Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

You may also find some of the exploration and method used here in investigating how Server 2012 boots directly to Desktop after Desktop Experience is installed of interest.
I can create a tool which skips or disables metro totally or partially for Win8 explorer.exe, without any services. However, it's not interesting without proper Start menu and is totally different story.

My problem is that my patched Windows 7 explorer.exe don't start under Windows 8. When it tries to start after logon, just a colorized screen appears and the pointer. I can run everything with the task manager, and restoring the original shell with patchex7 is working. I think the problem is with my languange I using. I'm using Hungarian version of Windows 7 and 8, so I've used the Hungarian explorer.exe, and the explorer.exe.mui from the hu-HU folder. This can be the problem, or something that I've not tried yet?
If you have Hungarian versions of both Win7 and Win8 and placed explorer.exe.mui to "hu-HU" subfolder you should be fine. If not, you must use "en-US" explorer.exe.mui.

You can download MUI for win7 from Microsoft, any language:

http://www.mydigitallife.info/download-windows-7-mui-language-packs-official-32-bit-and-64-bit-direct-download-links/

Open downloaded exe with WinRAR and find explorer.exe.mui inside.

Thanks for the help, I will try it when I'm at home :)

I'll probably slow down, i spend whole week digging this. With network icon working, this is finally usable with Wi-Fi connections.

ok, thanks for all your hard work, I'll test Beta5 later this day :):thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

Impressive work Tihiy! You may also find some of the exploration and method used here in investigating how Server 2012 boots directly to Desktop after Desktop Experience is installed of interest.

this done by a function in the Explorer.exe and the TWinUI.dll called ShouldShowStartMenuOnLogin which checks for Server, next if DE Role is installed and if this role is installed it checks if the license explorer-CanSuppressStartMenuOnLogin is allowed for this edition. Next it checks if the GPO is set to skip Startscreen. if everything is set it allows to boot directly to the desktop.

I didn't place in the right directory the explorer.exe.mui file... I placed it now at the hu-HU folder and it works very well. Marvelous work Tihiy!

This seems to be a recurring problem for folks even though it is very clearly spelled out in the instructions. Anyone have any ideas how to make the requirement for proper file placement stand out even better so RTFM responses aren't required as often? Instructions in bold, different colors, flashing text, large arrows, what will it take?

Cheers and Regards

the Chinese are working on an Aero Glass patch:

I hope he is successful but that screenshot doesn't indicate any progress except for some transparency so far. I'm definitely rooting for him though :thumbup

There is chatter of it being faked and other chatter stating he is a softie who has the 'removed code' and plans to re-integrate it. Should be interesting! More discussion on this specific Aero Glass effort ...

Aero Glass [Discuss] open Aero Glass ( PC Beta 2012-09-01<-- probably local date ) ( Chinese source page sorta translated by Google )

Aero-Glass in Windows 8 RTM, by re-instating the Aero Source Codes ( MDL 2012-08-31 )

Windows 8 may get Aero Glass back via modder ( NeoWin 2012-09-01 )

I don't know why W8 RTM does look brighter than W8 RP. As usual, I choose to use the automatic theme, choose the same picture to set as wallpaper, and it picks the color quite differrently. It never displays a dark theme no matter how dark the wallpaper is!

I haven't tried Explorer7 on this version yet.

I don't know what is happening but with b5a when I login I see the desktop and the start orb for a sec but then it crashes back to metro and the orb is gone.

With b4 it works just fine, I even tried it with a clean explorer.exe and .mui

I am using Windows 8 Enterprise x64 with the Windows 7 Ultimate x64 explorer.exe and .mui

It does work on my laptop which has Windows 8 Pro x64 on it.

That's bad. Can you send me all shortcuts from your desktop?

This one does work, thanks.

What did you mean by: all shortcuts on desktop?

All my application shortcuts or the explorer7 folder with the explorer.exe etc. in it.