Windows 2000 on a Acer Aspire One AO532h

@submix8c

As long as Windows boots from C:\ on the old computer then there shouldn't be any need for changing the letter, should it? :unsure:

@Agorima

It's good that you've written about your hardware. As far as I know, there is no working driver for the Atheros network card. I had a fight with it on a desktop, tried several different drivers, even managed to find one specifically for "2K"... but in the end none of them worked. I "solved" the problem by using an external PCI LAN card :ph34r: so my guess is that you won't be able to use the Internet under Win2k on that machine.

I have a USB WiFi adapter. I don't remember the name of it, but as far as I know, the drivers works fine in Windows 98 SE, 2000, Me and XP.

When I surfed in IPv6 in Windows 2000, through a tunnel broker, I said "I can't believe" :)

Edited by Agorima

There are 2 partitions on the HDD

C: is 39,9 GB

D: is 192 GB

I can not zero the MBR before backing up my HDD to an external hard drive which I have. I don't wanna loose many "classic" Eurodance songs.

I'd like to downgrade to Windows 2000 because is fast, stable and quite simple. Moreover, the recent unofficial updates reignited the interest for this old OS.

There are several unknown difficulties.

I would: eliminate USB boot:

remove the hard disk, attach to another testing machine

run winnt32.exe from a stock Win2000 SP4 CD and apply files to partition 39,9 GB

set EnableBigLBA at setupreg.hiv

attach hard disk to netbook

configure BIOS to IDE emulation

boot from hard disk

Most importand:

What's "classic" Eurodance songs?

I have copied a Windows 2000 installation from an old computer and I have putted it on the partition D: of my hard drive, then I've edited the boot.ini.When Win 2K is loading, it still gets the 0x0000007B error, but with a different code (0xF681B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)Is there a solution about this error with a different code?

@submix8cAs long as Windows boots from C:\ on the old computer then there shouldn't be any need for changing the letter, should it?

:whistle:

As long as the ORIGINAL HDD is used in ANOTHER computer

-OR-

The Contents OFFLINE are copied to ANOTHER HDD on the FIRST PARTITION!

And... you may STILL get the x7B BSOD!!! (see below)

The OP is/was "copying" (not Cloning) a "C-Drive" Win2k to a "D-Drive" and trying to BOOT to it (by modding the "C-drive" BOOT.INI..)! Worse, they are NOT using the HIVE'S that it RUNS with! IT WILL NOT WORK!!!! Trust me!!!!

@Agorima - you are doing this ALL WRONG!!!! You MUST get the OLD (from OLD computer) Win2000 C-Drive copied INTACT (and COMPLETE) from it TO the D-Drive of your "Test Computer", then use something like PTEDIT32 to SWITCH Boot Indicator of Partition-1 (C-Drive) from "x80" to "x00" and of Partition-2 (D-Drive) from "x00" to "x80" THEN change the Parition Type of Partition-1 (C-Drive) to the SAME TYPE except HIDDEN! This will allow the "Copied" to THINK it's the C-Drive (it won't "see" the REAL C-Drive). HAVE PTEDIT32 on BOTH HDD'S - OR get the DOS version (PTEDIT) and put it on a MINIMAL BOOTABLE DOS FLOPPY and flip-flop from DOS.

The PTEDIT programs are found here.

Good Glory, guys, I've been through this "moving an OS to a different HDD/Partition" many times. Win9x will ALWAYS believe (no matter WHAT Partition) it's on a C-Drive as long as that partition is the Active one ("x80"). NO NT-type OS can be "moved" to a DIFFERENT Partition and expect it to Boot like it used to. AND the x7B "bomb" is almost ALWAYS because of ChipSets and/or Drivers (maybe the HAL? Can't remember...). The ONLY way to "beat" it CLEANLY is to "Reinstall/Upgrade" over top of the old one (to retain other Software and Settings)!

Edited by submix8c

NO NT-type OS can be "moved" to a DIFFERENT Partition and expect it to Boot like it used to. AND the x7B "bomb" is almost ALWAYS because of ChipSets and/or Drivers (maybe the HAL? Can't remember...).

The HAL shouldn't matter because even if you change from single CPU/core to multi-CPU/core you can always change the HAL in the Device Manager after doing so. I mean that if you change your CPU from a single-core to a multi-core one Windows will still see only one core until you change the HAL manually.

There are several unknown difficulties.

I would: eliminate USB boot:

remove the hard disk, attach to another testing machine

run winnt32.exe from a stock Win2000 SP4 CD and apply files to partition 39,9 GB

set EnableBigLBA at setupreg.hiv

attach hard disk to netbook

configure BIOS to IDE emulation

boot from hard disk

Most importand:

What's "classic" Eurodance songs?

The "classic" Eurodance songs are, for example, "Dance if you cannot" of Daisy Dee, "What is love" of Haddaway and "Memories" of Netzwerk. The classic style remains about the same from 1992 to 1997 :)

@Agorima - you are doing this ALL WRONG!!!! You MUST get the OLD (from OLD computer) Win2000 C-Drive copied INTACT (and COMPLETE) from it TO the D-Drive of your "Test Computer", then use something like PTEDIT32 to SWITCH Boot Indicator of Partition-1 (C-Drive) from "x80" to "x00" and of Partition-2 (D-Drive) from "x00" to "x80" THEN change the Parition Type of Partition-1 (C-Drive) to the SAME TYPE except HIDDEN! This will allow the "Copied" to THINK it's the C-Drive (it won't "see" the REAL C-Drive). HAVE PTEDIT32 on BOTH HDD'S - OR get the DOS version (PTEDIT) and put it on a MINIMAL BOOTABLE DOS FLOPPY and flip-flop from DOS.

