Windows 7 explorer for Windows 8

Tihiy

121 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be able to use explorer7 with current limitations?

• Yes
    • No

Well, why call it W8 anyway?

Not sure, perhaps after 7 we must shout 8 immediately, just like when we were young we learnt how to count numbers!!! Btw, I even don't know why they call W7 as W7!

Perhaps Microsoft is merely performing some rudimentary arithmetic ...

Windows 6.1 ... 6 + 1 = 7

Windows 6.2 ... 6 + 2 = 8

Then: Windows 5.2 ... 5 + 2 = 7 >>> Windows XP-64 = Win 7!!?

------------------

Tihiy,

The patch works fine but I change it back to W8 already. This Explorer makes Start Menu look nicer than the start menu when we use Classic Shell, but it doesn't works as good as the Classic Shell. And I don't like it when I can't customize the notifications!

There are 12 downloads but not all come to give feedback.

Are you going to update this patch to make a better explorer, Tihiy? I don't mind testing it again.

And, why Charlotte keeps editing his post? Is there anything wrong?

Any chance this will have full X64 support at any point in the future
Yes, i hope next version will be 64-bit too.
and does it also disable the explorer ribbon?
No. There is tool called... ribbon disabler?

I'm trying to reinstate Metro in Win7 explorer in order to fix parts dependant on Metro UI.

Hey Tihiy, can't get this to work. On x64 Windows 8, I copied 32-bit Explorer.exe from Windows 7's SysWOW64 and Explorer.exe.mui from SysWOW64\en-US\ and placed it in another folder and extracted this patch there. Then it ran the patch and even said patched successfully, then I pressed 7 to set the 7 Explorer as default, it said success all done and then even deleted the icon cache and terminated Explorer. Logged off and now Explorer.exe does run from C:\Explorer7 but it opens the file manager window..that is, it runs as the file manager, it doesn't run as the shell, the Taskbar etc don't appear. Also the value of the shell key at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon still says simply "Explorer.exe" which means it is still loading it from the %windir% path. I changed it to C:\Explorer7\Explorer.exe, and still Explorer.exe is only opening it with as a file manager, not as a shell. I get the Ribbon even if Explorer.exe of Windows 7 is running. What went wrong? Sorry if this comes under "stupid questions".

I changed it to C:\Explorer7\Explorer.exe, and still Explorer.exe is only opening it with as a file manager, not as a shell.
I believe (read somewhere?) that MS resticted win8 x64 to 64-bit shell only. But fear not, beta 1 will have 64-bit support. I can't promise ETA now, but it should be soon enough.

^^ Okie dokie no problem. :) Yes Windows 7 and onwards, only 64-bit Explorer can load as shell. I just thought that because 64-bit is mentioned in the OP, you had tested it with 64-bit. Will wait for the 64-bit version then. ;)

Beta 1 version uploaded to first post!

• Improved Start Menu appearance
  • Customize tray icons dialog works
  • 64-bit support!

Edited by Tihiy

I also wanted to say thanks. I am using W8 RP x64, and plan on using the RTM, but I'll probably be ignoring Metro for the most part at least for a year or two. I'm also happy with W8's Desktop interface in combination with Classic Shell, but it's good to have alternatives and as long as it's stable I think it's a good idea.

thanks, I'll test it later this evening :)

And MSFT is angry about you. I've posted a link and a picture of Win8 with your startmenu and 1 hour later the topic was deleted in the technet forum. Again you see the censorship against all users who don't like metro.