Internet Explorer 6 and UURollup

Okay, it's been a couple of weeks since installing UURollup v10 on my PC. So far, everything looks good.

:realmad: However, when I open up the Internet Explorer 6 browser, it takes me to the Google default homepage, but when I right click with my mouse button, Internet Explorer 6 crashes with the following error:

Microsoft Internet Explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

If you were in the middle of something, the information you were working on might be lost.

Also, by clicking on what data this error report contains, the error signature refers to the affected app name and the offending module:

AppName: iexplore.exe

AppVer: 6.0.2800.1106

ModName: kernel32.dll

ModVer: 5.0.2195.7154

Offset: 0004faf2

And by viewing the technical information about the error report, I get this:

Exception Information
Code: 0xc0000005
Flags: 0x00000000
Record: 0x0000000000000000
Address: 0x0000000007c5bfaf2

I'm unable to copy down the technical information regarding the error report as I can't find a way to do it.

Can we investigate what could be causing kernel32.dll to cause a crash when right clicking the mouse under IE6 when using the UURollup v10 (which will be obsolete by USP 5.2 very soon)?

I don't think the error is related to UURollup. I also have to use IE6 sometimes and haven't experienced any problems with it...

Have you got any other unofficial updates/packages installed other than UURollup?

I don't think the error is related to UURollup. I also have to use IE6 sometimes and haven't experienced any problems with it...

Have you got any other unofficial updates/packages installed other than UURollup?

Nope. This error only occurs if you use the right click on the mouse button. I updated from UURollup v9 to UURollup v10 earlier this month and it's unclear whatever this has to do with it or not.

I recently had to reboot after a STOP 0x1E error occurred.

You may want to try doing this:

1) Download USP 5.1. Unpack it. Go to "i386\update" and open "update.inf" (using any text editor). Find "[Drivers.Files]" and remove "usbd.sys", "usbhub.sys" and "usbser.sys" from there. Do the same with the ones under "[Cache.Files]". It's necessary because the three files are buggy. After that save all changes and run "update.exe". Installing USP 5.1 will reset all IE6 settings.

2) Install UR2. It has almost all official updates and hotfixes.

4) Install all IE6 official & unofficial updates from here.

Don't touch UURollup. I think your problem should be gone after following these steps.

Edited by tomasz86

You may want to try doing this:

1) Download USP 5.1. Unpack it. Go to "i386\update" and open "update.inf" (using any text editor). Find "[Drivers.Files]" and remove "usbd.sys", "usbhub.sys" and "usbser.sys" from there. Do the same with the ones under "[Cache.Files]". It's necessary because the three files are buggy. After that save all changes and run "update.exe". Installing USP 5.1 will reset all IE6 settings.

2) Install UR2. It has almost all official updates and hotfixes.

4) Install all IE6 official & unofficial updates from here.

Don't touch UURollup. I think your problem should be gone after following these steps.

Thanks so much for the help. I have a few questions to ask.

1. I did a search for "usbd.sys", "usbhub.sys" and "usbser.sys" and I found another instance in [servicePackFiles.CommonFiles] and [sourceDisksFiles]. In the [sourceDisksFiles], would I either have to remove these files or change usbd.sys=1, usbhub.sys=1 and usbser.sys=1 to usbd.sys=0, usbhub.sys=0 and usbser.sys=0 since the files that you mentioned are buggy?

2. I already have Java 7u5, Adobe Flash 11.3 and Firefox 13.0.1 installed. I fear that installing USP 5.1 could break functionality with these apps designed for Windows XP and above as it could overwrite some of the DLLs that causes the apps to work properly. Will installing USP 5.1 overwrite the DLLs used in UURollup v10?

Incase that happens, would I have to uninstall Java 7u5 and Adobe Flash 11.3?

3. In regarding to installing IE6, which official and unofficial updates should I install? All of them?

4. One of the hotfixes listed in KB article 824220 has two files - 143610_ENU_i386_zip.exe and 137076_ENU_i386_zip.exe. Which one of these hotfixes in KB824220 should I apply?

Edited by ppgrainbow

1. The other lines do NOT matter. You only need to remove (or disable by adding ";" at the beginning) the ones I mentioned above :) The other lines are related to slipstreaming (/integrate) and the ones under "[sourceDisksFiles]" do not matter at all.

2. USP 5.1 won't affect the applications. I myself installed USP 5.1 like that here (with UURollup and many other updates installed in the system before). USP 5.1 won't overwrite any files which have newer version than the ones included in it so there's no way it will overwrite anything from UURollup.

3. To make it simple, installing:

• IE6.0sp1-KB885258-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KB905495-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KBz2416400-v2-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KBz2467659-v2-Windows2000-x86-Global.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KBz2544521-v2-Windows2000-x86-Global.exe

should be enough.

