Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

I can't install new Foxit Reader 6.0.2.407. Message: "Runtime Error (at -1:0) Cannot Import dll: C:\Windows\Temp\...\FXCUSTOM.dll"

But there is a possibility to start and run it. I installed it on XP SP2 (SP1 isn't enough), copied the Foxit program folder onto the Win ME desktop. The Foxit Reader.exe needs Kstub822 with following definitions

[KERNEL32.dll]

ReleaseActCtx=z1

CreateActCtxW=p1e0

ActivateActCtx=o2e0

DeactivateActCtx=o2e0

to start. Better run it with comp.mode XP.

The ImportPatcher complains about jrsysMSCryptoDll.dll and imgseg.dll, too. The jrsysMSCryptoDll.dll is located in the plugin folder.

Printing isn't possible anymore. => The DBGHELP.dll of ME is too old. Upgrade required.

As a reminder: I'd installed already MSXML 4.0 SP2 for version 5 and I've the winhttp.dll of XP in my system folder.

Now I've successfully installed Foxit Reader 6.0.2 0413 and 6.0.3.0524 with an additional entry.

[WINSPOOL.DRV]

XcvDataW=z8e

Also Required:

[KERNEL32.dll]

ActivateActCtx=o2e0

CreateActCtxW=p1e0

DeactivateActCtx=o2e0

ReleaseActCtx=z1

winhttp.dll

msxml4 SP2

Edited by schwups

Hello Jumper,

you added some links of recommended updates in the first post. The exe installer of the msxml4 SP2 fix KB973688 doesn't run on my system. I opened it with 7Zip and extracted "msxml.msi" and "sfx manifest". The msi has worked. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

For StarCraft II®: Wings of Liberty™, the Blizzard store says:

PC Minimum System Requirements*:

• Windows® XP/Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 (Updated with the latest Service Packs) with DirectX® 9.0c
    2.6 GHz Pentium® IV or equivalent AMD Athlon® processor
    128 MB PCIe NVIDIA® GeForce® 6600 GT or ATI Radeon® 9800 PRO video card or better
    12 GB available HD space
    1 GB RAM (1.5 GB required for Windows Vista®/Windows® 7 users)
    DVD-ROM drive
    Broadband Internet connection
    1024X720 minimum display resolution
    *Note: Due to potential programming changes, the Minimum System Requirements for this game may change over time.

PC Recommended Specifications:

• Windows Vista®/Windows® 7
    Dual Core 2.4Ghz Processor
    2 GB RAM
    512 MB NVIDIA® GeForce® 8800 GTX or ATI Radeon® HD 3870 or better

Looks like a 9x system can just slide in with the minimum specs. Perhaps it's already possible to run it--have you (or anyone) tried? What dependencies remain to be added?

I'll worship the hell out of the person who gets SC2 to work ;D

• 1 month later...

Latest Flash Player (11.7.700.169) requires:

[Gdi32.dll]

GdiAlphaBlend=

I can run and use RealWorldPaint without issues using:

[Ole32.dll]

HICON_UserFree=

HICON_UserMarshal=

HICON_UserSize=

HICON_UserUnmarshal=

Btw, it seems they pulled Foxit Reader 6 out, I couldn't find a working download link for it.

Hi, am not sure what you mean, is it actually possible to run the latest 11.8 flash on 98? like I say all I used to do was download the portable flash and extract nppdf32.dll and NPSWF32.dll both with KernelEx enabled, then place them both in the macromedia system folder, and normally the newly version would show on the adobe flash player test version site, but that doesn't seem to work now, so I seem to be forced to use 11.6

EDIT,

Sorry, I really meant to have posted this on the thread below, but forgot I had been referred to this thread and posted it here in error, please move it there if need be.

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156028-new-flash-player-112202228/page-5

Edited by frogman

Hallo frogman,

to run the Flash Player 11.8 you must paste (alphabetically)

[Gdi32.dll]
GdiAlphaBlend=

into your Kstub.ini.

"nppdf32.dll" is the Adobe PDF plugin and has nothing to do with the Flash plugin.

• 3 weeks later...
Sumatra PDF 2.3 released:

[DBGHELP.dll]

SymFromAddr=z4

is required to run it.

It does not work for me. Is it necessary to copy dbghelp.dll from XP?

Hallo slhk,

No, a dbghelp.dll from XP isn't required. I just checked it on a ME installation without updates (plain vanilla, KernelEX 4.5.2, Kstub 822). But necessary is a the GDIPLUS.DLL. It is required for the Revolutions Pack, too. z4 may be omitted. Also I'll examine it on 98SE.

Edited by schwups

No, a dbghelp.dll from XP isn't required. I just checked it on a ME installation without updates (plain vanilla, KernelEX 4.5.2, Kstub 822). But necessary is a the GDIPLUS.DLL. It is required for the Revolutions Pack, too. z4 may be omitted. Also I'll examine it on 98SE.

My system is 98SE with Revolution Pack. It does not have dbghelp.dll

My system is 98SE with Revolution Pack. It does not have dbghelp.dll

OK: 98SE doesn't have the DBGHELP.dll. The ME version works for SumatraPDF 2.3.x! The file must be added to the systemfolder and it must be added in the registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\SessionManager\KnownDLLs.

Also there is a problem with versions 2.0 and 2.1. on 98SE plain vanilla. The msvcrt.dll has to be replaced by the ME version.

Or we find good stubs for

[MSVCRT.DLL]

_time64=

_wstat64=

to run these versions.

After adding them to the Kstub.ini Sumatra starts, but crash in order to open a pdf file.

