Kext: DIY KernelEx extensions

I think you already installed DirectX. Which version is it? "[DINPUT8.dll] DirectInput8Create=" doesn't occur in your ini file. That means the function DirectInput8Create is supported. Don't add it to your Kstub.ini.

The problem must be somewhere else.

Do you have an error message during the msi installation?

Did you try only copying the Flash dll http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/how-to-install-flash-player in your Flash folder or into the plugin folder without installation. Previously uninstall your old Flash version or delete all Software > Macromedia > FlashPlayer > FlashPlayerPlugin (FlashPlayerUpdate) keys in your registry to avoid different versions.

I don't change the KernelEX mode for the Flash dll. I change the mode for the browser exe file.

Flash 11.8 works for me on 98SE and ME. Important requirements: DirectX9c (DX 8 not testet), Kext with added [Gdi32.dll]GdiAlphaBlend in the Kstub.ini, Windows installer 2.0.2600.2 (1.0/1.1/1.2 not testet), not sure with MS Visual C++ 6.0 run-time (atl.dll)

I think you already installed DirectX. Which version is it? "[DINPUT8.dll] DirectInput8Create=" doesn't occur in your ini file. That means the function DirectInput8Create is supported. Don't add it to your Kstub.ini.

My directx version is 9.0c (4.09.000.0904). There is no [DINPUT8.dll] section in my kstub822.ini file.

The problem must be somewhere else. Do you have an error message during the msi installation?

I did not run the msi file. I downloaded this file: Flash_Portable_11.8.800.94_32-64_Plugin.exe and unpacked it manually, where I found NPSWF32.dll (version 11.8.800.94).

Did you try only copying the Flash dll (link) in your Flash folder or into the plugin folder without installation. Previously uninstall your old Flash version or delete all Software > Macromedia > FlashPlayer > FlashPlayerPlugin (FlashPlayerUpdate) keys in your registry to avoid different versions.

I did not look at the link (yet) that you posted. But as I said - I had flash 11.6 and simply dropped the 11.8 version DLL into the windows/system/macromed/flash directory, renaming the old file to avoid conflict.

What is gained (or - what is different) when the msi file is run?

I apparently have npswf32.dll version 11.3.300.265 in program_files\mozilla_firefox\plugins. Is it important/necessary to coordinate the flash DLL's between that location and system/macromed/flash?

I don't change the KernelEX mode for the Flash dll. I change the mode for the browser exe file.

I'm assuming that flash 11.8 will work with FF 2.0.0.20...

So basically I need to know if running the msi file is absolutely required, and if so is any preparation required (like uninstalling old version and / or manually removing registry entries).

Did you try only copying the Flash dll http://my.opera.com/Tamil/blog/how-to-install-flash-player in your Flash folder or into the plugin folder without installation.

I obtained the file NPSWF32.zip as described in that link, and placed the file npswf32.dll in my program_files\opera\program\plugins folder. Prior to doing that, the only files in that folder was readme.txt and npqtplugin.dll.

I then ran opera (12.02) and went to the flash version page: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

What I saw next is typical (for me) when viewing flash content using Opera -> it displays a big play ">" button where the flash content should be on any page I visit. Clicking that button starts the flash player and the content / object is rendered. In this case, the movie plays just fine. Further down on that page, I click the other play button and the flash version is displayed (11.8.800.94). So Opera has no problems with this version of flash and just dropping the DLL into it's plugins folder.

I did a binary compare of this flash DLL and it matches the file that I've been trying to drop into the /macromed/flash folder. The only thing I haven't done (yet) is drop this DLL into the firefox plugin folder...

Yes, Flash 11.8 works with Firefox 2.0.0.20. The Flash installation by msi isn't necessary, but maybe you get helpful hints.

I suggest you uninstall the old version and make sure that you delete the registry entries, if some remain. And then run the CCleaner 2.36. Delete all NPSWF32.dll's in the plugin folders. Finally try to install Flash with the msi.

:) Run Firefox with comp. mode Win2000 SP4.

