Questions to XP diehards :)

xpclient

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 is based on XP.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsembedded/en-us/evaluate/windows-embedded-pos-ready-2009.aspx

Mainstream support until April 2014. Extended support until April 2019.

Ask again in 2015.

Are you stating that XP will supported until 2019?

The version 5 of the kernel NT will die in 2019. If the updates of Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 will be backported into the normal XP, we can have all the updates until that year.

Not being as pc literate as you are, what does "backported mean? And, would we be able to get them from ms update?

thanks!!

Backported means modifying the update so it works on a plain XP. I don't believe that will be necessary though as most of the updates that have been released are identical to both systems.

It remains to be seen how MS distributes or even if they will make the updated for POS.

• 2 months later...

Upon doing some research, l have found that MS will allow w 7 users to Downgrade to XP until 2020. Therefore, will that mean MS updates & at Least Security Updates will be available til 2020? or 2014 still? lf l have a technical issue w/my XP Pro After 2014, will MS still be able to remote fix my PC? (Once in a great while, l have issues)

THANKS!

Upon doing some research, l have found that MS will allow w 7 users to Downgrade to XP until 2020. Therefore, will that mean MS updates & at Least Security Updates will be available til 2020? or 2014 still? lf l have a technical issue w/my XP Pro After 2014, will MS still be able to remote fix my PC? (Once in a great while, l have issues)

THANKS!

Steve, you already posted this, and you already had answers to it here:

(just trying to keep things as together as possible)

jaclaz

So MSFNers, I am new here and this forum seems to "my idea" of what a decent online Windows community should be, where people can talk without insults and belittling. So as a Windows enthusiast, I have a few curious questions:

1. How many of you are XP diehards with no intention of moving to Windows 7/Vista?

2. Are you trying to move to Windows 7 but facing some migration issue or removed features? What are they or why haven't you moved to Windows 7?

3. What will be the fate of poor use XP diehards if MS never fixes those issues?

4. Even if you have migrated to Windows 7, do you miss something from XP or did you like XP more?

Some answers I would like to give to these question for myself:

1. XP was my idea of the perfect OS (well not the security before SP2 and UAC is certainly the right step) but otherwise it was really good. Since Longhorn betas, I am trying to move to Windows Vista/7 but was blocked by many issues..mainly removed features (which I'm sure you must have read now). I absolutely love and adore many features of Windows Vista/7 too, these are also great OSes. So my intention is to move to Windows 7 of course, I am not a luddite clinging on to obsolete stuff but I will FOREVER keep XP running natively on at least one PC but the superb backward compatibility for dozens of games and old apps it offers all the way back which a virtual machine can't do justice to.

2. After years of finding alternatives and making compromises, learning the new way of doing things and ignoring the minor issues, almost all of my issues with Vista/7 are gone except the auto sorting problem. (For numerous reasons, I won't use a third party file manager, there isn't one that I like) :(

3. Good news: XP x64 will get security patches till July 2015 because of Server 2003 codebase. Are you concerned like me about End of Life?

4. I will miss a few things of XP even if I move to W7 like service pack slipstreaming (what better fun place than MSFN to do all the unattended stuff) but Vista/7 have far better deployment tools, and the speed of servicing which was extremely fast. I will miss the surround sound support in old games (but Alchemy fixes some of them), I will miss XP Media Center whose UI I find very much better etc.

You need not answer all four questions. :) I just want to know how many MSFNers still like Windows XP without me getting strange looks.

I will stick with XP. It is an excellent product.

There is nothing that I need in later versions of Windows.

I use Windows 7 on occasion on another computer and like that it handles badly written programs better with more information given.

There is a tendency for choices to be taken away from users who move to a newer O.'S.

I program in assembly and can still run 16 bit programs just fine in addition to the 32 bit ones I write.

I follow safe computing practices and have never gotten a virus or trojan.

Both Windows 7 and Vista have a least one security flaw.

This flaw has been in existence since XP came out.

Have a great day,

Andy