Win2k on Intel Z77

I have mobo Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H with Intel Core i5-3570K.

Nlite Win2k SP5 with blackwingcat’s iata76_cd2kd AHCI driver.

[Drivers]

..\iata76_cd2kd\Winall\Driver\iaAHCI.inf,iaAHCI_10R

..\mb_driver_chipset_intel_7series\INFUpdate\All\2008s4el.inf,0

Win2k doesn’t complain that driver is “corrupted”, but hangs at the first installation screen, “Press Enter to install Windows”.

Any ideas?

I'd try with a fully updated source (all official and if possible unofficial updates). Theoretically it shouldn't matter but I can say from my experience that it does matter. I had a situation when the setup didn't want to go any further and it was only after slipstreaming all official & unofficial updates that everything went smoothly. Otherwise it crashed just after the first part of the text setup.

As both AHCI & IDE modes don't work I don't believe it's a problem with the driver.

Edited by tomasz86

Try installing to a VM, then cloning to the real machine. Does it then work?

I’m running Win2k in VM on the Z77X-UD5H right now, also XP and Win7. Virtual machines cannot see the hardware, so I doubt that would work because Win2k would still have no drivers, though I’m open to ideas.

I'd try with a fully updated source (all official and if possible unofficial updates). Theoretically it shouldn't matter but I can say from my experience that it does matter. I had a situation when the setup didn't want to go any further and it was only after slipstreaming all official & unofficial updates that everything went smoothly. Otherwise it crashed just after the first part of the text setup.

As both AHCI & IDE modes don't work I don't believe it's a problem with the driver.

Thank you. Has Blackwingcat confirmed whether the iata76_cd2kd AHCI driver works on the z77 platform? The z77 is very new, the mobo manufacturers are still working on the BIOS, and you’d need the very latest Linux kernel to support it.

Nlite Win2k SP5...
Next question - are you referring to this in tomasz86' signature (link inside that link back to MSFN Topic for it)?

No, I used Gurglemyer’s original SP5, it is missing some 30-60 official KBs, I wish somebody would nlite them into SP5+ or something..

No, I used Gurglemyer’s original SP5, it is missing some 30-60 official KBs, I wish somebody would nlite them into SP5+ or something..

Dude! Have you tried looking here (another MSFN member's website)? Also note that the prior link (tomasz86' website) I gave specifically states that it's a continuation of gurglemeyer's USP5! You're WAAAYYY behind the times! Either use the link I just gave or try any of the methods given by tomasz86. Start from there then come back with any problems (also try the Drivers -another MSFN member- you have). This is your best bet.

edit - WOW! That (see next post) is really comprehensive, tomasz86 - links and all! Kudos!

"Let no other Updates stand before me!" - So sayeth the MSFN Experts... ;)

Actually there are way more KBs missing from Gurgelmeyer's USP 5.1 whose last version was released around summer 2006, especially if you include patches for WMP, MDAC, DX, etc.

Here is a more or less accurate list of updates/HBRs included in the USP 5.1 which are still valid. You don't need to integrate them again if you use USP 5.1 but there still will be a lot of other packages to integrate/install (I'm not sure how many but probably around ~150?).

The complete method described on my website is probably the simplest way to slipstream everything and it utilises USP 5.1 too. Or you can follow the "Basic method" if you want a really super easy one. The bristols' updates list (already mentioned by submix8c) is also very good but you can easily get lost in the mass of updates.

Edited by tomasz86

Actually there are way more KBs missing from Gurgelmeyer's USP 5.1 whose last version was released around summer 2006, especially if you include patches for WMP, MDAC, DX, etc.

Here is a more or less accurate list of updates/HBRs included in the USP 5.1 which are still valid. You don't need to integrate them again if you use USP 5.1 but there still will be a lot of other packages to integrate/install (I'm not sure how many but probably around ~150?).

The complete method described on my website is probably the simplest way to slipstream everything and it utilises USP 5.1 too. Or you can follow the "Basic method" if you want a really super easy one.

Thank you, I didn’t know all this. I’m not an IT administrator, I’m an inventor/industrial designer, so I find this “too much info”, HF, HFSLIP & RVMi mean nothing to me.

-- Is there a single file SPx that I can run to integrate everything into SP4 in one shot?

-- OR a collection of KBs that I can download, unzip into a single directory and ask Nlite to integrate them all at once and prepare a final ISO?

Unfortunately nLite is not capable of integrating updates that add new files to the source which means that it cannot integrate UURollup and/or Update Rollup 2.

You really can't avoid using HFSLIP but if you look at the basic method described on my site you can see that you only need three (four in case of Server) files to download.

It's really simple:

1. You only need to download HFSLIP together will all other tools listed in the Table 6 (except the ones for XP).

2. Download the newest version of UURollup (ENU) and Update Rollup 2 and place them in HFSLIP\HF directory.

3. Copy your Windows' source to HFSLIP\SOURCE.

4. Run HFSLIP (with default settings).

5. After it's finished run nLite on HFSLIP\SOURCESS and integrate Onepiece's Windows 2000 postSP4 Update Pack. At this point you can also integrate drivers and do all other changes in nLite.

6. Create ISO.

This is basically it. You're not integrating ALL available components this way but this is the price for simplicity. Still your Windows will ~95% up to date. The only important components which are excluded are .NET Framework 3.0, 3.5 and 4.0 but you can always install them later if necessary.

Is there a single file SPx that I can run to integrate everything into SP4 in one shot?

This is what I've been preparing but it's still a long way to go. The OnePiece's Update Pack is this kind of package but only for official components.

Edited by tomasz86

OK, I read and here’s what I understand:

Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe -- Has everything but it only updates a running system, which I don’t have, I’m trying to create a complete boot-up install CD. So, NOT usable for my purposes?

OnePiece_Windows_2000_Post-SP4_UpdatePack_v5.0.2_FINAL_ENU.7z -- Works, has the same content as above, and CAN be integrated using Nlite: Unpack archive, Select “Integrate Hotfixes, Add-ons and Update Packs” and “Create Bootable ISO”. For the 3 problem files, when prompted select to “overwrite”. (Just curious -- How does Nlite know what to integrate? It will look at all the INF files?)

Do I get it?

Windows2000-UpdateRollup2-x86-ENU.exe -- Has everything but it only updates a running system<snip>Do I get it?
No, you don't. Who told you that? Whoever did, they fibbed and/or misled you - It is "integrate-able"! Do NOT use nLite for first part, use HFSLIP first for "fixes" then nLite for Drivers after, i.e. Follow the instructions given. ;)
You should use HFSLIP first and then integrate the update pack with nLite or RVMi. Do not try doing it the other way round.
Edited by submix8c