Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Nice work Tihiy! It should be obvious from the strong positive reception you wrapper gets everywhere it's found or posted it has a huge audience of appreciative users.

Have you considered creating a wrapper for Explorer libraries from the Windows 8 Developer Release or any of the public builds previous to the CP that also still had a fully functional Start Menu? Some of these builds also allowed you to display not just a Windows 8 Start Menu like this:

http://s15.postimage.org/tloh2z3ll/screen739.jpg

But also a Charms Menu like this:

http://s15.postimage.org/uch78r5yx/333454_windows_8_start_button.jpg

Or even depending on your settings and where you pointed your mouse -- both:

http://s16.postimage.org/79knmbdk3/bothp.jpg

The DP version of the Charms Menu was actually an improvement as it didn't steal the desktop the way the newer Charms Bar does, giving you more Windows 7 legacy Desktop like access to Metro when and/or if you wanted it.

It just seems to me that we might get more functionality in all directions using binaries from these earlier builds of Windows 8, but obviously you're the one making the effort and with the man skills so it's your call, and I'm pleased and thank you so much that you've made the effort you have!

:)

Edited by Tripredacus
removed img tags

Can anyone else see those images?

The links are good when posted directly into the Address Bar, but they appear as empty boxes with the ALT text "POSTED IMAGE".

Weird.

EDIT: I am referring to the post #108 just above this one.

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Oh dear, some kind soul added working link, I edited out the links that looked like they weren't loading (in Opera) but in IE 10 apparently the the oppsite doesn't work -- cleaned my browser caches and everything before doing it...

:huh:

To hoak, I'll try to get them to display here in this comment. It looks like that hosting site is another that doesn't like embedding.

Here are the URL's of your three linked images ...

http://s15.postimage.org/tloh2z3ll/screen739.jpg

http://s15.postimage.org/uch78r5yx/333454_windows_8_start_button.jpg

http://s16.postimage.org/79knmbdk3/bothp.jpg

When embedded using those URL's (given by the hosting site I presume) they will not show.

But if you open them up each individually and then copy image address (in Opera) you will find these different URL's ...

http://s15.postimage.org/67ghr1lo9/screen739.jpg

http://s15.postimage.org/verdraos9/333454_windows_8_start_button.jpg

http://s16.postimage.org/omuy168v7/bothp.jpg

Here I will embed those new URL's ...

screen739.jpg

333454_windows_8_start_button.jpg

bothp.jpg

Nice pics. hoak, If you want to edit your post and change the URL's then I will delete them from here. Just let me know. NOTE: don't copy/paste the displayed text of the URL you see above because it uses ellipsis (...), instead, right-click 'copy link address' to get them.

The images still doesn't work. You need to open them directly. Why don't just change the hosting site? :unsure:

tomasz86, see the post above yours (I think we posted at the same time!).

His hosting site is okay, apparently they just gave him the standard web URL that shows the desired picture but also has some advertising and disclaimers. From there I pulled out the actual image URLs and included them above so he can edit them if he wishes.

EDIT: Ah I see now, they are using dynamic URLs at the hosting site within the original URL page. God I hate that. To hoak, tomasz86 is exactly right, you need to dump them. Photobucket still works okay, as does imgur and others.

P.S. Sorry for cluttering up the thread Tihiy!

Edited by CharlotteTheHarlot

Windows 7 explorer.exe for Windows 8

Long story short, i made a wrapper to Windows 7 explorer.exe to run on Windows 8. You can try it now in order to have native Windows 7 desktop experience, without immersive shell bits enabled, saving RAM. New Windows Explorer features like ribbon and file copying are present.

You need to have Windows 8 RP or RTM (32-bit or 64-bit) installed. Works with Server 2012 too.

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip).

It must be same bitness and same language (or en-US) version. You can use Server 2008 R2 too.

Extract them to directory like "c:\explorer7". Extact attached archive to that directory too. It should look like this:

C:\explorer7\explorer.exe

C:\explorer7\en-US\explorer.exe.mui

C:\explorer7\patchex7.exe

C:\explorer7\wrp32.dll

C:\explorer7\wrp64.dll

Launch patchex7.exe. It will patch windows 7 explorer.exe. Then choose "7" to set it as default shell in registry, terminate current explorer.exe and log you off.

After log-on you should see Windows 7 desktop.

To uninstall, launch patchex7.exe again, choose "8" to reset shell to default explorer.exe in registry. Do this if you're upgrading patcher too.

Spread the word, i need to hear opinions. If you redistribute this build, make a link where you put it and don't forget my credits.

Could you please provide the source for this? I'd really like to see what exactly is being done, and maybe even tinker with it for other shells(windows xp perhaps?)

the other reason of course being that other developers might be able to provide input on ways to improve it.

Could you please provide the source for this? I'd really like to see what exactly is being done, and maybe even tinker with it for other shells(windows xp perhaps?)

the other reason of course being that other developers might be able to provide input on ways to improve it.

Would be also interested in this.

With all due respect, don't hold your breath. While Tihiy does always create free software, he rarely releases source code, and I, for one, think he's right in not releasing it. It truly is the only thing that allows an author to establish his authorship beyond reasonable doubt. I don't want this to become a hijack discussing the merits and shortcomings of open source, so, please, *do not* reply to this post, and let's keep ontopic. This is just for your information.

Well if he don't want to he don't have to, im just saying if he don't mind, I'd love to take a look at it, I have some ideas which might work for recent thingy in start menu, nothing certain or sure. I respect his work, and would not release my own kind of thing without asking him, crediting him and so on. I just want to know how the heck did he wrote the wrapper and got rid of these errors. I know some programming in .NET and would really like to know how this thing is done and learn from it.

Tihiy, I dont force you to do anything, don't think that.

Installation: grab c:\windows\explorer.exe and c:\windows\en-us\explorer.exe.mui from windows 7 system or installation CD (with 7-zip).

It must be same bitness and same language (or en-US) version. You can use Server 2008 R2 too.

Extract them to directory like "c:\explorer7". Extact attached archive to that directory too. It should look like this:

I wonder if the files from Windows Thin PC (trial link here) work too. The ISO is much smaller (just 1,5 GB) than regular Windows 7 so people with slower Internet connections may prefer to download it in order to get the required files instead of downloading the normal ISO. Of course I'm talking about those who don't own a copy of Win7.

My guess is that the files will work but haven't tested it.

I wonder if the files from Windows Thin PC (trial link here) work too. The ISO is much smaller (just 1,5 GB) than regular Windows 7 so people with slower Internet connections may prefer to download it in order to get the required files instead of downloading the normal ISO. Of course I'm talking about those who don't own a copy of Win7.

My guess is that the files will work but haven't tested it.

It should have normal win7 sp1 explorer.exe , im sure it'll work.

I have a stupid question, in clear violation of the imposed "no stupid questions" rule:

Any chance we'll be able to use this Win7 shell alongside Win8 Metro? As in, use this shell as the Windows 8 desktop view, and still retain metro functionality/look if we choose to switch out to that on the fly?

I don't like being restricted to metro and an awful desktop in default Win8, but I don't want to completely cut out the metro interface or metro apps.

Regardless, great work. This must have taken a lot of effort, but people unanimously dislike metro, so you've done so many people a huge favor completely for free. Kudos!

Edit: Clarity. Same amount of disregard for the rules, though.

Edited by whitevandal