Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

I am using this on a laptop and the problem I am having is most of the time my laptop doesnt connect to my router straight away so I have to wait a minute or two for it to connect because its not possible to left click the network icon to make it connect manually.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for one post to suggest an answer.

Read these posts in the following thread to see how someone else worked around this problem:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35683-Windows-8-Wireless-issue?p=607308&viewfull=1#post607308

and

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35683-Windows-8-Wireless-issue?p=607521&viewfull=1#post607521

Good luck!

I am using this on a laptop and the problem I am having is most of the time my laptop doesnt connect to my router straight away so I have to wait a minute or two for it to connect because its not possible to left click the network icon to make it connect manually.

Sorry for hijacking the thread for one post to suggest an answer.

Read these posts in the following thread to see how someone else worked around this problem:

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35683-Windows-8-Wireless-issue?p=607308&viewfull=1#post607308

and

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/threads/35683-Windows-8-Wireless-issue?p=607521&viewfull=1#post607521

Good luck!

Thank you very much for this

Beta 3 released - attached to first post

- RP: taskbar is properly colorized;

- RTM: taskbar is properly colorized; taskbar and start menu are translucent;

- Fixed last task in group not painting correctly on taskbar.

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

I've changed my mind. I won't try W8 RTM because people say it looks ugly without the aero.

Edit: I prefer beta 2, I don't like the taskbar that has the same color as the title bar all the time.

Edited by Aloha

If you use patchex7, can you still use Classic Shell as well, or are there conflicts? Is there any advantage? How about Ribbon Disabler? I understand it can be used with Classic Shell, but can/should it be used with patchex7? All three? Does Aero8Tuner in some combination with the previous three succeed in restoring Aero in any way? Just trying to come up with some combination to get the best features of Win8 and Win7. So far, sticking with Win7 seems the best to me. :) But many Thanks for coming up with patchex7 Tihiy. You've given me hope that Win8 might be able to be wrestled into usable form in case I'm forced to use it.

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

In post #3 Tihiy states that:

Explorer Ribbon is still there, it's not explorer.exe related!

Using explorer.exe from Windows 8 DP won't give solve many problems, it's shell32 which was cut of start menu features.

So, IMO, this means that Ribbon Disabler should work OK in the presence of patchex7-modded Explorer 7, just as well as it does with plain-vanilla Win 8.

Thanks. Upon closer reading I see in post #22 Tihiy specifically mentions Ribbon Disabler, so that confirms that. Now I just need clarification re the use of Classic Shell and/or Aero8Tuner with patchex7.

Cheers and Regards

is it just me, or is the volume control icon, and network icon and such missing?

is there a way we can get these back? as for volume control, I -assume- that simply replacing the sndvol.exe for windows 8 with the windows 7 one -might- work, as I assume the one windows 8 has is dependent or integrated on/into metro. but I have yet to try it.

Come on guys! Lets get this fully functional! this will make windows 8 -worth- it.

Excellent! I tried this patch and it really brings the original Win7 shell back. Now it would be interesting whether it is possible to bring back original Desktop Window Manager to have Aero Glass functionality back.

btw, maybe a bit offtopic, but is it possible to put background image on win8 login/welcome/restarting/shutting down screen? It is only a minority, but Win7 has nice background there and Win8 uses only a plain colour which looks ugly.