Windows 2000 on a Acer Aspire One AO532h

but inside the *.inf files of XP there is the support for the controller (in IDE mode)

2000 mshdc.inf supports IDE mode too.

Which windows 2000 install media did you used?

Wich SP was integrated? Did you integrate Update Rollup?

Was EnableBigLBA integrated to CD?

but inside the *.inf files of XP there is the support for the controller (in IDE mode)

2000 mshdc.inf supports IDE mode too.

Which windows 2000 install media did you used?

Wich SP was integrated? Did you integrate Update Rollup?

Was EnableBigLBA integrated to CD?

For the installation on the Acer Extensa I used the Windows 2000 SP4 in Italian, without any update.

But on my hard disk, there is a Windows 2000 CD updated with the most recent unofficial Service Pack. EnableBigLBA was integrated there.

When I have used it, it was useless since I could not continue.

I think that there must be a way to install or use Windows 2000. I don't know where is the solution. Maybe from some trick to begin the installation from XP, maybe from some *.inf updated, maybe from creating a virtual floppy which contain the Sata drivers.

Edited by Agorima

How about starting the installation using the netbook HDD in the other (desktop) computer and then after the first text part is finished you can try to move the HDD to the netbook again. I mean that you should choose a partition, let the installer copy all the files, etc. After that it will reboot and this is the moment you should move the HDD. Of course everything needs to be done using the IDE mode and the ACPI settings should be exactly the same (you can use F5 to specify the ACPI manually).

Edited by tomasz86

For the installation on the Acer Extensa I used the Windows 2000 SP4 in Italian, without any update.

Try the version with EnableBigLBA.

But on my hard disk, there is a Windows 2000 CD updated with the most recent unofficial Service Pack. EnableBigLBA was integrated there.
Which files exist at hard disk? It's a ISO image?
When I have used it, it was useless since I could not continue.
Use the same files, but another approach.

A strange partition entry may result to black freeze too. Backup all data and MBR. Keep active partition entry, delete other entries.

And remember winnt32 to tranfer installaion files to hard disk.

Here I am again.

Yesterday I used an HP Compaq nx6310 to install Windows 2000.

1. I have extracted the netbook's HDD and I have putted it to that notebook;

2. I have installed Windows 2000 from there, on disk C:;

After installation, every change that I made was followed by a reboot.

3. I have enabled the BigLBA on regedit;

4. I have installed in this order these updates:

a. Update Rollup 1

b. UU Rollup 10b

c. Update Rollup 2

5. I have changed the ACPI from "ACPI Uniprocessor" to "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC"

6. I have changed manually the IDE controller from "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE controller" to "Intel ICH7R/DH SATA AHCI Controller" using the blackwingcat's drivers;

At the last reboot I got the 0x0000007B error, with this code (0xF242384C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) but, as I'll say, this isn't really a problem.

After the Blue Screen of the Death I turned off the notebook and I have putted again the netbook's HDD on it's original place.

When I turned on the netbook Windows 2000 booted up successfully :)

This is the image of Windows 2000 Pro working on Intel Atom. I can use only one core and IDE mode (unless I use the appropriate SATA Drivers)

http://i45.tinypic.com/eiv5vq.jpg

The only thing that don't work properly, aside the Atheros drivers and the webcam, is the Realtek High Definition Audio. It says Error 10.

In Everest, I have seen this "Realtek ALC272 @ Intel NM10 ICH High Definition Audio Controller". I have installed the driver of the chipset.

There is a way to get it working?

Edited by Agorima

I knew that it was possible to make Win2k run on that notebook :whistle:

1) Have you tried to boot with SATA mode enabled?

2) You should try changing the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor" in order to be able to use more than one core.

3) There are official Realtek HD Audio drivers available for Win2k. Have you tried them?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

I knew that it was possible to make Win2k run on that notebook :whistle:

1) Have you tried to boot with SATA mode enabled?

2) You should try changing the "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC" to "ACPI Multiprocessor" in order to be able to use more than one core.

3) There are official Realtek HD Audio drivers available for Win2k. Have you tried them?

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=24&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

1) Not yet.

2) When I used for the first time Windows 2000 on my netbook, I have changed the ACPI to "ACPI Multiprocessor" but the system freezes while booting. I had to do that procedure again. I'm sure that I don't have any other choice.

3) Not yet.

2) When I used for the first time Windows 2000 on my netbook, I have changed the ACPI to "ACPI Multiprocessor" but the system freezes while booting. I had to do that procedure again. I'm sure that I don't have any other choice.

Well, there had been several changes the last time. Kernel, hal and EnableBigLBA.

