KB2660649

iamtheky

I have (2) server 2008 R2 systems, they are from the same baseline and generally receive the same patches.

I am installing KB2660649 manually, it applied to the first, but i received "not applicable to your computer" on the second. Any likely culprits for this behavior?

I'd bet this has something to do with it - from the KB article, in the fine print for Windows Server 2008 R2:

This update is only applicable for Windows Server 2008 R2 systems when the Ink Support component of the optional Ink and Handwriting Services feature has been installed and enabled. See the update FAQ for details.

Unless you have people using 2008 R2 servers with pen input (or touch) capabilities, you don't really need the Ink and Handwriting Services feature enabled at all, for what it's worth.

Thanks, having you both answer is a rare gift. I will confirm/deny the component discrepancy between the machines, and if needed add the cab with DISM.

update: The Ink component was indeed the difference, that box serves handheld computers which have touch input. But i will certainly explore whether it is needed because with our app the pen input is only used for selection of controls (like a simulated left click). Thank you again.

Edited by iamtheky

WUSA checkes if a feature is enabled. With DISM it only checks that the feature is present (even if not activated the update installs). Next time you aktiivate the Ink componnent Windows will use the updated files so you avoid the installation of the update.