Windows Update Agent - Which version do you have?

Oh yeah. My bad. It adds them to system32\SoftwareDistribution. Didn't notice that before. I run the installer in Sandboxie and see what files it adds and confused the 2 SoftwareDistribution folders.

Edited by -X-

Looks like it's starting to come through. It's kind of hit or miss for some reason. I first cancelled it on my real machine and I can't get it to offer it again but one of my VMs it came through. My W7 VM didn't come through.

Can anyone who hasn't manually installed it or forced it check WU and see if it comes through? I'm mostly interested in XP.

Windows Update Agent v256 (x86) Download and Build...

This CMD file (almost) replicates ricktendo64's package. The main difference is that this one uses the Original v243's SFX and the files in the CABS will be in a different order. Open/Edit the CMD and browse around inside. Yes, it takes a couple of minutes to run since it downloads individual files and manipulates them.

:: Method of BAT/CMD courtesy of -X- (http://xdot.tk/updates.html)

:: WUA files info courtesy of ricktendo64 and 5eraph

:: SFX and XVI32 info courtesy of WildBill

:: PARTCOPY info courtesy of jaclaz and dencorso

:: The following Programs are necessary:

:: WGET.EXE:

:: MUST MANUALLY DOWNLOAD AND PUT IN FOLDER!

:: http://users.ugent.be/~bpuype/wget/wget.exe (Windows v1.11.4 - direct link)

:: 7ZA.EXE:

: MUST MANUALLY DOWNLOAD AND PUT IN FOLDER!

:: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sevenzip/7za920.zip (Redirected to download)

:: Note: there are direct links, but we use OFFICIAL download..

:: CABARC.EXE:

:: Downloaded from MS (2K3SP2 SUPPORT.CAB)

:: The EXE is extracted ONCE and SUPPORT.CAB is Deleted.

:: Syntax: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728406(v=ws.10)

:: PARTCOPY.EXE:

:: SEE ORIGINAL DOWNLOAD LINK (MAY FAIL due to WebArchive - Alternate found)

: The Package is Downloaded ONCE and EXE Extracted

:: XVI32.EXE:

:: The Package is Downloaded ONCE and EXE Extracted

See attached...

edit - Link deleted - See Post#67...

Edited by submix8c

:: SFX and XVI32 info courtesy of WildBill

Just one note - the instructions about packing to SFXCAB posted by WildBill originally come from this topic:

By the way, it's a very nice script :thumbup but I think you forgot to enable "@ECHO OFF" :angel

and:

R6CYh.png

and the URL for pcopy02.zip seems to be (temporary?) dead. I found this alternative one:

http://geezer.osdevbrasil.net/johnfine/pcopy02.zip

Edited by tomasz86

Great work, submix8c! You do rock! :thumbup

PS: The correct link for 7za is the following, please do correct it in WUAv256.cmd

http://sourceforge.net/projects/sevenzip/files/7-Zip/9.20/7za920.zip/download

1 - CMD file corrected as per "!!!" boo-boo (should have had ":: " in front of). There are a number of notes...

2 - Additional link added for "pcopy02.zip". That was the reason for NOT deleting that (and another) ZIP file...

3 - The link I gave to 7-zip was directly from this... As noted it "redirects" in EITHER case.

I just used said link again and it auto-"passes" to your link.

4 - -X- apparently had a problem with it "working" (unsure why) so I just re-tested as both CMD and BAT - works the same in both cases.

Please note -

1 - Download/Unzip the CMD to a folder

2 - Download/Unzip 7ZA.EXE from 7za920.zip (use links given - wherever...) to the same folder

3 - Download WGET.EXE (this AFAIK is the only/LATEST Windows version) to the same folder

4 - Run it...

--- additional notes

a - You MIGHT want to manually download "pcopy02.zip" from any of the THREE links given inside CMD, as I already noted there that the Original Web Archive occasionally FAILS, and (apparently) so does the other one I used. This is the reason I DO NOT DELETE the ZIP file.

b - You MIGHT want to do the same with the "XVI32.ZIP" just in case there is a problem with getting it... Same reason for NOT deleting THAT "ZIP" file.

c - other files we HOPE will always be available as they come from MS Servers.

-------

Feel free to alter the CMD for said potential Failures (IF EXIST=NO then Try Next WGET Link). Everything you need to know is in the Comments. One might consider this a Collaborative Effort - I just created the CMD file (after trial-and-error "been a while")... As noted, THEORETICALLY the FOUR files (7ZA.EXE, WGET.EXE, PARTCOPY.EXE, XVI32.EXE) could be included in the "Package" - I left that up to the End User (attached ZIP is smaller)...

-------

edit - and apologies for getting SUPPORT.CAB to obtain CABARC.EXE - the reason for using it instead is noted inside the CMD...

edit2 - ARG!!! The following line

ECHO REM change x20 to x60 for wusetup.exe>"%~dp0WUCAB.XSC"

Is also a boo-boo... REMOVE the "ECHO"!!! (or just ignore it...)

-------

Corrected CMD attached here...

Corrected CORRECTED (Important! see below comments) attached here...

WUAv256.zip

Edited by submix8c

I just got done figuring out why it wouldn't work for me. The 8.3 filenames. I had them turned off in NTFS is what I figured but I turned them on and rebooted and it still failed. Partcopy wasn't making the WUSFX.SFX. I just rename WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe to WUA.exe and it works. Others might have the same problem so I think it's the best way to go.

7za.exe and wget.exe are GNU so they can be freely redistributed. ;)

Edited by -X-

OUCH!!!! Just tried on an NTFS Partition... That's the problem (NO "short names")!!! Will correct above attachment and re-upload...

edit - How Odd!!! I was wrong! I put a PAUSE immediately after "split" and the SFX is there!

