[DISCONTINUED] XP/2003 features worth adding to USP5.2

tomasz86

On 2/17/2013 at 4:50 AM, Tommy said:

It's getting offtopic just a little bit, but since you bring up CRT, I just have to mention it....what ever happened to this kind of technology? They come out with all this stuff that is suppose to be 'better', but what about the people who still prefer stuff like this? I actually like LCDs myself, but I personally prefer the standard 4:3 as opposed to 16:9/16:10. I do have a CRT downstairs on my work computer and to me, it's still a great piece of hardware. I run it at 800x600 purposely too. XD I know most websites want at least 1024x768, but I always used to use that resolution so I'm doing it for good old times.

I know that this is a very late reply :ph34r: but I have been cleaning all my threads and just found out that I missed this question.

The CRT I was using at that time actually died a few months later and after that I did finally decide to switch to LCDs. I still hate the input lag and low refresh rates which are so prevalent on most LCDs (except for high-end gaming ones) but I have managed to settle with mid-range LCDs with IPS matte panels. The ones I use on a daily bases are both 16:10 though - one 22" 1440x900, one 24" 1920x1200.

The CRT technology itself is dead, as far as I know.

The only bad thing is how heavy CRT monitors are, but I don't think I'd mind LCD panels so much if you could buy both regular or widescreen models. I found a nice Dell LCD panel at Goodwill and it's actually my main panel because it's a nice square and it also has a USB hub on it which makes it even more convenient to plug stuff into!

3 minutes ago, Tommy said:

The only bad thing is how heavy CRT monitors are, but I don't think I'd mind LCD panels so much if you could buy both regular or widescreen models. I found a nice Dell LCD panel at Goodwill and it's actually my main panel because it's a nice square and it also has a USB hub on it which makes it even more convenient to plug stuff into!

Companies like EIZO still sell "squarish" LCD monitors (even completely square like 26.5" 1920x1920 :P) but they are targeted at professionals, thus they are also very expensive.