Edited by tomasz86

1. The other lines do NOT matter. You only need to remove (or disable by adding ";" at the beginning) the ones I mentioned above :) The other lines are related to slipstreaming (/integrate) and the ones under "[sourceDisksFiles]" do not matter at all.

2. USP 5.1 won't affect the applications. I myself installed USP 5.1 like that here (with UURollup and many other updates installed in the system before). USP 5.1 won't overwrite any files which have newer version than the ones included in it so there's no way it will overwrite anything from UURollup.

3. To make it simple, installing:

• IE6.0sp1-KB885258-Windows-2000-XP-x86-ENU.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KB905495-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KBz2416400-v2-Windows2000-x86-ENU.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KBz2467659-v2-Windows2000-x86-Global.exe
    IE6.0sp1-KBz2544521-v2-Windows2000-x86-Global.exe

should be enough.

Thanks again. :)

I will give it a shot by installing USP 5.1, Update Rollup 2 and the five updates that you linked to. When that's done, I will report back if there are any problems. Just to be safe, I will have to disconnect both the 250 GB and 1 TB USB drives incase installing USP 5.1 turns off LBA48 support.

Update: I installed USP 5.1, Update Rollup 2 and the five IE6 SP1 updates and it had no effect. Simply clicking on the right mouse button in Internet Explorer 6 causes the browser to crash.

I even installed UURollup v10 in a Windows 2000 VM and right clicking on the mouse button crashed the IE6 browser. So the problem has to be with UURollup v10 itself in my opinion.

Looking in the contents in Windows2000-UURollup-v10-x86-ENU.exe using 7-zip, I found that the kernel32.dll file has a date stamp of 2011-12-04 and it's 746 KB in length. It looks like that UURollup v10, which appears to be the final version of UURollup might have a buggy kernel32.dll.

Can anyone retest UURollup v10 in a Windows 2000 virtual machine, run Internet Explorer 6 and right click with the mouse to verify that something is wrong with the latest UURollup?

Edited by ppgrainbow

I have just tested UURollup-v10 & IE6 on two VMs:

1) A fully updated system + UURollup-v10.

2) Only USP5.1 + UURollup-v10.

On both of them IE6 runs fine. I don't think there's any problem with the kernel32.dll (UURollup uses WildBill's kernel).

Could you give more details about the VM you used to test? Was it a clean Win2k or were there any other updates installed?

I have just tested UURollup-v10 & IE6 on two VMs:

1) A fully updated system + UURollup-v10.

2) Only USP5.1 + UURollup-v10.

On both of them IE6 runs fine. I don't think there's any problem with the kernel32.dll (UURollup uses WildBill's kernel).

Could you give more details about the VM you used to test? Was it a clean Win2k or were there any other updates installed?

I tested Windows 2000 in VMware Player 2.5.5 with 256 MB of memory allocated. It was a clean Windows 2000 installation with all of the official updates installed.

For me, it seems that right clicking the mouse in Internet Explorer 6 without UURollup v10 works well...with it, clicking the mouse with the IE6 browser crashes. But other than that, Internet Explorer 6 does run fine.

I also checked the Event Viewer under Application Log and it threw a Event 1000 error:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 ) in Source ( Microsoft Internet Explorer ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: iexplore.exe, 6.0.2800.1106, kernel32.dll, 5.0.2195.7154, 0004faf2.

I have uploaded the screencap on to my Twitpic account with details regarding the IE6 crashing with UURollup v10: http://twitpic.com/a2s64h/full

(Be warned that the image is 1024 x 2304 in size with three 1024 x 768 screencaps combined into one.)

I was hoping that I try to do that when I install Win2k in Virtual PC 2004, but it seems that I don't have the time to do right right now.

On a off topic note, I also failed to mention that Character Map (charmap.exe, using the Windows 2000 or Windows XP version) no longer works with UURollup v10. By using the Windows Task Manager, Character Map will use close to 18 MB before it quits! :angry:

I was wondering if there was a fix to these issues that I mentioned above.

Edited by ppgrainbow

You said you had the same problem with IE6 on your desktop (not VM), right? This is very strange...

Could you try to install only WildBill's kernel instead of UURollup-v10 and check if the problem still occurs? The same kernel32.dll is included there. If possible, use the VM to test this.

I've just checked "charmap.exe" from XP on my desktop and it does work.

Lastly, coming back to UURollup, could you send me the "UURollup-v10.log" which is located in your Windows (%systemroot%) folder?

You said you had the same problem with IE6 on your desktop (not VM), right? This is very strange...

Could you try to install only WildBill's kernel instead of UURollup-v10 and check if the problem still occurs? The same kernel32.dll is included there. If possible, use the VM to test this.

I've just checked "charmap.exe" from XP on my desktop and it does work.

Lastly, coming back to UURollup, could you send me the "UURollup-v10.log" which is located in your Windows (%systemroot%) folder?

