just to bash my work i consider trolling. Or obsessive agressive behavior, you call it.