Edited by schwups

Just to add one more thing - I've dropped the 11.8 version DLL into \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins (calling the file NPSWF32.dll and then renaming to NPSWF32_11_8_800_94.dll) and FF just seems to ignore it, and instead is using the DLL located in \macromed\flash directory.

Just to add one more thing - I've dropped the 11.8 version DLL into \Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugins (calling the file NPSWF32.dll and then renaming to NPSWF32_11_8_800_94.dll) and FF just seems to ignore it, and instead is using the DLL located in \macromed\flash directory.

In this case (name is NPSWF32_11_8_800_94.dll) run FF with comp mode Win2000.

• 3 weeks later...

Someone found a way to run latest Flash Player 11.8 for IE. It is necessary to change compatibility mode of Flash32_11_8_800_168.ocx to 2000 or XP, then run regsvr32 and register the OCX file.

I can confirm that it works. I downloaded this file: http://download.macromedia.com/get/flashplayer/current/licensing/win/install_flash_player_11_active_x.msi and set the Kex properties of the msi file to win-2k. Then ran the installer, which failed - but it put Flash32_11_8_800_175.ocx in my windows\system\macromedia\flash folder. I set the Kex properties of that file to Win-2k and then used regsvr32 from a command-line in that folder to register it. I tested it here using IE6 - http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html and the animation works, and it says I have flash version 11.8.800.175. I've also played some youtube videos and some online forex charts with controls that use flash, and they seem to work fine.

Is it maybe possible to get this baby running ??

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1591031

It installs in comp-mode but complains on start about uxtheme.dll.

Thx, MiKl

I think running MPC-BE could be as difficult as to run Opera 12.10+.

missing api's

[uxTheme.dll]

DrawThemeBackground=

CloseThemeData=

GetThemeSysColor=

IsThemeBackgroundPartiallyTransparent=

OpenThemeData=

DrawThemeText=

SetWindowTheme=

[sHELL32.dll]

SHParseDisplayName=

New VLC Player Rincewind works for me.

The compatibility mode must be set to WinXPSP2 for installation.

- msvcrt updated to msvcr70 (post 219)

Thank you, Schwups.

Unfortunately I have to admit that I never fully understood the procedure so I would like to ask what to do next.

I put the API's that you have found into kext, right ? But if it still does not work without any definitions ... ?

I tried to get VLC 2.1 running with msvcr70 and it indeed installs and starts but could not display any file - regardless of format.

Will test msvcr71 later today because it was recommended by Jumper earlier in this thread.

Maybe the internal codecs are now way to new for Win98 ?! The latest K-lite codec pack that can be installed is 7.1 which is now

more than two years old.

Thx, MiKl

Thank you, Schwups.

Unfortunately I have to admit that I never fully understood the procedure so I would like to ask what to do next.

I put the API's that you have found into kext, right ? But if it still does not work without any definitions ... ?

I tried to get VLC 2.1 running with msvcr70 and it indeed installs and starts but could not display any file - regardless of format.

Will test msvcr71 later today because it was recommended by Jumper earlier in this thread.

Maybe the internal codecs are now way to new for Win98 ?! The latest K-lite codec pack that can be installed is 7.1 which is now

more than two years old.

Thx, MiKl

Also my knowledge is very limited. Jumpers tools ImportPatcher and KTree are very helpful to find missing API's and dependencies. Note the Dependency Walker doesn't know something about KernelEX.

In the case of MPC-BE it will not be enough to add these API's to the Kstub.ini. It seems to be very complex. I believe there is a bunch of unmet dependencies, too. To make matters worse the Uxtheme.dll (KernelEX folder) is integrated into KernelEX.

In the case of SumatraPDF 2.3 it is easy to add "[DBGHELP.dll] SymFromAddr=" to the ini file (example only for WinME). SymFromAddr isn't called, so that you do not even need a stub for it.

VLC Player 2.1.0: It should run with "Default mode" (specific) or "use default comp options", if 2.0.8 works for you. Otherwise run the ImportPatcher (first click no) and look into the ini. Maybe there is a hint. Did you make a complete uninstall 2.0.8 (Settings and Cache)?

BTW it still looks good for Flash Player 11.9. The beta runs.

Edited by schwups