IBM T-42 Audio Not Working

MrIBM98

Hi, This is my first time posting on MSFN. I have found it extremely helpful with all of my Windows 98SE Persuits.

I just recently bought an IBM Thinkpad T-42 with 1024MB of RAM, a 120GB Hard Disk and a Pentium M 1700MHz processor.

I Installed Windows 98SE and are planning to use this Laptop to do work on and play DOS and classic Windows Games on.

The soundcard in question is a Sound MAX Integrated Digital Audio internal sound card.

There is no native support for this right off the disk so there was no sound when Windows was loaded, It dosn't even show up in the hardware manager.

I got all the drivers from Lenovo's website And when I installed the Audio driver, after the extraction and reboot, it wanted the Windows 98SE CD for some files but it could'nt find them on the disk.

Files like ksclockf.ax which I know are in the \Win98 directory in the Driver11.cab file.

But it also asked for files like Aeaudio.sys and Migrate.dll and smwdm.dll and similar files Which are'nt on the Windows 98 install disk.

If I don't install these files and just install the driver, The card regesters in Hardware manager as needing to update the driver ( Even though there is allready the latest one installed) If I install the files that are on the Windows 98 CD, it will ask for a reboot and when it does, it says it is working properly, when that is not the case. There isin't even a volume control speaker icon in the taskbar to adjust the volume And it also states under multimedia in control pannel that there is no plaback device.

Any help would be highly appreciated, and if I need to provide more info on something please let me know.

Thanks,

Max

Clean install

1. Start Windows 98.

2. Extract this package onto the hard disk drive.

3. Click Start and then click Run.

4. Type C:\DRIVERS\WIN\AUDIO\SETUP.EXE in the Open box and click OK.

5. Follow the instructions on the screen.

6. Click Finish and reboot the system when prompt in order to complete the installation.

This is the instructions for Win98 Package. The same applies to the OTHER package.

The first "set" of "missing" modules you should have been able to "point to".

The second "set" of "missing" modules should be in folder "1ga241ww\SMAXWDM\SE" and should also be able to "point to".

Any other files installed from the "package" will be (e.g.) a "SoundMax Control Panel".

BTW, when you FIRST installed there should have been some kind of "unknown device" listed at least...

Thank you very much, The audio is working now.

But I can't get the Wirless Network or Eithernet Adapters to work, There are 2 PCI eithernet adaptors and 1 Unknown device ( I think that this is the Wirless adaptor) That all say they need drivers.

I Installed the drivers for both and after extracting and running the setups nothing happens. This time after the reboot, it dos'nt ask for any files, and nothing changes in the device manager. The computer cant find anything when I use the Update Driver.

I know that they must be Mini PCI Cards, But I don't know what type of cards they are or if they need any other drivers or software.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Max

I know that they must be Mini PCI Cards, But I don't know what type of cards they are or if they need any other drivers or software.

Try a hardware detection/analysis tool - it should be able to talk to PCI bus devices and determine what they are:

Something that might help you if you can at least get a version of Windows on the laptop is use Everest Home Edition, it's almost certain you'll find the names of the drivers you're looking for and sometimes provides you with links to the hardware manufacturer.

Well, I installed Everest Home Edition and it did tell me that my wireless adaptor is an Athros 5211 802.11 a/b/g adaptor and I beleve that the divice manager is identifing this as a PCI Eithernet Controller. There was another PCI eithernet controller that was there, but it was the wired eithernet connnection which I managed to get working I can use the eithernet toacess the internet now.

There are 3 unknown dvices in the in the system according to device manager and after looking at the regestry I figured out that 1 of these was ATI display hardware (but the display is working fine) and another one is a cardbus controller (that was set up when windows was installed) And the other one is a PCI eithernet controller (I beleve that this is the wirless adaptor).

I cant seem to find a driver that this will work with though, any .INF files I find on the internet that I try to install with device manager will say that windows was unable to find a driver for this device.

Does anyone know where I could find a driver for this adaptor, and is there any special software I will need to get windows to recognise a wirless connection?

Thank you for any advice you can give me reguarding this.

Thanks,

Max

:blink:

Have you been installing ALL of your drivers?

http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/detail.page?LegacyDocID=MIGR-55386

It has the CardBus Controller listed.

T42 has subseries - what is yours?

Atheros 5211 is made under multiple vendors/subtypes. I have found a "supposed" driver for it but can't confirm it's the right one.

ATI Driver might be fine (but kinda doubt it).

Now... in Everest there should be a "Devices" tree on the left, and underneath that "PCI Devices". Print the Report of that ONLY, zip/rar/7zip/cab (whatever) it and attach it so we can get to the bottom of the SPECIFIC devices you're missing drivers for (after Cardbus, only the two?).

Oops, I must have missed that one. I installed the Cardbus driver and, replacing the existing generic Cardbus controllers it worked with no problems.

(the cardbus controllers were already installed under generic drivers so I don't believe that they were in the other devices category in device manager)

According to CPU-Z The computer is a IBM T-42 2373-6ZU

The 3 devices in the other devices are a PCI Card, PCI Eithernet Controller (I believe this to be the wireless network adapter) and an unknown device.

Both the device manager and everest report the display hardware as an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500. The device manager reports that the drivers installed for it are from ATI (but that doesn't mean that they are the right ones) and that the device is working properly. I did download these drivers from the Lenovo website.

Both the unknown device and the PCI Card that say they are missing drivers don't respond to either the Cardbus or display drivers so there are still 3 devices missing drivers according to device manager.

