Windows Wont Boot Please Help!

Bckingofkings

Hey Guys, Been At It For 3 Nights In A Row Now. I Accidently Wiped My Sata Driver. Its Stats Are:

Model : HTS541680J9SA00

5400rmp

Sata

Global... 5v 700mA 80gb.

Its Out Of A Asus f5r Laptop That Was Running On Vista Basic.

Ok So Heres What Happened. Some Update Came Through, Battery Died And Then Wouldnt Get Past A Screen Stating:

Reboot and Select Proper Boot device

or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and Press a key,

So That F$#% Me Off And Ive Change Boot Priority And All That. Thing Still Wont Budge. So I Borrowed A Friends Laptop, Identical But Running Windows xp Home Edition And Swapped The Drives Over, My Computor Boots Up Fine With All Their Details Of Course And Theirs Comes Up With Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device Blahdabladahblah. Tried Vista Cd $40 bux Later, Didnt Work, Tried Windows xp $120 Bux. But Zilch. Tried System Restore, Restore Points Been Wiped. At The Moment I Just Want It To Boot And Thats It. All Files Were All Ready Gone So Not Fusses About That.

Desperate For A Hand Guys. Been To Over 200 Websites... (understatement) Downloaded A Few Iso's... a few programmes... IMGBurn, N Lite BurnAware, MagicDisc, Magiciso, 7zip, Winzip, Thousands Of Drivers, utorrent BLAHBLAH BLAH lol So Please Help Me Out. Still Pretty Basic At This Stuff.

Edited by Tripredacus
removed email address

YOUR HDD does the same thing in FRIEND'S laptop?

You said "Tried System Restore, Restore Points Been Wiped." Does that mean the SATA drive has NOT been "wiped" (i.e. "cleaned/formatted")? I ask because you ALSO said "All Files Were All Ready Gone".

Now, IF the Problem stemmed from what you INITIALLY stated ("Updates then battery died") and you did NOT "wipe" the HDD (do you know how?) then...

In addition, if IN THE BIOS SETUP (can you get into it?) you have SATA=AHCI instead of (e.g.) IDE, then XP will NOT Install from a CD without SATA Drivers (besides the fact that IF the Vista is STILL there, you shouldn't attempt to install it). Set the BIOS to IDE/PATA Mode instead of SATA. You COULD have some "boogered" SATA Drivers being Installed at the time of Failure (that's what I've gleaned from my search).

Usually, there's a SPECIAL key sequence given by manufacturers that allows for a AS FROM FACTORY Restore. You undoubtedly have a "boogered" Boot Sequence.

edit - one searched link led to this link.

Edited by submix8c

Hi There I Tried System Repair And That Said Something Along the lines of no harddrive or whatever, Tried Diskpart That Only Came Up With The Vista Disk, Then Xp Disk Says:

Setup Did Not Find Any Hard Disk Drives Installed in your computer.

make sure any hard disk drives are powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any disk related hardware configuration is correct.this may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup program.

Setpup cannot continue. To Quit Setup, press F3.

As For That Drive Fitness Test, After Loading And Choosing Options..

Device List

No Device Address Device Name Capacity

<empty>

Is This Device List Correct?

Yes No

Rescanned Advance Test......... Nothing :( will try recovery cd again just incase . Cheers. Really Appreciate It, And If I Can Get It Fixed I Know So Many Others Will Be On This Forum

Ok, So Ive Read Around And Along The Lines Ive Found This.

T

here is nothing wrong with the drive.

You have to do one of these 2 things, as XP does NOT contain drivers for any SATA devices. It will NEVER, EVER be able to "see" an SATA drive unless you do 1 of these 2 things.

1. In your BIOS, there is a setting for the SATA controller. You can set it to work in AHCI mode, or IDE mode. You can set it to IDE mode. The install will then be able to see the hard drive. If you want to run in AHCI mode, then you MUST do this......

2. Obtain the AHCI drivers for your particular motherboard, and controller chipset, (not the RAID drivers, they are something entirely different) and supply them to the XP install when you are prompted for them, after hitting "F6". (When you hit F6, the install will continue for a minute or so, then it will prompt you to insert the disk containing the needed drivers)

There is no other way around it, you must do one of these 2 things to install XP onto a SATA drive.

Of course there is a 3rd alternative, if your laptop supports it, you can install either Vista or Win7, they both have driver support built into the install program for AHCI SATA mode.

Now My Asus F5r Doesnt Have Any Options In The Bios To Change Sata Driver? So What Do I Do.....

Hi There I Tried System Repair And That Said Something Along the lines of no harddrive or whatever

What "System repair", booting from what ?

Tried Diskpart That Only Came Up With The Vista Disk, Then Xp Disk Says:

Setup Did Not Find Any Hard Disk Drives Installed in your computer.

If Vista install CD doesn't see your disk (when booted from cd), there is a problem. Is it properly detected by Bios ?

Ive Read Around And Along The Lines Ive Found This.

There is nothing wrong with the drive.

Wow, Internet Really Is Amazing, It Can Even Virtually Test Your Disk For You And Set Uppercase For Every Word.

XP does NOT contain drivers for any SATA devices. It will NEVER, EVER be able to "see" an SATA drive unless you do 1 of these 2 things.

XP does contain SATA drivers, which proportion of today's controllers I don't know (as it came out in 2001). As I don't see Asus providing XP "F6 (Text Mode)" drivers for your computer, I assume XP has them already.

As for now, you gave lots of info but none of them precise enough to really know if

-your disk physically has a problem

-the file system is shot

-you really wiped anything or not ( you "tried" a lot but never actually say what happened)

So we don't know if the part needs to be changed or if a factory recovery is possible or an OS reinstall (XP or Vista) or even a total repair of your former OS is possible.

This happens a lot from here. If I post a reply or a new post it looks like nothing is happening.

If I edit a post the edit goes through immediately.

Sorry for the double post.

Edited by NATO

Maybe you need to use a Recovery Disc CD for Windows Vista.

Create a Recovery CD

If you have this one, try to repair the Startup...

For Windows XP

Recovery console

But it seems that you need to change your hard drive, and reinstall the OS.

Regards

Just tried the link you give for the Recovery Console and it is in French, which is OK for me but might not suit everyone.

So if you want an English version with multilingual keyboard support try this site: http://artellos.com/arcdc-page

If you need a Recovery Console with US English only keyboard try this link: http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Thanks for the Recovery CD for XP english link! ;)

Why not getting it from the "mouth of the wolf", for the exact OS you have, updated to the exact SP level you need and create out of it a .iso?

Here:

http://reboot.pro/2254/

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994

and no, the good MS guys didn't make a SP3 version, AFAIK. :(

jaclaz