My Home Server

rolanddes

Hi guys. Currently I have a server laptop that serves me for these purposes:

Runs 24/7

Runs Utorrent and downloads some stuff with RSS feeds

Connected to my WD 4 TB external harddrive via USB

Runs Air Video (a software that streams video via internet or LAN to my mobile devices like ipad and iphone)

Runs some media player server apps for my tv or PS3

Keeps my files and runs Dropbox

Lets me remotely connect to it via Logmein or Teamviewer

Lets me access to my files (remember the 4 TB HDD) from my Mac (as network drive)

It runs a Windows 7 copy

But it's an old laptop and nowadays it started getting too hot and slow. I am thinkg about replacing it. I see some androidbox media players that run Android. Should I stick to a windows machine? Or what should I buy? What is your solution for those stuff I mentioned above?..

• 2 weeks later...

I would build something myself, like a Celeron G530 CPU, 2 or 4GB RAM (cheap), use the old laptop HDD to boot and the 4TB as you use it now. There are nice ITX boards for LGA1155 but they are more expensive than ATX boards so all depends on how tiny footprint you want the new server to have. The Celeron G440 even uses less power but is also a lot slower compared with the G530.

• 4 weeks later...

I would build something myself, like a Celeron G530 CPU, 2 or 4GB RAM (cheap), use the old laptop HDD to boot and the 4TB as you use it now. There are nice ITX boards for LGA1155 but they are more expensive than ATX boards so all depends on how tiny footprint you want the new server to have. The Celeron G440 even uses less power but is also a lot slower compared with the G530.

Thanks. (and sorry for the late reply) but I do not think I'm gonna buy a desktop case. Because even the smallest ones are big compared to a laptop. And also it requires a montitor which I do not have. Besides that configuration would not fit in a locker type in which I keep my current laptop configuration.

Thanks though..