The PTEDIT programs are found here.

Good Glory, guys, I've been through this "moving an OS to a different HDD/Partition" many times. Win9x will ALWAYS believe (no matter WHAT Partition) it's on a C-Drive as long as that partition is the Active one ("x80"). NO NT-type OS can be "moved" to a DIFFERENT Partition and expect it to Boot like it used to. AND the x7B "bomb" is almost ALWAYS because of ChipSets and/or Drivers (maybe the HAL? Can't remember...). The ONLY way to "beat" it CLEANLY is to "Reinstall/Upgrade" over top of the old one (to retain other Software and Settings)!

I'm sorry. It was my fault. I hope that your suggestions are useful for me.

This afternoon I used an Acer Extensa 5230E which remained for 3 hour at my home because my cousin was repairing it.

After backing up my data I made the big step to install Windows 2000 to the first partition of my HDD.

When the HDD returned to the original place, in my netbook, I wanted to see if your suggestions was useful.

Shortly before the "Windows 2000 Professional" screen, the computer goes into a black screen with a cursor, and simply cannot continue.

After the repairing of the Extensa notebook, I viewed the properties. The type of the notebook is "ACPI Uniprocessor", and probably this cause the problem that I described.

Can I change the HAL wihout reinstalling Windows 2000 on another notebook?

Edited by Agorima

The HAL shouldn't matter. You can change it manually in the Device Manager. Just remember not to switch between an ACPI and a non-ACPI one because this will break the system.

Black Screen with Cursor

BIOS->HDD

-- MBR Code - Look for Active Partition and Boot to it. If no code, no boot.

HDD MBR Code->Partition

-- BPB code - Look for NTLDR and execute it

NTLDR->BOOT,INI

-- The corresponding Selection is loaded.

Did you by chance "clone" (by copying) to a non-MBR'd HDD? Do you still have the USB HDD plugged in?

When the HDD returned to the original place, in my netbook, I wanted to see if your suggestions was useful.

Shortly before the "Windows 2000 Professional" screen, the computer goes into a black screen with a cursor, and simply cannot continue.

Exactly WHO are you responding to? Me or tomasz86?

You're (again) providing insufficient information. Explain EXACTLY (Step-by-Step) how you did this, resulting in the "black screen".

Black Screen with Cursor

BIOS->HDD

-- MBR Code - Look for Active Partition and Boot to it. If no code, no boot.

HDD MBR Code->Partition

-- BPB code - Look for NTLDR and execute it

NTLDR->BOOT,INI

-- The corresponding Selection is loaded.

Did you by chance "clone" (by copying) to a non-MBR'd HDD? Do you still have the USB HDD plugged in?

Exactly WHO are you responding to? Me or tomasz86?

You're (again) providing insufficient information. Explain EXACTLY (Step-by-Step) how you did this, resulting in the "black screen".

I'm responding to everybody's suggestions when I say "your suggestions". English is not my primary language.

Anyway, my cousin removed my HDD from inside the netbook, and putted it inside the Acer Extensa.

So, I have installed Windows 2000 on that notebook. After installation, I have turned off the notebook, without changing the type of the computer, which is "ACPI Uniprocessor". The HDD was putted again inside the Aspire One netbook.

When I booted the netbook, after the progress bar, it appeared the black screen with a blinking cursor.

Edited by Agorima

How about enabling /bootlog and /sos switches in the boot.ini:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833721

and later checking the log file (from another OS/PC) to see what was wrong.

Of sure I'll do everything to see the old OS working. I wonder if copying the *.inf files which are loaded into the setup of Windows XP Service Pack 3 to the I386 folder of the Windows 2000 CD (copied into the HDD) can avoid the 0x0000007B error. But I don't know which are the *.inf loaded.

Did you enable big LBA?

No, but I have installed Windows 2000 on C: without any problem.

Edited by Agorima

No, but I have installed Windows 2000 on C: without any problem.

Well, this can be the reason for black screen.

Question didn't relate to c: partition, question relate to d: partition.

Was full hard disk available at other machine?

Did you access data at second partition? Did you write data beyond 128 GB LBA?

You risk second partition data without EnableBigLBA.

What about suggest winnt32 approach?

Prepare hard disk for installation at other notebook, USB case. Swap hard disk and install at netbook.

Don't mix XP files to 2000.

Question didn't relate to c: partition, question relate to d: partition.

Was full hard disk available at other machine?

Did you access data at second partition? Did you write data beyond 128 GB LBA?

You risk second partition data without EnableBigLBA.

What about suggest winnt32 approach?

Prepare hard disk for installation at other notebook, USB case. Swap hard disk and install at netbook.

Don't mix XP files to 2000.

I didn't see if the hard disk was fully available. I have just turned off after the desktop appeared.

I have returned to XP after I saw that WIndows 2000 didn't boot.

P.S. I know that's unrecommended, but inside the *.inf files of XP there is the support for the controller (in IDE mode), I think.

Edited by Agorima