How to backup Genuine license of Windows 7 Home Premium

Hi guys,

I have Vaio laptop and it came with preinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium, now I wish to backup my genuine license of Windows 7 Home Premium so that I can use the same license if I wish to reinstall my OS. Actually I am now planning to download Home Premium SP1 from the MS site itself and then use my backuped license to activate my reinstalled Home Premium. When I bought my lappy it came with Windows 7 Home Premium SP0, so can I use the same bakuped license to active Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, downloaded from MS?

I just want to same some space by removing the recovery partition and at the same I wish to have a backup of my genuine license. Currently I am using Acronis True Image to backup the entire C drive but it also require hell lot of space, in my case it require something around 12-15 gb.

Please help me guys.

Cool, I now have a file called "pkeyconfig.xrm-ms" of some 800kb is it. Can you be so sure about this backup? I mean can I now download the Home Premium SP1 directly from MS site and install the OS then use that cmd to restore my activation without any problem?

Cool, I now have a file called "pkeyconfig.xrm-ms" of some 800kb is it. Can you be so sure about this backup? I mean can I now download the Home Premium SP1 directly from MS site and install the OS then use that cmd to restore my activation without any problem?

My "pkeyconfig.xrm-ms" on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit is 996Ko.

The files Tokens.dat and pkeyconfig.xrm-ms for Windows 7 SP0 and SP1 arent' the same!

Yes! You can use your saved files for Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, and install with MS Windows 7 Home Premium SP1!

I do like this for my personal use with Windows 7 Ultimate x86 SP1, but with a batch file.

Enjoy

Edited by myselfidem

? Isn't there a different one for OEM's? If it's an OEM install, you want a different file and the actual internal key, in which cas "backing up the tokens" is irrelevant... (that's as far as I go with that...)

My "pkeyconfig.xrm-ms" on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64-bit is 996Ko.

That's strange the file size is so big. :blink:

With OEM and a later model PC with Slic 2.1 bios then all is needed is the correct product key from installed OS

NOT the one on the bottom or back

Compare them and see if they are different

add to a file called DigitalProductId.vbs.

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

I think the reason it is so big is that this tool doesn't decrypt the data (which is good lol) and thus the file is bigger than the original. I just did it as a test (I was curious) but I wouldn't ever use a tool like this. :angel

Mine are also 996kb and that is not big these day's

yep we all test different things to gain knowledge.

You can mount the wim and replace those files with ones from system on non OEM or even OEM and proper key and it will auto activate. I have experimented and done that.

Remember with XP you couldn't call in but like 7 times I think it was. I buy OEM for that reason, Auto activation.

Thanks guys for all your help, but I have a question for all of you, I have updated my Home Premium from SP0 to SP1 does this update change the product key, as the product key I have on the back of my lappy is different from that of the installed OS? I have already validated from MS webiste and my OS is genuine. Is there any possibility of some error from Sony's side itself. I mean they might have pasted wrong sticker of product key on the back of my lappy.

I have accessed product key of my installed OS from This application and it is different from the one I have on the back of my laptop.

@ MaxXPSoft are you trying to say that the one on the back of the laptop is not the product key which is used for Activation?

Edited by nice_guy75

I think the reason it is so big is that this tool doesn't decrypt the data (which is good lol) and thus the file is bigger than the original. I just did it as a test (I was curious) but I wouldn't ever use a tool like this. :angel

Size does not depend on the tool. This is the original size for Windows 7 SP1!

Thanks guys for all your help, but I have a question for all of you, I have updated my Home Premium from SP0 to SP1 does this update change the product key, as the product key I have on the back of my lappy is different from that of the installed OS? I have already validated from MS webiste and my OS is genuine. Is there any possibility of some error from Sony's side itself. I mean they might have pasted wrong sticker of product key on the back of my lappy.

I have accessed product key of my installed OS from This application and it is different from the one I have on the back of my laptop.

@ MaxXPSoft are you trying to say that the one on the back of the laptop is not the product key which is used for Activation?

The Key on the back of you laptop is a OEM:COA (Certificate of Authentication) key are regular OEM keys that require activation, either by phone or online

the key used for your windows installation is a OEM:SLP key (System-Locked Pre-installation) These are the only keys that are able to bypass activation that is, perform offline activation without contacting Microsoft.

more info Here