Questions to XP diehards :)

xpclient

Hello XP individuals!

Though I am resident at the Win 9x areas of this excellent place, I do have and use XP on some of my computers, and enjoy them to the hilt.

Not nearly so much as my beloved 98e! .... 95, and even Me....

but certainly enough to regard XP as a most useful and excellent system.

I do not care one iota about support ending for any of the "legacy" operating systems I "WILL" to use.

Security is not a problem, being that I am secure in the knowledge of how to be reasonably secure. Even if a virus screwed one of my machines over big time....I fret not.....

for I backup everything quite frequently, and most of all, thoroughly ENJOY installing OS systems! Its no thing to dread for me, for I never grow weary of going through the entire install/reinstall process.

Using fdisk, floppies and popping in that install CD....is one very enjoyable experience for me! In the beginning, when I was a neophyte to the PC...such things where problems; now that I know how easy it all is....I relish the experience.

Where there is a Will there is a way. If one gives into fear about all the things people espouse in their attempts to sway one from using the OS you enjoy, and choose to use, then there is no thing you can really do then....other than exhibit a great lack of resolve.

As I've said many a time, the only thing that continues to "worry" me, is eventual lack of IPV6 support in my 9x systems; and yes, even in the XP ones...though not nearly so much.

Even then...should such problems arise...I shall not be dissuaded from using the Operating Systems I choose and WILL to use!

All such problems will be tackled, solved, and surmounted in my continued use of computers.

I made the upgrade, from Windows 98 to XP about 12 years ago, skipping Windows ME all together.

When Vista came out, I tested it and determined It was not for me.

Likewise when Win-7 came out, it too went seriously wanting. It won't run the programs that I use every day.

Now I'm testing Windows 8, both 32 bit on a laptop and 64 bit on a desktop.

Again, I find it seriously lacking.

So it looks like XP-Pro-SP3 will continue to be my OS of choice till they drop me in a hole and kick dirt in on top of me.

Long Live XP Fanatics!

B)

I remember changing to XP when trying to capture some video with Windows 2000 and having performance problems, somebody on mirc recommended me XP, and it was like night and day. The problem with microsoft and all their versions after XP is they lost their focal point, they went from a well balanced looks plus efficiency, to just looks and bloat, (cutting some options on the way).

It started from the first screenshot I saw ("jeeeez looks like playskool crap") and it got worse when I saw the move/copy dialog, the "bread crumbs", the removal of the inverse selection, the winsxs folder getting bigger, all the crazyness with permissions, the tree list bug, the ribbon interface, etc.

The only thing I miss from 7 is DX11, nothing else, but as I don't game with computers I'm fine. Also I would like a better file copier for XP or explorer in general.

I guess I will move from XP when I start to miss drivers for my devices or lack of support for certain hardware features. Most probably to Ubuntu, hopefully very late in time.

I would like a better file copier for XP or explorer in general.

Here's a better one: http://jstanley.ping...com/pscopy.html

BaSVo.png

Doesn't prompt if you don't want it to, and can queue copy operations (start another only after one has finished). And skips all errors upon copy and continues copying and prompts only for files with errors at the end.And works for delete too. Continues deleting files which don't give errors and prompts at the end only for files in use which may have caused errors. IMO, a first class copier and the UI is the native Windows one, there are TeraCopy etc but I can't stand their UI being someone who obssesses with UI and User experience. :}

Edited by xpclient

let's check that, looks promising.

I tested like a dozen of them and each had something I didn't like, as for Teracopy it had issues on my system, check this video. Lately I had been keeping an eye to UltraCopier, kind of a mix between Teracopy and supercopier.

I don't want to turn this into an app discussion but as a give back, I recommend Everything as a file searcher.

XP is far from perfect, but in my opinion is the best, add some useful applications like these and it gives me perfection placebo.

As we are talking about applications in my opinion this is one of the most useful ones:

Taskbar Shuffle

As its name says it allows you to change the order of taskbar and tray icons... but this is only one of its features. The other one is the ability to close applications by using middle-click on taskbar. I find it extremely comfortable and couldn't really use Windows without it anymore.

Ah, taskbar shuffle! Yes it's in my must-use essential list of apps for XP.

I have a question for tomasz86 to which I never found a satisfactory answer whenever I have asked it. If the scroll wheel takes the place of the middle click (and even though you can click the scroll wheel), how do you find it comfortable enough? I own a high end mouse but find it far too uncomfortable to click the scroll wheel to middle click. Get what I mean? Maybe I am using the wrong "high end" mouse. :)

@Dogway, I couldn't say :PerigeeCopy is perfect. It does have a number of limitations like it doens't highlight the files it copied like Windows' native copy does, it shows speeds only in KB/s and many such others. But it gets the job done for me better. I have done extremely long backups with it too and found them all completed in the morning after leaving them overnight.

Edited by xpclient

I got used to middle click with Firefox (open in new tab). I used to hate it because it took more pressure to click. I have a Logitech G9x.

after I upgraded PC specs, I had problems with XP, but I was a die hard user of XP

made my custom installs exact the way I wanted

with 7 I couldn't do so much except making it little lighter

but overall 7 aint that bad if you remove some things like IE, WMP, .net 3.5 (too bad 2 cant be removed), useless indexing service, tweak WinSxS to minimum

but on piece of crap like vista and 8 i wouldn't go dead

Edited by vinifera

Well PerigeeCopy, I just tested for a day. I don't like it. Besides the highlight thing you name, there a few more, the most important for me is its inhability to undo. Also it shows the dialog even for small files, and overall initialization feels slow, a bit like what happened with Teracopy. I'm back to default XP's, it's not that horrible...

I use taskbar shuffle, but I think I should turn it off as Im already using 7plus, it's an Autohotkey based utility pack. I almost disable all the scripts in the application, but leave a handful bunch. MMB for closing windows on taskbar or title bar, wheel mouse on taskbar for volume, Double click on taskbar for task manager, RMB on title bar for always on top, MMB when file selected for file(s) properties, etc It's a new experience, I also use a useful script for the file renaming feature of 7.

On Firefox I always use MMB for opening links and close tabs, now I don't know if that's a built in feature.

Right tool for the right job.

I have an old screwdriver that works. Last year I was given a shiny new screwdriver with a pretty finish. The new screwdriver has batteries to power a light. It has a ratchet assembly with a 5 position switch. It even has rubber thingys on the handle to make sure uneducated users can use it without causing harm.

It's big, It's awkward and it slows me down because too many adjustments have to be made before I can get to that task of removing a screw.

I'll stick to my old screwdriver.