Windows 2000 on a Acer Aspire One AO532h

Hello everybody,

I'm here to submit my problem.

I have an Acer Aspire One 532h, with the Intel NM10 chipset and ICH7R SATA Controller (Intel® 82801GR), as Intel Chipset Identification Utility said.

I've tried to install my old OS, Windows 2000 Professional SP4, from my external DVD drive, but everytime I receive the 0x0000007B error (0xF6863848, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000) and the setup cannot continue. I've tried to switch from AHCI mode to IDE mode using the BIOS, but i still receive the same error. There is a way to solve this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Agorima

Are you sure you can fully switch to the IDE mode? I'd just try to add SATA drivers for ICH7R (the official ones support Win2k; if you can't find a proper one then try BlackWingCat's unofficial drivers). You can use nLite to add drivers very easily.

How large is the HDD? If it's larger than ~160GB then you should enable 48-bit LBA.

Edited by tomasz86

Are you sure you can fully switch to the IDE mode? I'd just try to add SATA drivers for ICH7R (the official ones support Win2k). You can use nLite to add drivers very easily.

How large is the HDD? If it's larger than ~160GB then you should enable 48-bit LBA.

I'm quite sure about the switch to the IDE mode. The setup of Windows XP SP3 works fine in IDE mode (and SATA, obviously :)).

My HDD is larger than 160 GB. It' s a Toshiba MK2555GSX, and it's 250 GB. How can I enable LBA in nLite?

You can't. You need to follow the instructions I gave link to above. It's pretty simple though :whistle: And I still strongly recommend integrating the SATA drivers.

Thanks :) I'll give a try in order to see if the problem is solved.

Edited by Agorima

I've extracted the reg.exe to the Windows 2000 SP4 folder, outside i386 folder, and i made every command is written here

setlocal

set winsource=.\i386

attrib -r -a -s -h %winsource%\setupreg.hiv

reg load HKLM\Setup %winsource%\setupreg.hiv

set regkey=ControlSet001\Services\atapi\Parameters

reg add HKLM\Setup\%regkey% /v EnableBigLba /t reg_dword /d 00000001 /f

reg unload HKLM\Setup

set winsource=

set regkey=

endlocal

but, after nlited the build and burned the iso, after restart, i still receive the 0x0000007B error.

Before asking your help, I have integrated the drivers of the chipset, but I had no luck.

I'm doing something wrong? I want to see my beloved OS alive again. My old notebook died almost two years ago =(

Edited by Agorima

Nu-uh... you have to run that before nLite is run. The commands (as described) are within a CMD file that you must run first. The links given were the "how-to" to "alter" SETUPREG.HIV pre-nLite. (see post #37 of the link given).

• 2 weeks later...

Nu-uh... you have to run that before nLite is run. The commands (as described) are within a CMD file that you must run first. The links given were the "how-to" to "alter" SETUPREG.HIV pre-nLite. (see post #37 of the link given).

I've done that before nLite, but I had no luck.

As the BSOD still persists you should try to add the SATA drivers using nLite and set your controller to AHCI/RAID mode.

Same as before. I tried to install Windows 2000 even from a USB key. I received the same error.

Is the motherboard too new to downgrade the system?

Edited by Agorima

I think you should try with a fully updated Win2k source.

I suspect that you're using an Italian system so the only "proper" way would be to download and slipstream all ITA/Global version of updates listed on bristols site. On the other hand, it will take a lot of time to prepare everything and you still don't know whether it's successful. Just for testing purposes I'd suggest following the "basic method" described on my website. What you should do is to integrate the English packages into your Italian Win2k source. Don't worry, everything will be fine except for the fact that most of the system will be English. By doing so you'll be able to check whether the problem lies in the source (you're using Win2k SP4... which dates back to 2003).

Here's a detailed instruction:

1. You only need to download HFSLIP together will all other tools listed in the Table 6 (except the ones for XP).

2. Download the newest version of UURollup (ENU) and Update Rollup 2 and place them in HFSLIP\HF directory.

3. Copy your Windows' source to HFSLIP\SOURCE.

4. Run HFSLIP (with default settings).

5. After it's finished run nLite on HFSLIP\SOURCESS and integrate Onepiece's Windows 2000 postSP4 Update Pack. At this point you can also integrate drivers and do all other changes in nLite.

6. Create ISO.

I think you should try with a fully updated Win2k source.

I suspect that you're using an Italian system so the only "proper" way would be to download and slipstream all ITA/Global version of updates listed on bristols site. On the other hand, it will take a lot of time to prepare everything and you still don't know whether it's successful. Just for testing purposes I'd suggest following the "basic method" described on my website. What you should do is to integrate the English packages into your Italian Win2k source. Don't worry, everything will be fine except for the fact that most of the system will be English. By doing so you'll be able to check whether the problem lies in the source (you're using Win2k SP4... which dates back to 2003).

Here's a detailed instruction:

1. You only need to download HFSLIP together will all other tools listed in the Table 6 (except the ones for XP).

2. Download the newest version of UURollup (ENU) and Update Rollup 2 and place them in HFSLIP\HF directory.

3. Copy your Windows' source to HFSLIP\SOURCE.

4. Run HFSLIP (with default settings).

5. After it's finished run nLite on HFSLIP\SOURCESS and integrate Onepiece's Windows 2000 postSP4 Update Pack. At this point you can also integrate drivers and do all other changes in nLite.

6. Create ISO.

Here I am again.

I've done yesterday everything, but I still get the same error.

But, when I've virtualized the iso on VirtualBox, it works fine using the Chipset PIIX3 under the System> Motherboard and the ICH6 emulation under Storage.

The problem seems to be the chipset Intel NM10 Express.

Is there a way to have that chipset working under Windows 2000?

You can take the HDD out of the notebook, connect it to an another computer and install Win2k on it there. After that you can put it back. Of course it would be the easiest if you used IDE mode.

It's a very unrecommended way but in fact works. I've practiced it myself :whistle: It's the third mainboard I'm using with the same system.

Edited by tomasz86

You can take the HDD out of the notebook, connect it to an another computer and install Win2k on it there. After that you can put it back. Of course it would be the easiest if you used IDE mode.

It's a very unrecommended way but in fact works. I've practiced it myself :whistle: It's the third mainboard I'm using with the same system.

My computer isn't a notebook. It's a netbook. Anyway, I hope that I'll found a computer not too old to install Win 2K on the external HDD and not too new to get the errors.

Edited by Agorima