Network Problems

bookie32

Hi guys :hello:

OK! Got a little bit of a problem with a customer computer.....I can get Internet connection from the Express Gate on the Asus motherboard, but as soon as I login to Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit the connection is initially there and then after about 30 seconds it disappears.

Now as I have said the network card is working fine outside of Windows....

I wasn't sure when at the customers what it could be (forgot to check the Express Gate). It looked like there was a network connection problem and on trying to fix it it came up no contact with the dns server.... I can deactivate the network card and reactivate it again and for a few seconds I have Internet....then nada :wacko:

I have tried another separate network card in case it was faulty but...nada it isn't hardware related.

I thought that maybe some virus had hijacked the computer and shut of the internet connection...can't find a virus?!!

Another thing that has come up that wasn't there before when I delivered the computer - is I am not getting any processor info for some reason?! I will check the bios updates for that - just seems strange that every thing was working fine before....

I can restore to an image that I created of the computer before delivery, but it would be nice to know what is causing this.

Of course - the network and processor problems don't have to be related....but one wonders what is happening?

Any ideas...please say!

bookie32

Hi again :huh:

Looks like I was wrong on the virus front....I checked and rechecked with different offline media and sure enough there were different types of viruses on the computer. It was 01:00 ...too tired to write down the different problems....

It would also seem that the two problems were related because I now can see processor information etc....

One thing still bothers me about the setup at my customers...I live on a huge estate with 1033 apartments and a customer had a problem whereby he could see others in home network....thing is he didn't have a home network. I got in contact with our broadband supplier and they had updated some switches in different buildings which was the reason for the problem....and would be sorted as soon as they could.

Now the same situation exists at this customers apartment. He can see others in his network and ...yes, you got it ....he doesn't have a network.

I have approached his supplier, but they say there is no such problem....I will retest when I return the computer today...just that he pays for a separate broadband connection, so why is he seeing others on his so called network?

Thoughts, please!

bookie32

I'd make sure that all computers going into locations such as that use the Public Network option rather than Home Network. If Home Network is enabled, Windows 7 will look for other computers that are set for Home Network as well.

Hi Tripredacus!

OK! I understand what you are saying...the thing is in general people set their networks to home and not work or public. The average user doesn't understand the concept.

Even if I live in a building where there are twelve flats I don't expect to see other computers from my neighbours on my network. Yes, I understand that if you have a wireless connection - then your wireless connection will find any other computers protected/not protected.

Even if I set my computers to home network when connecting to the internet for the first time - I don't see my neighbours computers and I shouldn't see them.

Yes, I should see my computers in my network but not anyone outside. It would seem that this company have installed their system so that all flats in the building are part of the same network and the is unacceptable in my book.

It doesn't matter how I set up my network inside my flat - I can't see anyone else.......

Attached is the situation after reinstating his computer today. He is OLLE-DATOR. I can't see any situation here where it involves someones place of residence where the situation in the pic is acceptable.

bookie32

It would seem that this company have installed their system so that all flats in the building are part of the same network and the is unacceptable in my book.

It would appear so. It isn't the securest method of prividing service. If any of the company's systems are on that network (like accounting or whatever) then they are open to be attacked, even if they don't show up in the Network list. That may be enough motivation for them to set their network up differently.

Hi Tripredacus :hello:

I have contacted the broadband supplier today and the guy I spoke to said it shouldn't be like that....I said, well, it would be nice if someone would listen to me and do something about it.

He is now going to send out an engineer to fix it.

I still don't hold out much hope of that....brought this up several times with their support office....

They weren't interested in my pics either.

I have, however, told the women in charge of negotiations regarding broadband for the residents that this problem exists and not to let them fob her off....

It remains to be seen what will happen.

thanks!

bookie32