Drive Order

NATO

I have installed WinXP  and Win7 on two different disks, in both cases with just that one disk connected furing install.

I think maybe I shoud have done it differently, but if I knew how I suppsose it should be possible to create a dual boot system

So I looked at an earlier post

"Do this test:

• add grldr to first partition
  • add to the BOOT.INI in first partition a line: C:\grldr="grub4dos"
  • when booting, select "grub4dos" and you will get to the grub> prompt
  • at it type (without double quotes): "find --set-root /bootmgr" and press [ENTER]
  • then: "root" [ENTER] <- you should have here (hd0,1) as feedback
  • then: "chainloader /bootmgr" [ENTER]
  • then "boot" [ENTER]
  • and the windows 7 on second partition should boot normally"

but I am not getting anywhere. Adding the grldr line to boot.ini is of no use, the line gets shifted to the bottom of the file and I suppose that makes it useless.

I have grldr and a grub4dos zipfile that I think must be the one I've used before.

I presume to begin with that I only have to worry about the first, XP-drive.

Well, no real need to suppose,  "adding" means "adding at the bottom".

If you prefer, edit the BOOT.INI in such a way that it's last line reads:

C:\grldr="grub4dos"

Or, given that your current one looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Edit it so that it looks like this:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\grldr="grub4dos"

At next boot, no matter if you are currently booting the XP (through the NTLDR) or the 7 (through BOOTMGR) you should have an added choice to choose "grub4dos".

Make sure that the BOOT.INI has a decent timeout value, like 10 seconds or more.

jaclaz

Nice to see you're still here jaclaz!

And maybe a miracle that I still am as well.

I gshoudl apologize but I messed up. I was attempting to work on my 'old' computer that already was working satisfactorily even if the boot process got a little messed up du to some problems long ago. but it works and that's what counts.

The problem was that I keep movong the VGA cable between the old and the newer machine I am setting up and was not awqre that i worked on the wrong machine.

But I am happy to report that I follwed the instructions quoted slavishly, and evruthing wotked just the way it should, to my great relief.

I have had a terrible time for the past month; I was stupid enough to buy a secondhand motherboard and it gave me a lot of problems that i was not prepared for and they have not been good for me, I will after all soon be 85. I had planned on upgradign the old 'puter but i was smart enough not even to make an attempt so I got a secondhand Corsair cabinet that made it possblle to manipulate stuff with ease, and with this last triumph of mine - thanks to your old instructions I now have it going the way I love to use.

Nice to see your'e still available in case of distress but I think the worst is over now and I can startr using the new setup for the project I have in mind.

I felt like having a nervous breakdown this morning but with the help of a Valium now and then  (and I not in the habit of munching any drugs!) I seem to be able to keep it in check until I regain what strengths I still have.

Thanks a lot for all you've done for me! Reading tutorials on how to implement mulitboot is a it ever my hesd, too much to deal with at one time so you brief test setup was a godsend.

With that, the best of luck for you and yours from me here in Norway! Drive carefully and you may grow even older than me, I only hope the future will see a world coming back to the good old times when nobody would think such an absurd thought that police in Norway should be armed.

Cheerio, Rolf

Roffen ... Well with what you posted ...  "I will after all soon be 85" ... you were able to get things figured out! ... I've read what jaclaz has posted (twice) and I have no idea what he's talking about. 

I guess I need to get a little older to gain more wisdom !

I should be greatful I don't have this problem ... probably would have to throw my computer away.

monroe

Allright I think I have discovered what mistakes I've been making, missing some spaces in typinge the grub commands.

Now, at the grub> prompt I type

find root ...

and the return is hd1,1 , which is the 2nd drive, with Win7 installed. 1st drive is the primary boot disk with XP installed.

then chainloader /bootmgr, where I missed the space and got an error msg.

Now  I get (hd1,1)

and chainloader /bootmgr follwed with boot boots the 2nd, Win7 disk.

Voila!

What is missing and needs to be fixed before I can get the win7 disk to boot from the menu?

Here are the contents of the two roots:

First drive (XP) root:

A              C:\asusdisp.log
A              C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
A  SHR     C:\boot.ini
A              C:\CONFIG.SYS
A              C:\grldr
A  SHR     C:\IO.SYS
A  SHR     C:\MSDOS.SYS
A  SHR     C:\NTDETECT.COM
A  SHR     C:\ntldr
A  SH       C:\pagefile.sys

2nd drive (Win7) root:
A             E:\autoexec.bat
A  SHR    E:\bootmgr
A  SHR    E:\BOOTSECT.BAK
A             E:\config.sys
A  SH      E:\hiberfil.sys
A  SHR    E:\IO.SYS
A  SHR    E:\MSDOS.SYS
A  SHR    E:\NTDETECT.COM
A  SHR    E:\ntldr
A  SH      E:\pagefile.sys

Edited by Roffen

It's just a matter of adding (or editing) the entries in menu.lst according to what works in command line, like, as we saw on post #68:

http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/156859-drive-order/?p=1041375

Probably you want to have:

title boot XP from first disk

root (hd0,0)

chainloader /ntldr

title boot 7 from second disk

root (hd1,1)

chainloader /bootmgr

jaclaz

I am beaten.

