Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

looks like MS blocked your patch in the RTM. When I try it I only get a black Window.

Wow, I remember you from JoeJoe. Got Steam?

Anyway on topic; it doesn't work for me either on RTM. Somebody named MrMagic on MyDigitalLife got it working though.

Probably there are differences between the explorer.exe in Release Preview and RTM so it may need to be patched differently. I think we should give Tihiy some time to analyse it and prepare a new version of the patch ;)

Beta 2 released - attached to first post

- New Alt-tab window works;

- Start menu shutdown choices shows Log off, Switch user, Lock.

When upgrading, you must first run patchex7 and select "8", then re-logon in order to be able to replace files. After replacing files, run patchex7 and select "7".

Thank you very much for this. They are posting this in win7vista but they are restricting it to VIP members. This is much better than Stardocks Start8.

Probably there are differences between the explorer.exe in Release Preview and RTM so it may need to be patched differently. I think we should give Tihiy some time to analyse it and prepare a new version of the patch ;)

Nope. They are the same. I am using this on Windows 8 RTM

ok, 2 users got it working. I'll try it again.

Its very easy to get it to work once you follow the instructions properly. With this installed windows 8 starts almost immediately. No waiting for it to boot.

Worked fine on leaked x64 RTM, no special actions needed. Non-transparent gray taskbar looks not so good though.

I'm on vacation now and will resume development in two weeks.

I'm loving this tool very much :)

Two things that I noticed though,

1. The network icon in the taskbar isn't left clickable, the right click options do work.

2. When you have your taskbar buttons set at never combine the last window of a 'group' applications doesn't have graphics even when selected, the others do work (if combine is selected it works fine),

example: 4a650de1.png

Just 2 minor things to put on your to do list, or tell me how to fix.

Andre,

May I try this Win8 RTM too? I mean, where can I get the setup file?

For how long can I try this version? Do you know when it will expire?

Am I a little cruel if I choose No in the poll?

It is much appreciated if you can give any answer to any question! Thanks in advance!

Registered just to show my support for this :)

would it be possible to copy the dll's for the wifi to work, or would that be silly?

I was hoping the RTM version would contain the normal start menu, I figured they disabled it with the dev preview to make dev's write metro app's

Running on a sandybridge i3 in a vm and windows 8 feels just as fast as the windows 7 host, quite impressed, but I miss the prettyness of 7, 8 looks outdated, this start menu helps but the borders around regular windows still look naff :|

*edit*

windows update disables this and you have to reapply it :(

seems you can safely delete the windows apps folder, some 60k files taking up 600mb/s, even metro still works just nothing loads when you click the icons :o I'm guessing people already did that here, was just curious to how much space metro takes up, if we're going to try and use the old start menu and not use the metro apps may as well remove them

Edited by SteadVex

Tripredacus,

I've just found some links to download W8RTM from another forum. They call them ISO download links and they seem to be torrents. I guess it's not safe to try one of these W8 so I'll wait till next week. Thanks for replying.

Tripredacus,

I've just found some links to download W8RTM from another forum. They call them ISO download links and they seem to be torrents. I guess it's not safe to try one of these W8 so I'll wait till next week. Thanks for replying.

Warez discussion is not allowed on this forum. All official downloads from Microsoft are not available in a direct link, and are behind logon portals.

I am using this on a laptop and the problem I am having is most of the time my laptop doesnt connect to my router straight away so I have to wait a minute or two for it to connect because its not possible to left click the network icon to make it connect manually.