Prevent Language Packs From Showing Up In Windows Update?

Hey guys. I'm having a bear of a time finding any information on this particular issue, given the nature of it.

My issue is simple: on a fresh install of the Windows 7 I am building, I always get 34 language packs offered to me as Optional Updates. My goals with this install are to make something as small and automated as possible, and I'll be doing this as an US - English only install, so I don't want or need these packs.

What is the correct way to signify to Windows Update to not offer these to me?

When Googling and forum searching, I get tons of helpful results... for integrating language packs. I can't find anything on preventing them from being offered.

I'm working from the Windows 7 x64 SP1U MSDN source.

Is this as dumb as setting up my AutoUnattended.xml with the right locale settings, or what?

I'm working from the Windows 7 x64 SP1U MSDN source.

I can't find anything on MSDN referred to SP1U.

The only thing I can think of is if your DVD was originally a Windows 7 en-US source with something other than a Wave-0 SP1 applied to it.

Digital River - a Wave1 "Refresh".

Microsoft released updated media refresh images in May 2011. They have the post SP1 hotfix KB2534111 integrated as well. The original versions of the SP1 integrated DVDs don't allow any non ASCII characters when assigning the computer name, which has been fixed with this update.

or...

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Windows-7-SP1-RTM-Release-Notes-186308.shtml

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Get-Windows-7-SP1-RTM-Free-from-Microsoft-200160.shtml

MSDN and TechNet subscribers get all the Windows 7 SP1 RTM releases as slipstreamed ISO images included in their subscription.
Still, there MUST be a Wave1 Refresh. :unsure:

One might assume that the source is DigitalRiver?

I use the DigitalRiver source and I also always have to hide all the optional language updates from showing up in WU. It's no big deal but a pain I wish I didn't have to do every time. To modify the OP's question a little bit and generalize it, isn't there some way to set up the unattended install so that you can "inoculate" the install so that you can "pre-hide" any updates that you know in advance that you want to hide so that you will not be bothered by them? There might not be a way, but I sure wish there was.

Cheers and Regards

I'm working on finishing up my installer, and part of the plan is to re-capture the cleaned up state to a new WIM file. I'll post here if hiding those packs is saved during the process (one can hope :P)

Well, well, how disappointing. The hidden updates are not captured with SysPrep, even when I did a CopyProfile from the Administrator account I set up.

That's somewhat disappointing, but oh well. It might be do-able view a registry capture of some sort.

It's a low priority for me, since I evidently cut too deep in RT7Lite and broke some stuff in my current Windows install.

Will post about it once I have a working method...

• 2 weeks later...

The hidden updates and the updates that are installed on the reference computer can be found in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore

The file u want in your new image on the same location is: datastore.edb.

Edited by The Glimmerman