Windows 2000 on a Acer Aspire One AO532h

I have checked now the old system. Under Device Manager, it shows three IDE controllers

"Primary Channel IDE"

"Secondary Channel IDE"

"Controller IDE Via Bus Master"

The files are, viewing the details of the last controller, "atapi.sys", "pciide.sys", "pciidex.sys".

PCIIDE is the generic IDE driver already.

However you have to set generic HardwareID PCI\CC_0101 too.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314082/en-us

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\primary_ide_channel]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E96A-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="atapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\secondary_ide_channel]
"Service"="atapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\*pnp0600]
"Service"="atapi"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\gendisk]
"ClassGUID"="{4D36E967-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}"
"Service"="disk"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CriticalDeviceDatabase\pci#cc_0101]
"Service"="pciide"

Is there a way to move "default", "sam", "security" and "system" from the old computer?

Is there a way to move "default", "sam", "security" and "system" from the old computer?

Yes, example adds \pci#cc_0101 settings at old system.

Boot a PE, copy and paste files.

Or restore whole 2000, as done previously.

I've tried to install my old OS, Windows 2000 Professional SP4, from my external DVD drive, but everytime I receive the 0x0000007B error (0xF6863848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) and the setup cannot continue.

When do you receive a BSOD?

Which screens do you get previously?

Does BSOD refers to USB booting?

When do you receive a BSOD?

Which screens do you get previously?

Does BSOD refers to USB booting?

I receive this BSOD after loading the drivers, and before the "Windows 2000 setup" screen.

Yes, my external DVD drive use a USB port. It' s compatible with Win 2K SP4, since I buyed it 5 years ago.

If I set the BIOS to IDE mode, the setup of Windows XP SP3 works fine. The setup of Windows 2000 have that error.

Edited by Agorima

Could you just try to uninstall the VIA drivers from the old computer, reboot (Windows should install default drivers then), and after that try to swap the HDD?

In which way I can swap the HDD? The old computer is a desktop, not a notebook.

Edited by Agorima

Now I've seen that you copied files instead of swapping HDD...

I think the best way would be to take the netbook HDD out, connect it to the desktop, install Win2k there under IDE mode using Windows' default IDE drivers and then put it back into the netbook.

Now I've seen that you copied files instead of swapping HDD...

Nevermind :)

I think the best way would be to take the netbook HDD out, connect it to the desktop, install Win2k there under IDE mode using Windows' default IDE drivers and then put it back into the netbook.

I think it's not a bad solution.

HUH???? Have you been trying to Install From a Bootable External USB????

1 - you're not providing clear, concise information - we've had to "drag" it out of you

2 - you are not following instructions TO THE LETTER!

HUH???? Have you been trying to Install From a Bootable External USB????

1 - you're not providing clear, concise information - we've had to "drag" it out of you

2 - you are not following instructions TO THE LETTER!

Here I am again. Let me explain everything once for all, since my defect is what you said on the point 1.

1. I have an Acer Aspire One 532h, with the Intel NM10 chipset and ICH7R SATA Controller (Intel® 82801GR).

2. I have also an external DVD drive, which use a USB port. It' s compatible with Win 2K SP4, since I buyed it 5 years ago.

3. Everytime I try to install Windows 2000 from the external DVD drive i get the 0x0000007B error (0xF6863848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000), therefore an INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE, before the "Windows 2000 Professional Setup" screen. The same error appears even when i switch from AHCI to IDE mode and when I use a Usb key.

4. The same error doesn't appear on the setup Windows XP SP3, both from USB key and from external DVD drive, when I use the IDE mode from Bios. Now I think that XP have an updated Mshdc.inf and Mshdc.sys that Windows 2000 don't have.

5. I have tried to use the official drivers of the controller of the HDD, that supports Win 2000. I had no luck.

6. I have followed the instructions TO THE LETTER to enable the LBA. Same as before.

7. I have integrated all the updates, following again the instructions to the letter. Same as before.

8. The Iso updated worked fine on VirtualBox using the Chipset PIIX3 (Not ICH9!) under the System> Motherboard and the ICH6 emulation under Storage.

So tomasz86 said to me to take the HDD out of the computer, that is a netbook, connect it to an another computer and install Win2k on it there. And then I can put it back.

