Windows Update Agent - Which version do you have?

OK. So I don't need to worry about anything then it appears.

I know there has been issues with WU after XP went EOL. I would get a fancy 404 page when trying to use WU that necessitated the use of MU but that appears to be fixed now. I presume it was just someone at MS being a child again and then a grown up stepped in and fixed it.

Yes and yes (if there were two items).

My "raw" test indicates that there needs to be no change *under current conditions* except for that dang MUWEB.DLL.

However, after "Stepping up" and failing/exiting IE, performing *downlevel" replace, and going back I found I had to clear the IE cache of extraneous "junk" (it "blew up" with "Not Found" screen), going back to WU then though "Step up" (which installed nothing), then all was "well".

It *really* does appear that they want to "kill" Support for not-XP SW on XP (e.g. Office). Remember that little blurb about supporting the OS but *not* anything else (can't remember OH the post and link)? Still, WTH did they "kill" 2K3 and POSReady? :crazy:

I'll *test* a clean (raw) XP plus the "official" package just for grins, but as I said the only (significanrt) difference I seen was the SETUP and the INF/CAT. *Surely* that doesn't have to do with anything...

Again - that is all (for now)...

==EDIT==

May be a moot point, other than getting the *official* package (containing *only* v256). See this:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/173049-windowsmicrosoft-update-not-working-on-windows-2000xp2003/#entry1089710

Edited by submix8c

• Tarun unpinned this topic