I also checked in CPU-Z and discovered that the rated FSB is 399.7MHz, but but the bus speed is 99.9. The RAM in the system is clocked at 166.5MHz, if I was to replace the existing RAM with 400MHz DDR would the would the bus speed rise to its rated speed?

Here is the everest report file of the PCI Devices.

Report.zip

Thanks,

Max

Edited by MrIBM98

OOOO-TAY! Spanky!!! You need to go to the link I gave and RE-CHOOSE for your SPECIFIC model - the Atheros Driver is THERE! As well as the ATI, and PROBABLY the "Unknown" (and probably a few other items).

The 3 devices in the other devices are a PCI Card, PCI Eithernet Controller (I believe this to be the wireless network adapter) and an unknown device.
Both the unknown device and the PCI Card that say they are missing drivers don't respond to either the Cardbus or display drivers so there are still 3 devices missing drivers according to device manager.

I'm betting you went for the "Generic T42". When you go to the link I provide, on the LEFT side, select "Drivers And Software", enter "T42" (NOT "T-42"), then select you MODEL number "2373" in the list below. VOILA! Everything is there.

BTW, there's no indication of which one is "unknown" in your Report. Go get ALL of your Drivers, Software, etc for Win 98 (might I suggest you get ALL OS and download to an independent folder for each in case you Upgrade) and attempt to Install anything you did NOT install. ("Windows Updates" listed at the bottom are more than likely irrelevant...)

Edited by submix8c

Ok I went to the specific model number and downloaded the driver and ran the setup. It identified the PCI Eithernet controller as a 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI adapter in device driver and when I went to update the driver it found something named Athros.inf and I installed it. It said it was missing some files and I found them in the Windows 98 CD and I reset the computer.

There is now something in the taskbar that gives me an option to enable the wireless radio, but it is unclickable and device manager reports that the device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed (Code 10)

When I try to turn on the wireless radio via the function-F5 it tries to install a Composite USB devise and I don't know what that means.

I think that it is closer to working than before.

Thanks,

Max

Errr... then you must have installed the Intel Wireless as well???

http://www.mydigitallife.info/fix-thinkpad-wireless-adapter-radio-turns-off-randomly-issue/

More info -

http://ccit.college.columbia.edu/knowledgebase/article/how-manage-wireless-lenovo-laptops.php

Also, for the Install, I must assume you read this first -

Installation instructions for Windows 98SE

1. Windows Management Instrumentation (WMI) is prerequisite. If your computer do not have WMI installed, go to Microsoft's web site and down load the latest WMI and install it first.

2. Run Setup.exe and follow the instructions.

You really need to check out the ReadMe's and Instructions.

BTW, you DID install All of the other Drivers as well?

Chipset (etc)? Chipset has Core, IDE, and USB Drivers.

Edited by submix8c

It seems that the OP needs to be told exactly which things to install and in what order including what prerequisites. And when you tell him to install all the drivers, apparently you need to say "YES, I MEAN INSTALL EVERY FREAKING DRIVER IN XXX FOLDER WHETHER YOU THINK YOU NEED IT OR NOT!", if that is the case. :) LOL Also, sometimes it's best to go to the PC manufacturer's web site (IBM/Lenovo) for drivers, and sometimes it's better to go to the chip manufacturer's web site (ATI). Unfortunately, it depends. YMMV

Cheers and Regards

Edited by bphlpt

Ok I went ahead and reinstalled Windows so I could document everything. I went and downloaded every last thing for the computer that was on Lenovo's website that worked with Windows 98. I read the readme for the wireless driver and it said I needed WMI on the machine before I installed the driver.

When I went to Microsoft's website it told me that it was on the windows 98 CD and it was called Web-Based Enterprise Management so I installed that under add/remove programs.

Next the readme told me to run setup and follow the instructions but setup then told me it was unable to launch something called wmidetect.exe that was created in a folder called {9fac9e5c-od20-4dbf-afe5-2e09c52a95a2} in the temp folder. I went to the path where it said it was and When I went to launch wmidetect.exe it said that mscvp60.dll was not found. I know that this file should be in the System32 folder but I don't see it, but I haven't been able to see any .dll or.sys files anywhere for some reason but I know they must be there I just can't explain why I can't find them in explorer.

This error happened when I first tried to install the driver but I didnt note it and I could'nt reproduce it when I reinstalled the program.

I have not encountered similar errors when installing any other drivers.

P.S. That composite USB device turned out to be the Bluetooth adaptor.

P.P.S. Thanks to everyone who has helped me out so far, it has been very helpful sence I haven't ever installed Windows 98 on a system that needed so many drivers installed afterward.

Thanks,

Max

Ok I installed the .DLL dile and I didn't get the error this time and the software installed. I went into the device manager and tried to install the driver, it asked for some files and I specified the location and it found the .inf file but when I clicked next it told me that windows was unable to install the 11 b/g wireless adaptor and the next screen tells me that the device installation encountered errors and a code 1F6.

However when I go to device manager it says that it is working properly, however it can't point me to any driver files in the driver tab. I also can't enable the wireless radio in the wireless client utitlty.

I am having "stupid" suggestion.....

Try to install audio drivers for Intel 845 chipset.

Why ?

Because if I do not make mistake thinkpad t 42 is created around that chipset !?

Thank you for the suggestion, but I installed the chipset drivers, and that will not enable the audio in and of itself, I had to install the audio drivers to get the audio to work.

Thanks,

Max