Manually install Microsoft Update Activex

Hi all:

I've tried to install manually the "Microsoft Update Activex" with no luck. I enter the "Microsoft Update" webpage and i would like Internet Explorer not offers to install the activex control.

Is there any way to install this?

Thanks

Please read more carefully, submix8c. chuchi2k2 wants something else.

As far as I know Microsoft does not offer a standalone installer for the Microsoft Update ActiveX control. To install the files yourself for 32-bit versions of Windows XP and 2003, you will need to download the needed files directly from Microsoft at the following URLs:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/microsoftupdate/a/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/mucltui.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/microsoftupdate/a/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/mucltui_en.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/microsoftupdate/a/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/muweb.cab

You may need a different localization file in place of mucltui_en.cab. In this case replace "en" in the CAB file name with the code for your locale in the URL above.

Next you need to extract the DLL and MUI files from the CABs. Rename "mucltui.dll.mui_??" to "mucltui.dll.mui" and copy the extracted DLL and MUI files to "%SystemRoot%\system32".

And finally, open a command prompt or Run window (press WindowsKey+R) and type the following commands to register the DLLs:

RegSvr32.exe "%SystemRoot%\system32\mucltui.dll"
RegSvr32.exe "%SystemRoot%\system32\muweb.dll"

To use Microsoft Update by default instead of Windows Update, further steps are involved which I'll detail if you'd like.

OK... there was a project called MSDBuild that may help with many/most questions.

Here is another reference to it.

Here (inside) is a link to an Add-On.

These items (if you know what to look for) will give you information on "manually" installing and registering.

However, this topic is in the Unattended Subforum and I treated it as such....

edit -

Translate this from French

http://www.forum-unattend.fr/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=310

Also links to this (translate it from Italian)

http://www.wincert.net/forum/topic/3338-microsoft-windows-update-true-addon-ita/

Led to OnePiece Add-Ons (ITA, and ENG is just above it).

....FWIW....

another edit - a nifty topic that RyanVM participated in (last posts refer back to MSDBuild project).

Edited by submix8c

I follow these steps:

Download the cabs, copy dll and mui files to system32, register two dll's.

When I open Internet Explorer and go to "Security - Windows Update" the WINDOWS UPDATE web page opens, and let me to choose what type of installation i want (Express or customize).

What i want is when i click on "Security - Windows Update" the MICROSOFT UPDATE web page opens, instead of WINDOWS UPDATE. => To do this, i execute a vbs script (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa826676(v=vs.85).aspx). (I think this script downloads muauth.cab from Internet and set various regkeys, of course the script tells to the Windows Agent to use MICROSOFT UPDATE instead of WINDOWS UPDATE to download new updates.) I would like to do this without Internet connection (trough copy files or regkeys), but this is not imporant so far.

When i registered MICROSOFT UPDATE (trough vbs script), and opened "IE - Security - Windows Update", the web page opens and forces to me to install and ActiveX (Microsoft Update ActiveX), I do the steps says 5eraph but IE continues to forces to install the Activex.

Is the anyway to skip this Activex, or to install manually or to do something so when i open MICROSOFT UPDATE web page let me to choose what type of installation direclty (Express or customize)?

PD: This afternon i will try the other methods to see if it works

PD2: Please 5eraph, send me the steps to => "Use Microsoft Update by default instead of Windows Update, further steps are involved which I'll detail if you'd like"

Thanks a lot.

Please read more carefully, submix8c. chuchi2k2 wants something else.

As far as I know Microsoft does not offer a standalone installer for the Microsoft Update ActiveX control. To install the files yourself for 32-bit versions of Windows XP and 2003, you will need to download the needed files directly from Microsoft at the following URLs:

http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/microsoftupdate/a/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/mucltui.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/microsoftupdate/a/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/mucltui_en.cab
http://download.windowsupdate.com/v9/microsoftupdate/a/selfupdate/WSUS3/x86/Other/muweb.cab

You may need a different localization file in place of mucltui_en.cab. In this case replace "en" in the CAB file name with the code for your locale in the URL above.

Next you need to extract the DLL and MUI files from the CABs. Rename "mucltui.dll.mui_??" to "mucltui.dll.mui" and copy the extracted DLL and MUI files to "%SystemRoot%\system32".