Wouldn't the sensible thing be to scratch both drives, then with both drives connected all the time install XP and Win7, in that order on the respective drive? Wouldn't that result in a situation where there's very little that needs to be done to get what I want?

Edited by Roffen

I am afraid I have messed it all up. I removed the menu.lst and this now is the root of XP disk:

A             C:\asusdisp.log
A             C:\AUTOEXEC.BAT
A  SH       C:\boot.ini
A             C:\bootini.txt
A             C:\CONFIG.SYS
A             C:\grldr
A  SHR    C:\IO.SYS
A  SHR    C:\MSDOS.SYS
A  SHR    C:\NTDETECT.COM
A  SHR    C:\ntldr
A  SH      C:\pagefile.sys

Win7 disk:

A              E:\autoexec.bat
A  SHR     E:\bootmgr
A  SHR     E:\BOOTSECT.BAK
A              E:\config.sys
A  SH        E:\hiberfil.sys
A  SHR     E:\IO.SYS
A  SHR     E:\MSDOS.SYS
A  SHR     E:\NTDETECT.COM
A  SHR     E:\ntldr

First boot shows not boot.ini but shows two identical lines, "Windows default" and they will boot XP.

Is there a way that I can clean up whatever mess I've made on the XP disk?

?

You have an additional BOOTINI.TXT? Have you renamed something?

Jaclz, since the "C-Drive" (XP) appears to be OK, wouldn't it be simpler to have the "basic" BOOT.INI plus an added line calling GRLDR which in turn has a MENU.LST that hooks to Win7? Was that the (your) initial intent? That's the way I boot my 98SE.

BOOT.INI

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="The XP and other parameters following"C:\grldr="The Windows7 MENU.LST link"

MENU.LST

color black/cyan yellow/cyantimeout 30title Grldr Loading Windows 7map (hd1) (hd0)map (hd0) (hd1)map --hookroot (hd0,1)chainloader +1

Would that not work? :unsure:

(Note - those Timeout values are for me to have ample opportunity to interrupt if necessary.)

BTW, the above BOOT.INI is the usual standard (along with your original line). The 30-Seconds is just to give a chance to select the Second Boot. My original XP Pro BOOT.INI is as follows

[boot loader]timeout=30default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS[operating systems]multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetectC:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

As you can see, I had installed the XP Command Console and changed the Timeout to suit me. This should (theoretically) be (similarly) what's in yours. It seems that all you need from here is an additional line inserted and the appropriate MENU.LST. Using the above, you would only need the SECOND entry that Jaclaz indicated. The *only* reason I flip-flopped the HDD's identity is because that's *my* entry to boot Win98SE which requires it to be the "first" HDD on the "first" partition, which is *not* your case.

(sorry for the interjection - trying to clarify/help.)

P.S - No, you're not all messed up. Take it slow and easy and do *nothing* beyond what jaclaz *specifically* says to do.

Edited by submix8c

The txt file(s) are my way of saving things so I can bactrack my steps if I 'mess things up'.

I just finished putting your suggestions in place and will now promptly reset. Holding my breath...

ETA:

XP = OK

W7 No good

cmd: root (hd0,1) generates error 22, no such (path?)

cmd map --hook generates error 61, refuse to hook (int?)13 because of empty drive map table

My jotted notes, they look rather messy, I should have been a doctor...

Maybe we are not far from from the ultimate solution?

Although I'd like it better if booting of Win7 would be transparent and look as clean as that of XP.

Edited by Roffen

Well, no. :no:

If you modify the BOOT.INI as submix8c suggested and DO NOT have a menu.lst you will get to a grub> prompt.

If in it you type:

map (hd0) (hd1)

[ENTER]

map (hd1) (hd0)

[ENTER]

when you enter:

map --hook

[ENTER]

the mapping will succeed alright as you will have specified the drive map table.

BUT, in your case, there is no need for the Windows 7 to be "first disk", so you need not to remap nor hook anything, and as posted the:

title boot 7 from second diskroot (hd1,1)chainloader /bootmgr

should do nicely.

Please consider how the (hd1,1) in the above comes from your previous report, the first partition on second disk should be (hd1,0), and normally the BOOTMGR is on the first (active) partition.

jaclaz

Just a single partition on each drive, so a zero it is...

So we are there now!

Get a file system msg during Win 7 boot. Irrelevant.

Relieved, need a rest now.

Edited by Roffen

• 1 month later...

My old computer broke down, got me a 'new' one and will have Win XP and Win 7 on each their own hard disk. Keeping both drives connected, am I right in assuming that I then can install XP first, then Win7, and the multiboot I want will have been taken care of with nothing left for me to bother with?

Will either system drive appear as a C: volume when booted?

Edited by Roffen