Edited by schwups

The GDIPLUS.DLL is required for version 1.2 and higher.

Yes copying XP's dbghelp.dll to its folder works for 98SE and ME. Also copying the dbghelp.dll of XP into the system folder works.

Edited by schwups

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still not getting the new(est) versions of Flash to run. I've Added this to Kstub822.ini:

[Gdi32.dll]

GdiAlphaBlend=z11

I have tried with and without the "z11" part (rebooting between tries) and it makes no difference. When I visit this URL with Firefox 2.0.0.20: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

With the flash DLL named as npswf32_11_8_800_94.dll I get a small box with light-blue background where animation movie should be, and larger box also with light-blue background further down where flash version should be printed. No error messages, but also no movie.

With the flash DLL renamed as npswf32.dll, I get this error: "The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart firefox." The test URL does not run the movie or display the flash version, and there are no light-blue boxes. Regardless how I have the DLL file named, nothing changes when I change the Kex compatibility mode between Default and Windows 2000/sp4.

Reverting back to the previous flash dll (named as npswf32.dll, version 11.6.602.171) the movie plays fine, the flash version is displayed.

With the older version (11.6) present as NPSWF32.dll, and the newer (11.8) version present as npswf32_11_8_800_94.dll in the MACROMED/FLASH directory, both set to win2k compatibility, I get the "illegal operation" error message.

And if it matters - I have many ocurrances of different versions of GDIPLUS.DLL all over my C drive (but none in the Kex directory) and specifically I have version 5.1.3097.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) in my windows/system folder. I have 6 different versions of dbghelp.dll located in 6 different /program files/ folders.

Does the new version(s) of flash require a matching or compatible flashplayer.xpt file to be present in the \Flash directory?

I'm still not getting the new(est) versions of Flash to run. I've Added this to Kstub822.ini:

[Gdi32.dll]

GdiAlphaBlend=z11

I have tried with and without the "z11" part (rebooting between tries) and it makes no difference. When I visit this URL with Firefox 2.0.0.20: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

With the flash DLL named as npswf32_11_8_800_94.dll I get a small box with light-blue background where animation movie should be, and larger box also with light-blue background further down where flash version should be printed. No error messages, but also no movie.

With the flash DLL renamed as npswf32.dll, I get this error: "The plug-in performed an illegal operation. You are strongly advised to restart firefox." The test URL does not run the movie or display the flash version, and there are no light-blue boxes. Regardless how I have the DLL file named, nothing changes when I change the Kex compatibility mode between Default and Windows 2000/sp4.

Reverting back to the previous flash dll (named as npswf32.dll, version 11.6.602.171) the movie plays fine, the flash version is displayed.

With the older version (11.6) present as NPSWF32.dll, and the newer (11.8) version present as npswf32_11_8_800_94.dll in the MACROMED/FLASH directory, both set to win2k compatibility, I get the "illegal operation" error message.

And if it matters - I have many ocurrances of different versions of GDIPLUS.DLL all over my C drive (but none in the Kex directory) and specifically I have version 5.1.3097.0 (xpclient.010817-1148) in my windows/system folder. I have 6 different versions of dbghelp.dll located in 6 different /program files/ folders.

Does the new version(s) of flash require a matching or compatible flashplayer.xpt file to be present in the \Flash directory?

I rechecked on 98SE: Flash 11.8 requires "[DINPUT8.dll] DirectInput8Create=". The DinPut8.dll is part of DirectX 8 and 9( c ). Nomen please verify this with the Import Patcher. Drag and drop the Flash dll on the Import Patcher and click no. Open the generated ini file. Maybe there are more updates required for a clean installation by msi, but Flash 11.8 should run for you with this dll. If you don't have success make sure that you have MS Visual C++ 6.0 run-time (atl.dll) installed.

"z11" for GdiAlphaBlend can be omitted.

The GDIPLUS.DLL and flashplayer.xpt shouldn't be necessary for Flash 11.8.

Edited by schwups

I rechecked on 98SE: Flash 11.8 requires "[DINPUT8.dll] DirectInput8Create=". The DinPut8.dll is part of DirectX 8 and 9( c ).

So I should add this to Kstub822.ini?

[DINPUT8.dll]

DirectInput8Create=

Nomen please verify this with the Import Patcher. Drag and drop the Flash dll on the Import Patcher and click no. Open the generated ini file. Maybe there are more updates required for a clean installation by msi, but Flash 11.8 should run for you with this dll. If you don't have success make sure that you have MS Visual C++ 6.0 run-time (atl.dll) installed.

"z11" for GdiAlphaBlend can be omitted.

The GDIPLUS.DLL and flashplayer.xpt shouldn't be necessary for Flash 11.8.

Using ImportPatcher.37, I get this:

==========

[Parameters]

Test by loading=Y

Walk dependencies=N

Link to copies=N

Unbind broken bindings=N

OS Subsystem Version Ceiling=4.10

[DLL replacements]

[KERNEL32.dll]

VerifyVersionInfoW=

VerSetConditionMask=

[Patches needed]

npswf32_11_8_800_94.dll.new=Subsystem, Functions

============

And if it means anything, kstub822.log is full of these:

= Kernel32.dll:GetUserGeoID=t1 = (mostly this one, many of them)

= Kernel32.dll:InitializeSListHead=f1 = (about twp-dozen of these)

= Secur32.dll:InitSecurityInterfaceW=z0 = (a handful of these)

I have version 3.00.8449 of atl.dll in my windows\system folder, 73 kb, file-date Aug 29/2002.