Are you by chance running it from CMD-prompt or renamed it to BAT? I double-click it. Works on both FAT32 and NTFS (with blank in folder name)...

edit2 - Nope... I am SOOO confused - on NTFS Partition, named BAT I get THIS -

Extracting WUSFX.SFX... (for later "join")
U:\!! TEST>partcopy Window~1.exe 0 8A00 WUSFX.SFX
U:\!!TEST~1>pause.

Same result as CMD...

edit3 -

PARTCOPY.EXE (wayback)

The following software is distributed as "zero price shareware". You don't need to send any money to register and use this software; However, EMAIL registration (to johnfine@erols.com) is REQUIRED to continue to use it after a reasonable evaluation period.

I provide NO WARRANTY that this software is suitable or safe for any purpose. Use it entirely at your own risk. If you do not accept these conditions, then you have no permission to download, evaluate, or use this software.

Good luck with that (2001, program is 1999)!

XVI32.EXE (link)

XVI32 is a freeware hex editor running under Windows 9x/NT/2000/XP/Vista/7.
Before downloading XVI32, you have to accept my license and disclaimer agreement.
Edited by submix8c

It works here on an NTFS partition and I didn't mess around with the 8.3 filename support. Are short names turned off in XP by default??

Edited by tomasz86

You have to turn it off.

EDIT: @submix8c, no I am not renaming .cmd to .bat. The only difference between the two is something to do with errorlevel.

Edited by -X-

I'm not really sure why turning it back "on" didn't work...

http://donal-rogers.blogspot.com/2011/11/ntfs-longshort-file-names.html

Basically, this is the reason I said this must be done StandAlone in its own folder (guess PARTCOPY needs to be checked - DOS-mode 16-bit? If so, this MIGHT be a problem on Vista/7/2K8). To put it in your script it must be done FIRST to prevent "collisions" in the remainder.

MS - Disable the Option.

Nonetheless, I will change the CMD to rename the download to WUAEXE.EXE (naming consistency).

edit -

BUGGERS!!! Blanks in names cause problems using...

for %%F in ("%~dp0*.cab") do 7za x %%F -o"%~dp0WUCAB" * -r -y

Changed to ...

for %%F in ("%~dp0*.cab") do 7za x "%%F" -o"%~dp0WUCAB" * -r -y

!!! The rationale (correct or not) for using the DP0 variable was to ensure Full Path consistency.

edit2 - 16-bit (source)

The 32-bit Vista (and Windows 7) version will run most 16-bit applications in compatibility mode, but there's no guarantee. The 64-bit version will not run 16-bit applications (it lacks a 16-bit subsystem).
Kind of presents a problem for these OS's (especially since downloading PARTCOPY on-the-fly)...

Workaround

...XP Mode...
(DUH!!!!)

edit2a - found split32. also has a license agreement. a tip for iterations.

edit2b - swissfileknfe (sourceforge)

Will re-upload shortly... Fixed! See previous attachment...

Edited by submix8c

I'm seeing a lot of 404's for the language specific files.

EDIT: Also, WUA not made. Don't feel like messing with now to see why.

These are the last lines in the command window....

-- adding WUCAB\sv\wusetup.exe.mui
-- adding WUCAB\tr\eula.rtf
-- adding WUCAB\tr\msxml3r.dll
-- adding WUCAB\tr\wuau.adm
-- adding WUCAB\tr\wusetup.exe.mui
-- adding WUCAB\zhcn\eula.rtf
-- adding WUCAB\zhcn\msxml3r.dll
-- adding WUCAB\zhcn\wuau.adm
-- adding WUCAB\zhcn\wusetup.exe.mui
-- adding WUCAB\zhtw\eula.rtf
-- adding WUCAB\zhtw\msxml3r.dll
-- adding WUCAB\zhtw\wuau.adm
-- adding WUCAB\zhtw\wusetup.exe.mui

Completed successfully
HexEdit the CAB to run WUSETUP.EXE

Making new WU.EXE...

The system cannot find the file specified.
Could Not Find D:\(System)\Desktop\WUAv256(2)\WUSFX.SFX

Press any key to exit.

This is with the new attachment.

Edited by -X-

I'm seeing a lot of 404's for the language specific files.
Uh-oh!!! MS caught on? I seen several "guests" logged in for a while. Maybe one of our new members (MS "reps") reported it. OR... it's an "occasional" thing?

I just reran it (12:51 EDT) preceding the "reupload" and it worked fine?

edit - "Could not find..." has to do with UNDEPENDABLE download of PARTCOPY (it creates it)!!!

??? Just reran it (using your folder names) - appears that one did NOT download!

wuapi_fr.cab??? (compared the "built" to ricktendo64's)

AND... it's now there (manually in browser)??? WHAT is going on???

Hmm... limit the number of file/folder accesses ?

:whistle: 7 guests are viewing this!!! :hello:

Has a EULA been broken? The Downloads are directly from MS... :unsure:

AND... the CARBARC is from a CAB that does NOT require "Genuine Check". I specifically looked for one...

Odd - the OTHER WUA packages are "free to download" as well... Is this a "You distributed WSUS info" thing? (paranoia is striking...) This is the EXACT SAME SERVER that they all come from too...

Edited by submix8c

I don't think there's any problem. M$ servers are just not 100% reliable. Maybe you should set the script to do a loop until the file is downloaded?

I'm thinking about something like this:

:WUA
ECHO Downloading Windows Update Agent 7.6.7600.243...
wget -nc http://download.windowsupdate.com/WindowsUpdate/redist/standalone/7.4.7600.243/WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe
IF NOT EXIST WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe GOTO :WUA

It won't go further until the file is present in the directory.

Edited by tomasz86