XP is 2000 plus the fancy theme? You're wrong

xpclient

So every once in a while I still read somewhere that Windows XP was a warmed up Windows 2000, which is incorrect. In fact, XP deserves a major version number increment. I want to dispel the myth and change the perception of those who think XP was a "minor" release just because the kernel version number was incremented from 5.0 to 5.1. XP was a major release. I wrote this article on Wikipedia: Features new to Windows XP to prove it (and show off a bit as well) :w00t: B)

But isn't XP just an updated Windows 2000? :P

Of course a lot of nice features were added but there are also many useless ones.

But I love all of Windows XP's features! :w00t:

And jalapeño, xpclient. That's a bigger list than Windows 7's!

Edited by UltimateSilence

Those two annoyances can be easily disabled with registry tweaks. :)

HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant","SocialUI",0x10001,0
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Search Assistant","UseAdvancedSearchAlways",0x10001,1
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Tour","RunCount",0x10001,0

Yes I certainly don't use that search UI with Agent (Dog, Earl, Courtney etc) but the Windows 2000 UI you can easily get with a registry tweak or TweakUI. :D But they also improved that in XP: the path field accepts environment variables and there is an option to search system and/or hidden files.

0Stdz.png

I also love the background music of the "tour". It was composed by Bill Brown. Listen to just the music minus the voice in

Edited by xpclient

Do you have a link to the XP Windows Welcome music? Microsoft made the mistake of not including it in XPx64.

The search companion has a couple of fans (though I am not one of them)... It's not difficult to turn off. It's nice knowing that it's there in the unlikely event that one prefers it.

And the Tour is nice, IMHO. :ph34r:

Edited by UltimateSilence

You mean this one?:

That's the one. :)

In XPx86 it's located at "%SystemRoot%\system32\oobe\images\title.wma".

That is the main reason I haven't switched over to Win7, allen2 :) I know third-party tools exist; I just really like XP's built-in search assistant best.

Windows Search 4.0 is entirely too bulky. I kill the prompts to install it from Microsoft Update and IE8 with the following tweaks.

HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search","CurrentVersion",,"04.00.6001.503"
HKLM,"SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Search","SetupCompletedSuccessfully",0x10001,1
HKCU,"Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\WindowsSearch","ShowPrompt",0x10001,0

Edited by 5eraph

Yes I certainly don't use that search UI with Agent (Dog, Earl, Courtney etc) but the Windows 2000 UI you can easily get with a registry tweak or TweakUI. :D But they also improved that in XP: the path field accepts environment variables and there is an option to search system and/or hidden files.

Never liked that lightweight Search in WinXP either. It is too amateurish HTML Active Desktop -like in appearance and the search results (with or without dog) are incomplete. I always preferred the Visual Basic designed form dialogs with 98se being the last good one. At least it is a brute force "find everything" kind of search.

Has anyone tried out Nir Sofer's nice little app? It works on everything in the NT Family ... SearchMyFiles

It is an EXE, just put a shortcut anywhere (Start Menu, Context Menu, etc) and it's definitely old school ...

searchmyfiles.gif