That's correct. This applies to both my desktop and the Windows 2000 VM under VMware Player. This is indeed very strange and from the way I'm providing more information, something could be wrong with UURollup v10 itself. I have attached three logs in a single text file. The one from my desktop PC and the other from VMware.

The first attachment of the log is from my main desktop. The patch was installed on the 20th of June:

The second one is the first partial installation of UURollup v10 on a Win2k VMware machine:

And the third and last one is a more complete installation of UURollup v10 on a Win2k VMware machine running in Safe Mode:

Please look over these files for evidence of what could be wrong here.

Update: I had to install Windows2000-UU-KBz2479628-v9a-x86-ENU.exe (v9 of WildBill's kernel) first before installing the Windows2000-KB2393802-v8-x86-ENU.exe (update) in a Win2k VMware machine as you mentioned before. Once the files were installed, Internet Explorer 6 worked correctly with the right mouse click and Character Map functioned well. :)

However, even I installed the two files that you linked to, Firefox 13 and certain apps that were complied using MSVC 2010 would not work correctly. I'll probably need to compare the files from the files in the C:\WINDOWS\System32 directory against the files that were installed in a Win2k VM.

I will leave WildBill's kernel installed until there is a resolution to fix the IE6 right click bug and non working Character Map.

Edited by ppgrainbow

I don't see any particular problems in the log files, except for the second "partial" one which is broken.

I hope I'm guessing correctly... did you install the two WildBill's updates over UURollup-v10? If yes then it's no surprise that the applications don't work because some files from UURollup have been overwritten with different ones coming from the two updates. Anyway, at the moment I think doing two more tests may be helpful:

1) Could you install UURollup-v9b (you can find it here, look for "TEMP - UURollup-v9b" at the bottom) in the VM (but don't remove any already installed packages)? But don't do a normal installation but rather unpack it, open "update\update.ver" and remove everything from there except the first line. After that run update.exe and install it, and after reboot please try to run IE6 and check if everything is ok.

2) If no problems occur with UURollup-v9b then you could try to install UURollup-v10 again (as before, don't remove anything before installing it) but this time you should open "update\update.inf" and remove (disable) all lines containing "shell32.dll". After that you can install it by running update.exe.

The difference between UURollup-v10 and UURollup-v9b is not significant. The only important change is the new shell32.dll from BlackWingCat. Let's check if it is the culprit.

Edited by tomasz86

I don't see any particular problems in the log files, except for the second "partial" one which is broken.

I hope I'm guessing correctly... did you install the two WildBill's updates over UURollup-v10? If yes then it's no surprise that the applications don't work because some files from UURollup have been overwritten with different ones coming from the two updates. Anyway, at the moment I think doing two more tests may be helpful:

1) Could you install UURollup-v9b (you can find it here, look for "TEMP - UURollup-v9b" at the bottom) in the VM (but don't remove any already installed packages)? But don't do a normal installation but rather unpack it, open "update\update.ver" and remove everything from there except the first line. After that run update.exe and install it, and after reboot please try to run IE6 and check if everything is ok.

2) If no problems occur with UURollup-v9b then you could try to install UURollup-v10 again (as before, don't remove anything before installing it) but this time you should open "update\update.inf" and remove (disable) all lines containing "shell32.dll". After that you can install it by running update.exe.

The difference between UURollup-v10 and UURollup-v9b is not significant. The only important change is the new shell32.dll from BlackWingCat. Let's check if it is the culprit.

Okay, I'll try that to see how it goes. :)

Edited by ppgrainbow

I apologise for the spam and updating this comment, but I did the following as you suggested:

1. I extracted the UURollup v9b file, removed everything in the "update\update.ver" file, ran update.exe and installed it. I rebooted the Windows 2000 VM and ran Internet Explorer 6. When I clicked on the right mouse button, everything went fine.

2. After installing UURollup v9, I extracted the contents of UURollup v10, disabled the lines containing references to shell.dll and ran update.exe. After rebooting the Windows 2000 VM, I ran Internet Explorer 6 and when I clicked on the right mouse button, Internet Explorer 6 still crashed. :(

So no matter how many times I installed UURollup v10, Internet Explorer 6 wouldn't work correctly and Character Map refused to run at all. Something appears to be wrong here.

I'm wondering if it's even possible to replace the shell32.dll file from UURollup v10 or not. If so, I would have to boot from the DOS prompt to do that since the hard drive is formatted using the FAT32 partition.

Edited by ppgrainbow

This is actually very good news because now we know for sure that v9b is OK while v10 is not OK which means that there indeed must be something in v10 that causes the problems. The bad thing is that I can't reproduce the problem here so it's impossible for me to test it myself but I'll have a look at the differences between v9b and v10 and try to figure out what may be the reason.