Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Well MS never liked any tools which are patching system files, didn't they? I hope your technet post won't lead to more features removed from RTM. :rolleyes:

Okay tried on 64-bit. Works nicely. If any one has 7 Taskbar Tweaker running, exit it or not so nice things will happen. The EXE still didn't change the "shell" entry in the 64-bit registry but I changed it manually and have the Start Menu back. Thanks!!! Great job. The keyboard loop doesn't work yet? (Hotkey shortcuts in the Start Menu?). You can get language input indicator by turning on old language bar from Control Panel and use Left Alt+Shift keys to switch like Windows 7. Will test for more features working and not working. Here's the proof:

6UNIm.png

Though I fear if MS went so far as to delete that thread, they may go a step further and ship an "update" to Windows 8 RTM to ensure only a signed Windows 8 binary will run or something like that. :unsure:

Unrelated to this project but replacing Taskmgr.exe and Taskmgr.exe.mui from 8 with 7's also brings good old Task Manager for those who can't stand the new one with Metro clutter.

Edited by xpclient

The keyboard loop doesn't work yet? (Hotkey shortcuts in the Start Menu?)
You mean specifying keyboard shortcuts for start menu items? Works for me.
The EXE still didn't change the "shell" entry in the 64-bit registry but I changed it manually and have the Start Menu back
It changes shell in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon, it should work that way in 32-bit and 64-bit versions. Edited by Tihiy

I can customize the notifications now.

Both "Pin to Start" and "Pin to Taskbar" work perfect. (Edit: I mean the Pinning on Right click context.)

"Use large icons" in Start Menu properties doesn't work, the icons still display small, but I think it's OK.

Thanks for making this patch, Tihiy. I decide to use this explorer a few more days to see if there is anything else to complain!

Edited by Aloha

Gosh, Tihiy. You should have warned me not to delete anything on Start Menu of explorer 7 because it will make the tiles on Start screen of explorer 8 disappear too!

Why didn't you tell me something like this:

Adding icons to Start Menu of explorer 7 is also adding tiles on Start Screen of explorer 8.

Deleting icons on Start Menu of explorer 7 is deleting tiles on Start Screen of explorer 8 too.

And ... I am searching for the way to get back the Desktop tile now!

Gosh, Tihiy. You should have warned me not to delete anything on Start Menu of explorer 7 because it will make the tiles on Start screen of explorer 8 disappear too!
No whining allowed. I've attached desktop.lnk, drag it into start folders.
Has anyone tried this on a later build? I think I'm going to load up Windows 8 and see if it still works.
You're from the future, right?

Desktop.zip

Insane beings from the future says it still works. :angel

The part I like is that it was really easy to do. Ease of use is always good for things like this.

Well that's enough fiddling for today, back to work...

looking at pictures of cats on the internet

Tested on W8 RP x64, works nice. Hopefully it'll be possible to have the Start Menu start up in the normal view with the recent programs on the left, and an "All Programs" link instead of defaulting to the "All Programs" view.

Good job!

Makes sense now that deleting the icons would remove them from the Start Screen.

No whining allowed. I've attached desktop.lnk, drag it into start folders.

I wasn't whining! Just wanted to tell everyone not to make the same mistake. Look at the download count of the attachment, sir! Don't say that I need your desktop file so much that I have to download it four times in all! I won't say thanks because you said I was whining!

----------------------

Warrior,

When I click on Explorer on the taskbar, another icon of it will jump out. It doesn't combine with the available icon. This doesn't happen when I click on IE. Something like this:

APz7X.jpg

Do you think this should be fixed?

Warrior,

When I click on Explorer on the taskbar, another icon of it will jump out. It doesn't combine with the available icon. This doesn't happen when I click on IE. Something like this:

APz7X.jpg

Do you think this should be fixed?

It's not a huge priority to me, I mainly use GPSoftware Directory Opus, but if everything else is fixed, then yes that could be a last priority. :D

Edited by roirraW "edor" ehT

I don't use Windows 8 myself but I just want to say thank you Tihiy for this awesome patcher you've been developing :thumbup

You may have guessed already I don't use Win 8 either (nor do I think I'll in the foreseeable future -- I do have access to Win 7 machine, though, but use it sparingly)... Anyhow, my feelings echo those expressed by tomasz86: thank you, Tihiy, for this awesome project. You do rock! :thumbup