And finally, open a command prompt or Run window (press WindowsKey+R) and type the following commands to register the DLLs:

RegSvr32.exe "%SystemRoot%\system32\mucltui.dll"
RegSvr32.exe "%SystemRoot%\system32\muweb.dll"

To use Microsoft Update by default instead of Windows Update, further steps are involved which I'll detail if you'd like.

post-356089-0-33213300-1338900969_thumb.

OK... you DO realize that you HAVE to have -

1 - Windows Genuine Advantage components ("legitcheckcontrol.dll" - you MUST be Genuine)

2 - Windows Update components (Microsoft Update components uses this)

3 - BITS (speeds up the download - USUALLY installed for Microsoft Update "recommended")

4 - Microsoft Update components (plus a "redirect" from old Windows Update)

* - note that it's unknown to me if the "datastore.ebd" has to be "wiped" and a "dummy" one installed (usually created the first time you use Windows Update which FORCES the WGA components)

? - DO you have these items completed?

Not sure how you got to Step#4 without going through the other steps. This is USUALLY what happens (in that order) when you first go to Microsoft Update. It really sounds like you're trying to "beat the system".

If I REALLY have to, I'll do a "fresh install" in a VPC just to clarify the "must installs" in the sequence they occur.

HTH

edit - THIS -

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

is where you're trying to get to. WindowsUpdate components (including an ActiveX) are needed before MicrosoftUpdate can be used. If you notice, IF you installed MU that there's a box on the right that says "Step Up To Windows Update" which is NOT an Independent function!

You HAVE to go through A to get to B! I am AGAIN assuming that you have "integrated" ("unattended") all Updates EXCEPT "MicrosoftUpdate" (because you didn't find and use the Add-On, but used instead the JUST "WindowsUpdate" Add-On) and NOW want the LAST "Step#4". It MIGHT be easier (on a RUNNING system) to just look into HOW to "reinstall" the WHOLE FULL OnePiece ADDON!

I could have SWORN that this topic was in the "Unattended" Sub-forum!!!! YOU ARE NOT ASKING FOR AN UNATTENDED FIX!!!!

Edited by submix8c

Sorry for the delay, chuch2k2i; there was a death in the family. Further delays may be unavoidable.

PD2: Please 5eraph, send me the steps to => "Use Microsoft Update by default instead of Windows Update, further steps are involved which I'll detail if you'd like"

Since you're doing this after Windows has finished installing I'll need to improvise.

You will need a Datastore.edb file that is configured to use Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update. You can find one in ricktendo64's update pack, or download the following file extracted from his pack.

Datastore (Spanish locale).7z

To use the file: Extract the Datastore.edb file from the 7z file above. Open a Run window, type "Services.msc" and Stop the "Automatic Updates" service (or whatever the translated Spanish name may be for that service). Copy the Spanish version of Datastore.edb you just extracted into the "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore" folder. Now Start the "Automatic Updates" service you just stopped.

Alternately you could use the following commands using the Spanish service name instead of using the Services.msc GUI:

net stop "automatic updates"
copy /y datastore.edb "%systemroot%\softwaredistribution\datastore\"
net start "automatic updates"

Edited by 5eraph

Hi submix8c:

In my unattended DVD of Windows XP already have these components:

1.- WGA components (Installed after first Administrator logon through WPI) => 892130.exe and 905474.exe

2.- WU components (Installed after first Administrator logon through WPI) => WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe (7.4.7600.226)

3.- BITS (Not sure but i think it's included with any other update)

4.- MU => This is the incognit (the redirect is doing by the vbs script posted earlier.)

5.- Added others Critical Windows Updates (until May 2012) (Instaled at T13-stage)

I think everything is installed OK. After installs a copy of my unattended DVD, If i go to Windows Update webpage trough IE (not asking for install and activex) and check for updates (Customized) there aren't any available critical updates. (wich seems OK).

The problem is when i run the vbs script (to redirect WU to MU and tells Automatic Updates to check in MU instead of WU), and go to Windows Update (automatically redirects to Microsoft Update) trough IE, it asking me to install the activex.

I Will continue to do some test to see if i fix the problem.

Thanks a lot for the reply.

