Windows 8 Release Preview download available

Mr Snrub

Anybody else seeing this when booting from the ISO on VirtualBox...

post-12166-0-16736800-1338522712_thumb.p

?

SHA1 hash matches.

Google gives no results yet.

Edited by -X-

From bugcodes.h:

0x5D == UNSUPPORTED_PROCESSOR

Installed Win8 RP x86 and x64 versions from the ISOs in Hyper-V VMs without a problem.

I guess VirtualBox needs an update for its emulated processor type.

Thanks for the links on post 1.

---------------------------------

Andrea,

Can I create a new partition out of an old one, D or E for example, and install W8 RP on that new one? I've already got 4 partitions: C (Win 7), D, E and H (Win 8 CP). H was made out of D. Can I have another one for W8 RP? W8 CP is working so good and I don't want to destroy it at all to upgrade to W8 RP.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

System Requirements

Windows 8 Release Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:

Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster

RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)

Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)

Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver

Additional requirements to use certain features:

To use touch, you need a tablet or a monitor that supports multitouch.

To access the Windows Store and to download and run apps, you need an active Internet connection and a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.

To snap apps, you need a screen resolution of at least 1366 x 768.

Internet access (ISP fees might apply)

(highlighted the relevant parts) :whistle:

jaclaz

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

System Requirements

Windows 8 Release Preview works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7:

NO! I've been trying to install this for over 2 hours now. I've tried multiple PCs too. Even one that had Windows 8 Consumer Preview on it. No amount of SATA drivers seem to be working. It appears that RP has even less mass storage support than CP did. :crazy:

Interesting. From the MS thread...

I had the same problem but just found out that the CPU check is skipped when you run setup.exe from the folder Windows8-ReleasePreview-32bit-English\sources.

Seems to be working from within the Consumer Preview...

EDIT: Failed! Same error.

Edited by -X-

I know you can bypass this if you use MDT to deploy Windows 8 (it allows you to skip certain checks, including CPU), but I don't have a machine to test that on that fails the CPU check.

It's very interesting, though - either the vCPU or vBIOS isn't telling the Windows 8 installer something it supports properly, or there's some other undocumented check. I've got a Core2Quad 9550 that runs it fine in Hyper-V, and an i5 2467M that also run it ok under Hyper-V on both 2008 R2 and Windows Server 2012 CP. Not sure what it is about that vCPU or the vBIOS (or both) in VirtualBox, but I have heard complaints that running Win8 RP under VirtualBox is painfully slow on higher-end hardware underneath, so YMMV with VirtualBox in any case.

I guess it'd be interesting if a VM running inside VirtualBox on that system really was reporting if NX was enabled inside the VM via something like CoreInfo. That error code usually indicates the answer is no for some reason.

SCOOP! :w00t:

The sentence:

as it was originally written :unsure::ph34r::

Windows 8 Release Preview probably works great on the same hardware that powers Windows 7 , that is if -and only if - it is recent and powerful and has compatible vCPU or the vBIOS (or both), but we never talked of Virtual Machines, did we? (and in any case not non-MS ones)

:whistle:

;)

jaclaz