Now they're chopping up the Start Button's bones

JorgeA

Just to be clear, the 90-day evaluation version is the Enterprise version, NOT the RTM retail version, not that I think it will make a difference as far as Classic Shell is concerned. In fact, most people who this version applies to "already have access to the final bits and do not need to download this 90-day evaluation".

Cheers and Regards

Just to be clear, the 90-day evaluation version is the Enterprise version, NOT the RTM retail version, not that I think it will make a difference as far as Classic Shell is concerned. In fact, most people who this version applies to "already have access to the final bits and do not need to download this 90-day evaluation".

Cheers and Regards

Oh,I did not know this.

I thought that the 90 day evaluation version was Windows 8 Enterprise RTM version.But an evaluation version that lasts only for 90 days. And that it was the same as the final version,that goes out on sale in October.

Can you explain more about this?

And does that mean that the final version of Windows 8 that goes out on sale in October,will be different,yet again, from the versions we are using now? Andrea Borman.

Edited by andreaborman

The Enterprise version of 8 is different from the Retail/Home versions of 8 in the same way that Win7 Enterprise is different from Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate, etc. The same way that Win 2003 is different from XP. The same way that Enterprise (business) versions of Windows OS, meant for an installation with many interconnected PC's, have always been different from Home versions. There are a few different features and there are different activation methods. Sometimes certain apps will work on one and not the other. There are commonalities, and the differences probably won't effect the use of Classic Shell. Whether any of the versions will be different in any way at final release than they are now is rather doubtful at this point, but we'll have to see.

Cheers and Regards

The Enterprise version of 8 is different from the Retail/Home versions of 8 in the same way that Win7 Enterprise is different from Win7 Pro or Win7 Ultimate, etc. The same way that Win 2003 is different from XP. The same way that Enterprise (business) versions of Windows OS, meant for an installation with many interconnected PC's, have always been different from Home versions. There are a few different features and there are different activation methods. Sometimes certain apps will work on one and not the other. There are commonalities, and the differences probably won't effect the use of Classic Shell. Whether any of the versions will be different in any way at final release than they are now is rather doubtful at this point, but we'll have to see.

Cheers and Regards

Yes,there is a Windows 7 Enterprise but it is only for offices and you can buy it if you have a Microsoft Technet paid subscription. It's not on sale in the shops. And I think that Windows 8 Enterprise is like that.

From what I read,there will be a Windows 8 which is like Windows 7 Home Premium. And there will be a Windows 8 Professional which is like Windows 7 Professional and has more features. When I looked on the Technet website there is a Windows 8 pro,both 32 bit and 64 bit. But it is only for paid subscribers. There is also a permanent version of Windows 8 Enterprise that does not expire after 90 days. But that too, is only for paid subscribers.

And to get those versions, and other versions of Windows, it said on the website that you must have a full paid subscription. And that costs around £499 which most people,including me, cannot afford.

So ordinary people like us will have to make do with the Windows 8 RTM 90 day evaluation build.Or Windows 8 RP until October comes. When we will be able to buy a full copy of Windows 8 in the shops. And that will be the permanent version.

But I just hope when Windows 8 goes on sale in October,that we can buy a full installation DVD. Not an upgrade DVD as I want to do a clean install.Not an upgrade install. Andrea Borman.

There is a new alternative Start Button out there: Start Button 8. You get several different buttons and looks to pick from, and as a bonus it provides a nifty revived Start Menu. (From the folks who brought us Start Menu 7.)

Well Classic Shell has now been updated last Saturday. The new version now also has the option to disable the charms bar in Windows 8. So now,not only can you boot to the desktop but you can also disable the charms bar.

I still have not installed Windows 8 RTM. But I am told that Classic Shell works in Windows 8 RTM.

Start 8 is a waste of time because as I said before it does nothing. All it does is provide a link to the Metro start menu. Start 8 will not give you a Windows start menu. And that's not what I and most people want.

And you can bring up the Metro start menu by clicking on the charms bar. Or by turning off Classic Shell and clicking the left hand corner. You don't need Start 8 for that.

And Start 8 is NOT made by the same people who make Start Menu 7. I have used Start Menu 7. And that also gives you the start button and a customized Windows 7 start menu. Andrea Borman.

Edited by andreaborman

There is a new alternative Start Button out there: Start Button 8. You get several different buttons and looks to pick from, and as a bonus it provides a nifty revived Start Menu. (From the folks who brought us Start Menu 7.)

Well Classic Shell has now been updated last Saturday. The new version now also has the option to disable the charms bar in Windows 8. So now,not only can you boot to the desktop but you can also disable the charms bar.

I still have not installed Windows 8 RTM. But I am told that Classic Shell works in Windows 8 RTM.

Start 8 is a waste of time because as I said before it does nothing. All it does is provide a link to the Metro start menu. Start 8 will not give you a Windows start menu. And that's not what I and most people want.

And you can bring up the Metro start menu by clicking on the charms bar. Or by turning off Classic Shell and clicking the left hand corner. You don't need Start 8 for that.

And Start 8 is NOT made by the same people who make Start Menu 7. I have used Start Menu 7. And that also gives you the start button and a customized Windows 7 start menu. Andrea Borman.

Make sure not to confuse "Start Button 8" with "Start8." Start8 is from Stardock, while Start Button 8 is by the developer of Start Menu 7, Denys Nazarenko (check out the "Windows 8 Start Button" link near the top right on that page).

I agree with you about Start8: it's just a miniature version of the Metro screen -- and "all things Metro" is one of the things I'd like to stay away from! About the only advantage of Start8 over the Metro screen is that it doesn't take over the whole monitor, so that you can open it and still follow complicated instructions in a window elsewhere on the screen.

--JorgeA

Well JorgeA,I have taken a look at that link you showed me. And the start 8 you were talking about is NOT the same as the start 8 from Stardock.It is called Start Button 8.

Vista Start Menu has been discontinued. And has been replaced with Start Menu 7,Which is also called Start Menu X. And this Start Button 8 you told me about is the same as Start Menu 7. And it is for all versions of Windows not just Windows 8. I have just tried it on my Windows XP and it gives you the windows 7 start button.And a Windows 7 start menu just like Start Menu 7 does. Well they are in fact the same product.Maybe with just a few differences.

But as for Stardocks Start 8,forget it. It is a waste of space. Andrea Borman.

• 1 month later...

This may be the kernel of truth in what Paul Thurrott reported a few months back, and which got this thread started:

"Microsoft made some changes to Windows that prevent the .scf hack from working correctly," said Rafael Rivera in an email reply to questions. Rivera blogs at WithinWindows.com and along with Paul Thurrott, is the co-author of Windows 8 Secrets, a book slated for release next month.

The ".scf hack" Rivera referred to was first disclosed in April, and allowed users of Windows 8 Consumer Preview to circumvent the tile-based Start screen and automatically shift to the familiar desktop after logging on.

(Here's the link for the .scf hack.)

Not exactly a Start Button killer (more like a "Metro Start Menu bypass killer"), but I wonder if that's what the reports about code being removed were about.

--JorgeA