OK... you DO realize that you HAVE to have -

1 - Windows Genuine Advantage components ("legitcheckcontrol.dll" - you MUST be Genuine)

2 - Windows Update components (Microsoft Update components uses this)

3 - BITS (speeds up the download - USUALLY installed for Microsoft Update "recommended")

4 - Microsoft Update components (plus a "redirect" from old Windows Update)

* - note that it's unknown to me if the "datastore.ebd" has to be "wiped" and a "dummy" one installed (usually created the first time you use Windows Update which FORCES the WGA components)

? - DO you have these items completed?

Not sure how you got to Step#4 without going through the other steps. This is USUALLY what happens (in that order) when you first go to Microsoft Update. It really sounds like you're trying to "beat the system".

If I REALLY have to, I'll do a "fresh install" in a VPC just to clarify the "must installs" in the sequence they occur.

HTH

edit - THIS -

http://www.update.mi...t.aspx?ln=en-us

is where you're trying to get to. WindowsUpdate components (including an ActiveX) are needed before MicrosoftUpdate can be used. If you notice, IF you installed MU that there's a box on the right that says "Step Up To Windows Update" which is NOT an Independent function!

You HAVE to go through A to get to B! I am AGAIN assuming that you have "integrated" ("unattended") all Updates EXCEPT "MicrosoftUpdate" (because you didn't find and use the Add-On, but used instead the JUST "WindowsUpdate" Add-On) and NOW want the LAST "Step#4". It MIGHT be easier (on a RUNNING system) to just look into HOW to "reinstall" the WHOLE FULL OnePiece ADDON!

I could have SWORN that this topic was in the "Unattended" Sub-forum!!!! YOU ARE NOT ASKING FOR AN UNATTENDED FIX!!!!

5eraph, my sincere condolences.

I will check the ricktendo64' update pack (didn't know it).

Copy the new DataStore.edb (configured for MU) appears to be OK. The windows update redirects automatically to Microsoft Update, but stills asking me to install the activex.

I tried to do this with a fresh copy of DataStore and another copy of this file having click on "Customized Updates" (the DataStore.edb increases the size) with no luck. (both of them configured for MU)

I will continue to do some test...

Thanks a lot.

Sorry for the delay, chuch2k2i; there was a death in the family. Further delays may be unavoidable.

Since you're doing this after Windows has finished installing I'll need to improvise.

You will need a Datastore.edb file that is configured to use Microsoft Update instead of Windows Update. You can find one in ricktendo64's update pack, or download the following file extracted from his pack.

Datastore (Spanish locale).7z

To use the file: Extract the Datastore.edb file from the 7z file above. Open a Run window, type "Services.msc" and Stop the "Automatic Updates" service (or whatever the translated Spanish name may be for that service). Copy the Spanish version of Datastore.edb you just extracted into the "%SystemRoot%\SoftwareDistribution\DataStore" folder. Now Start the "Automatic Updates" service you just stopped.

Alternately you could use the following commands using the Spanish service name instead of using the Services.msc GUI:

net stop "automatic updates"
copy /y datastore.edb "%systemroot%\softwaredistribution\datastore\"
net start "automatic updates"

You keep referring back to this believing that this "fixes" it. Reread the link. It does NOT install stuff. It is just for the Service! There's more to it than that.

Microsoft Update is for finding Updates to, e.g. Office, SQL Server, etc... Those items generally "above and beyond OS-oriented". It APPEARS as if you are "slipstreaming" via Manual (T13) and WPI. If that's the case, you may want to look over Ricktendo's package and figure out (since it's for Spanish) and "extract" that portion out. Please note that Ricktendo's Add-On is made for nLite (as is the SINGLE WU/MU package I pointed to). It may be easier to "reconstruct" the Add-On I linked to using Ricktendo's Spanish-Specific differences then "create" an Installer for use with WPI.

OR... look into nLite since you already have the Spanish Updates (how did you get them?) and use Add-On's instead (OnePiece link as a sample) - OR just use Ricktendo's Full Add-On Package with nLite.

Why don't you just create a new DVD?

AGAIN!!!!! This Topic is in the UNATTENDED Subforum!!!!!!!

(It APPEARS that there's more to MU than what's been given so far - get the OnePiece Add-On and look inside the INF...)

@5eraph - my condolences as well.