Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

When I click on Explorer on the taskbar, another icon of it will jump out. It doesn't combine with the available icon.
Unpin original explorer and pin new one. They're different programs and it should be comprehensible, as well as start menu dual nature. I'll add those facts to thread third post.

Okay, it works. The taskbar looks better now. Thank you.

Btw, I put the two needed files in a safe folder so that I can easily get them for the new patch! I guess we will need them a few more times.

b1 works fine. But you need the original explorer.exe So it would be nice if the tool could create a backup of the original explorer.exe.

This explorer doesn't overwrite the old explorer, all you have to do is run the patch and select "8" to switch back to the original explorer.

If one wanted to have everything automated the tool would have to download Win7 SP1 (500MB), extract explorer.exe & explorer.exe.mui from there and then patch them.

Actually, he probably would be allowed to for instance:

1. Create the patched Windows 7 Explorer file on his own machine.

2. Run a DIFF between the Windows 8 RP Explorer and his now patched Windows 7 one.

3. Do the same for the MUI.

4. Have his patcher apply the DIFFs to the RP Explorer and MUI to create the patched Windows 7 ones.

Beyond that his program would be the same, wait for user prompt to decide whether they want the Windows 7 Explorer or Windows 8 RP one.

I've cleaned up this thread of unnecessary drama. Sorry if some on-topic stuff had to go with it.

For the record: we cannot legally share original MS files (from Windows or anything else, be it explorer.exe or whatever else). It's also against the forum rules, and understandably the site owner doesn't like getting DMCA takedown notices in his email. If someone doesn't like it, they can feel free to provide a better solution (while remaining legal of course).

Constructive criticism and on-topic discussion is more than welcome as usual. Let's keep it at that please.

This explorer 7 is more interesting than I thought.

- Now there are sounds when I sign out, sign in or shut down or start the computer.

- With explorer 8, the automatic theme always makes the title bar and the taskbar have the same color when I change the wallpaper. This explorer 7 lets them choose color severally. The color of the taskbar always blends well with the color at the bottom of the wallpaper, while the title bar will have the dominate color of the whole picture. This means sometimes they have the same color, sometimes they have different color. And I really like this!

Anyway, how about getting Win7 SP1 explorer.exe from this hotfix?

expand the MSU and use expand.exe to extract the CAB.

I tried it today on Windows 8 x64 updated Build 8400 and it didn't worked. No start menu here!

have you used the 64Bit Explorer? Is the MUI at the correct place?

I wonder why he can't solve the problem relating to the scroll bar I mentioned in my own topic. It is explorer 7, and this problem doesn't happen on W7 at all.

In case there is a new update, I would like it possible to log out through the start menu instead of having to press Ctrl+Alt+Delete.

And ... I think Tomasz86 just offered where to get explorer 7, he didn't ask for the way how to get it!