9. I have found a computer quite recent (about 2010) to install Windows 2000, that use an Intel Pentium processor, but, since I have so many data, and before doing that big step, I have copied a Windows 2000 installation from an old computer that mounts an AMD Athlon XP 1700+, I have putted it on the partition D: of my hard drive and then I've edited the boot.ini, but I could not copy the files "default", "software", "sam", "security" and "system" from the old computer, so I used the default files (I don't remember where I found them)

The error of INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE appeared again, but with a different code (0xF681B84C, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

10. The old computer, under Device Manager, shows three IDE controllers:

"Primary Channel IDE"

"Secondary Channel IDE"

"Controller IDE Via Bus Master"

The files are, viewing the details of the last controller, "atapi.sys", "pciide.sys", "pciidex.sys".

11. I didn't uninstalled the third controller that I said just before. I have selected the "PCI Ide controller" although I have seen that I cannot copy that five files which contain the System Registry.

12. I didn't set yet the generic HardwareID PCI\CC_0101. I'm waiting the night, or the early morning, to use the monitor of the desktop pc, since my brother needs it.

13. I hope that adding \pci#cc_0101 settings at old system can help me to move the five untouchable files. Otherwise, I'll follow the advice of tomasz86.

I hope it's all clear for everybody.

Edited by Agorima

Busy right now, but one point...

Mixing points - 9, 10 and 11

You can't copy the HIVE (the five you speak of) files from a Running System. Exactly how did you copy it? From Running Win2000->USB->D-Drive?

If you have a Running XP and the CD for it, try using WinBuilder or BartPE and make it extremely small-sized (only include what you need) and boot to it, THEN copy the Old Win2000 with the VIA drivers. I still foresee the Chipset Drivers causing problems when you try to boot to it. I'm doubting that will work (going to the ICH9, unless you go with Default). You'll still have to put the "Enable" REG entry into the appropriate HIVE (the old system).

-or-

Hook that HDD directly up to the Target PC (the one with the D-Drive) THEN copy.

edit - ARG!!!! Won't work that way! Copying the Old Win2000 from (old) C-Drive to (new) D-Drive still has a LOAD of Registry entries point to (old) "C:\"!!!!! That won't fly at all!!!

Thinking.... be back later.

Will ConeZilla change the Drive Letter Designations in the Registry? MAYBE using PTEDIT32 to change the Active Partitions back and forth MIGHT allow it, providing EACH has the BOOT.INI pointing at the correct partition. Even Ghost can't do that (only changes BOOT.INI for the cloned).

Edited by submix8c

2. I have also an external DVD drive, which use a USB port. It' s compatible with Win 2K SP4, since I buyed it 5 years ago.

The USB boot BIOS is importand too. BSOD 0x7b may relate to USB BIOS.

Is the hard disk partitioned already? Which partitions exist?

Can you zero the MBR?

Why do you like to install windows? Does hardware work fine?

Boot a PE and try WinNTSetup

The USB boot BIOS is importand too. BSOD 0x7b may relate to USB BIOS.

Is the hard disk partitioned already? Which partitions exist?

Can you zero the MBR?

Why do you like to install windows? Does hardware work fine?

Boot a PE and try WinNTSetup

The BIOS is "Insyde H2O", the version is 1.21 and the revision is 3.5

There are 2 partitions on the HDD

C: is 39,9 GB

D: is 192 GB

I can not zero the MBR before backing up my HDD to an external hard drive which I have. I don't wanna loose many "classic" Eurodance songs.

I'd like to downgrade to Windows 2000 because is fast, stable and quite simple. Moreover, the recent unofficial updates reignited the interest for this old OS.

I don't know if all the hardware will works fine.

The sound card is "Realtek High Definition Audio"

The graphics driver is "Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 3150"

The network adapter is "Atheros AR8132 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller"

The wireless network card is "Atheros AR5B95 Wireless Network Adapter"

P.S. I have forgot one thing: When I used nLite, I removed the "Hyper-Threading" thing because the setup of Windows 2000 hangs after loading the drivers in text mode. When I try to install Win 2K, I select "Standard PC". Do you think that selecting ACPI in nLite (unattended install) and loading it on the setup can resolve the problem?

I don't want to give up.

P.P.S. Using ACPI (in IDE Mode) I get the same error screen.

Edited by Agorima

@submix8c

As long as Windows boots from C:\ on the old computer then there shouldn't be any need for changing the letter, should it? :unsure:

@Agorima

It's good that you've written about your hardware. As far as I know, there is no working driver for the Atheros network card. I had a fight with it on a desktop, tried several different drivers, even managed to find one specifically for "2K"... but in the end none of them worked. I "solved" the problem by using an external PCI LAN card :ph34r: so my guess is that you won't be able to use the Internet under Win2k on that machine.

Edited by tomasz86