Net Time Corrupts DHCP

gadget

Hi,

Just noticed a problem here which possible has been happening since we first introduced WinPE 2.0. WinPE 1.6 and below does not have his error, I use WinPE all flavours here to deploy images onto systems.

One task is to set the system clock using net time /domain:****** /set /yes but this corrupts the Lease Obtained time to a point in the past post-11830-0-50106100-1340716921_thumb.j << see. Due to the qty of systems attaching, the lease time is eight hours. Under normal operation, the systems are complete and removed before the lease expires but some systems will remain connected and when the lease expires, it cannot obtain a new address and will drop off the network causing configuration issues. doing ipconfig /release and the /renew is hit and miss if it works. No errors on the dhcp server, and no requests sent from the client.

w32tm is not supported in pe nor is _local_time part of its wmi subset,,,

Anyone come across this at all...

I use a windows 2003 wds with legacy.

Tested:

net time \\server_name /set / yes

Windows 2000 domain

Windows 2008 domain

Logging on with domain credentials prior to running net time

pausing script after network initialisation then running net time

pausing all over the script after net time, including ip.../ /release /renew at varying pause times, sometimes the lease renews, most times it will not...

and on and on and on

Just noticed a problem here which possible has been happening since we first introduced WinPE 2.0. WinPE 1.6 and below does not have his error

There is a reason for this! Net /time is deprecated, which would explain why the old version still works. Looks like you need to the use Windows time service now.

But that is a great error! :wub:

Just noticed a problem here which possible has been happening since we first introduced WinPE 2.0. WinPE 1.6 and below does not have his error

There is a reason for this! Net /time is deprecated, which would explain why the old version still works. Looks like you need to the use Windows time service now.

But that is a great error! :wub:

It is a fab error, unfortunatly w32tm is not available (or am I missing something) in WinPE 2 and above..

It is a fab error, unfortunatly w32tm is not available (or am I missing something) in WinPE 2 and above..
BUT... it's in the OS "WINDOWS\SYSTEM32" folder (W32TM.EXE). Put it and all dependencies in your PE Build. Haven't tried it (this), but I have inserted EXPLORER in it before (and dependencies). Use Dependency Walker to find all dependent models. Put all of them (if they are not there) in SYSTEM32 of the PE. Should work...

Wasn't fixed, have worked someting out though:

On your freshly booted WinPE (I'm testing 3.1) do an ipconfig /all to check the lease obtained time then run time xx:xx where xx:xx hours and minutes is less than the lease obtained time... Do ipconfig /all and see the lease obtaied time.....

????????????????????

Tested on a win 7 box with an 8 hour lease and it done exactly the same thing....... Problem with this 1876 date is that the system cannot renew it's ip address when it expires.......

Edited by gadget