Backup Multiple Network Computers

hyunkeru

I need to start a new project to backup about 50 computers within my local company network. I'm a newbie to 2K8, and I don't know much about networking. I have the AD administrator rights to access any computer in the network. We have Win7, XP, 2K3 and 2K8 in the network. I need to backup all emails (Outlook, Thunderbird and outlook express, and possible the email filter ruler too) and my documents for all users once a week. Do I have to share the specific folders on every single computer in order to do the backup? Someone suggest Handy Backup Network Server, anyone use it before or is there any better solution. Thanks.

I am not keen of paid solution for backup desktop computer but i think symantec backup exec with dlo option will do a better job if you're going with paid solution.

But you could access remotely to the admin shares of the desktop computer and backup them using for example robocopy on a share.

And you didn't say anything about the size of data to backup and where you're going to store it (tape / disk ?) and for how long (keeping only one backup isn't really secure). Some best practices is to backup everyday and keep data for 2 weeks then keep only one backup per week (usually the week end one) for 4 or 5 weeks then keep one of them for 1 year (so 12 or 13 monthly backup) and so on. Also backups have to be stored in a remote secure location in case of a fire happens. But thats' only the best practices, there are other alternatives.