As for testing purposes: you may set kernel and hal at boot.ini

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/170756/en-us

You may prepare different boot options, similar to http://www.vernalex.com/guides/sysprep/hal.shtml

That way, you may boot current working configuration and test addional kernel and hal.

I have tried to boot with SATA mode enabled, and Windows 2000 worked fine with the Intel Chipset Drivers provided by Acer, which are almost identical to unofficial blackwingcat's drivers.

But after loading the system, it asked for the drivers of the controller, and I didn't have the Chipsets drivers handy, so I used the "Intel SATA AHCI Drivers" provided by Acer, which they are for XP.

The system failed to boot with the first error mentioned on my first post, so I have loaded it with the Last Known Good Configuration.

After another reboot, the system showed the "c:\winnt\system32\config\system is missing or corrupted" message.

Fortunately, I have Windows XP on D: so I could repair the system, although I must do again all the procedure. But for now I want only to rest my mind.

I spent so many time in this project and I am tired. The last day was very intensive for my mind.

Although the network adapters and the webcam aren't a big deal, the lack for the audio drivers and the hyper-threading is.

The official Realtek's drivers didn't work. Maybe the problem is inside the chipset's drivers.

P.S. The "ACPI Uniprocessor" of the original system works on the system repaired :)

Edited by Agorima

P.S. The "ACPI Uniprocessor" of the original system works on the system repaired :)

That's good news. Kernel hal is not the error so far.

Open device manager and change "ACPI Uniprocessor" to "ACPI Multiprocessor"

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309283

Probably in this way I'll compromise again the system. The boot.ini is now this

[boot Loader]

timeout=30

Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[Operating Systems]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

Since the last entry must be untouched, I must use another entries like this, right?

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional (ACPI Multiprocessor)" /fastdetect /hal=halaacpi.dll /kernel=ntkrnlmp.exe

I cannot switch anymore from IDE to AHCI mode. Windows 2000 still says "inaccessible boot device", but I have installed all the updates previously mentioned (except UU Rollup, which have an error that prevents to complete the installation). It was my bad if I used previously the "Intel SATA AHCI drivers".

I can't go to the Internet in Windows 2000. Although every driver works correctly (no yellow symbol in the Device Manager), I can go only to 192.168.1.1

This problem occurs from every network card which I have, both internal and external.

The external USB Wireless Adapter is "TL-WN321G", which have it's utility.

The Internet works fine on the old system. Must I import the settings from the old system?

Edited by Agorima

What kind of error do you see when installing UURollup? Could you upload the "UURollup-v10b.log" file which is located in your Windows directory? An uncompleted installation of UURollup can completely break the system...

What kind of error do you see when installing UURollup? Could you upload the "UURollup-v10b.log" file which is located in your Windows directory? An uncompleted installation of UURollup can completely break the system...

196.733: Copied file: C:\WINNT\INF\hfsecupd.inf

196.773: Copied file: C:\WINNT\INF\scripten.inf

196.843: Copied file: C:\WINNT\system32\syssetup.dll

196.863: Copied file: C:\WINNT\system32\DllCache\syssetup.dll

196.973: Num Ticks for Copying files : 107585

199.707: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for 32BPP.Section: 0x57

199.707: DoInstallation:DoRegistryUpdates failed

199.737: The parameter is incorrect.

202.641: Message displayed to the user: The parameter is incorrect.

204.454: User Input: OK

204.454: UURollup-v10b installation did not complete.

Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made.

205.255: Message displayed to the user: UURollup-v10b installation did not complete.

Select 'OK' to undo the changes that have been made.

205.255: User Input: OK

205.926: Starting process: C:\WINNT\$NtUninstallUURollup-v10b$\spuninst\spuninst.exe /~ -u -z

254.185: Software Update Rollback has completed with return code 0xbc2. This rollback requires a reboot.

254.185: UURollup-v10b installation did not complete.

Windows 2000 has been partially updated and may not work properly.

257.070: Message displayed to the user: UURollup-v10b installation did not complete.

Windows 2000 has been partially updated and may not work properly.

257.070: User Input: OK

257.070: Update.exe extended error code = 0x57

257.070: Update.exe return code was masked to 0x643 for MSI custom action compliance.

Shutdown Initiated in Self Extractor

This is the error that I have in the .log file

http://www.4shared.com/file/nfkU7kEw/UURollup-v10b.html

Edited by Agorima

Could you upload the full log file somewhere else? You've got to log in in order to download files from 4shared.com. I actually had an account there but don't remember my password... and I've been waiting for the confirmation e-mail for more than 40 minutes now :|

Edited by tomasz86